What's new

Studio One add-on for adding MIDI CC automation lanes

Lukas

I thought about how to make it easier to add commonly used MIDI CCs. I came up with a script that adds a new command "Add Part Automation" to Studio One. It makes it easy to add automation lanes for one or more MIDI CCs, especially with VST3 instruments with long parameter lists where CCs often appear multiple times for all 16 MIDI channels or even MIDI ports.

With this command, you can quickly type in CC numbers or select them from the list and they will be added to the current track.

add-part-automation.png

For easier access of frequently used CCs, I've created some macros that can be used instead of the dialog window. You could also assign them to keyboard shortcuts or/and to Stream Deck buttons.

ccs.png

Another way to trigger the macros is via "Find Command". This is a quick command full-text search, so you can open this overlay and just type in "cc11" or "cc7". You can easily create additional macros for other CCs that you use frequently.

find-command.gif

I just added the new feature to my Navigation Essentials add-on (version 1.6) for Studio One.

Please note, that these are not "Automation Lane Presets", i.e. you cannot use the command to switch between automation lanes, but to create them.

The add-on is available here:

Anyone who already has the add-on can simply click on Info in the toolbar and download the update.

Let me know if you like it.

Last edited:
I thought about how to make it easier to add commonly used MIDI CCs. I came up with a script that adds a new command "Add Part Automation" to Studio One. It makes it easy to add automation lanes for one or more MIDI CCs, especially with VST3 instruments with long parameter lists where CCs often appear multiple times for all 16 MIDI channels or even MIDI ports.

With this command, you can quickly type in CC numbers or select them from the list and they will be added to the current track.

add-part-automation.png

For easier access of frequently used CCs, I've created some macros that can be used instead of the dialog window. You could also assign them to keyboard shortcuts or/and to Stream Deck buttons.

ccs.png

Another way to trigger the macros is via "Find Command". This is a quick command full-text search, so you can open this overlay and just type in "cc11" or "cc7". You can easily create additional macros for other CCs that you use frequently.

find-command.gif

I just added the new feature to my Navigation Essentials add-on (version 1.6) for Studio One.

Please note, that these are not "Automation Lane Presets", i.e. you cannot use the command to switch between automation lanes, but to create them.

Anyone who already has the add-on can simply click on Info in the toolbar and download the update.

Thanks a lot for this new features. Surely they will be very helpful to manage MIDI CCs.

add-part-automation.png

ccs.png

find-command.gif

Oh my word, Lukas, what a tremendous new feature to your add-on. For me, this removes a major peeve from Studio One. Thanks so much. Your contributions to the SO community are abundant and very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot Lukas. I´m also very happy about "Tack Names to Event". Any chance for a re-naming option in the "Add Part Automation" list ?

Any chance for a re-naming option in the "Add Part Automation" list ?
No, because the name of the automation lane is determined by the instrument that provides the parameter. It would be great, but Studio One doesn't allow for it at the moment. Same for removing default automation parameters or recalling automation lanes presets or related topics. Studio One product management will have to take a look at part automation for a future update to make this possible.

Last edited:
The problem is to "name" the midi CC for each virtual instruments. because the assignation is always different for each VSTi. I Use Reaper for that (not the alone reason but one of them).. With Reaper, You have a file named "midinotename" where it is possible to give and save a name for each note and Midi CC (used for virtual drums mapping, keyswtiches if we use them and very interesting for Midi CC). When we use for example VSL synchron libraries with about 20 or 30 assigned Midi CC, it is not a gadget ! It is easier to edit midi data when we see "vibrato" "portamentao" in our midi editor (not midicc XX or midi cc YY !)

It is easier to edit midi data when we see "vibrato" "portamentao" in our midi editor (not midicc XX or midi cc YY !)
Agreed. But as I said, it's not something I have control over. The need is well known.

For now, I've built something that is possible with current means and hopefully somewhat helpful.

Last edited:
I hope you have enough time left to make music!?
Thank you! :) There never seems to be enough time for making music, but I'm fortunate to have my bands and the chance to compose for theater and TV (even if it's mostly creating demos for stage pianos and sample libraries at the moment).

This is so good. The definitive solution would be implemented by presonus but this is enough to make the job easy. Thank you @Lukas

One question. Is it possible to select multiple midi channels and to create cc's for the entire selection? That would be awesome

does that Add Part Automation function work on studio one 5. just want to make sure because i got this error.

1713279939121.png

You're right, I did not test this command in version 5. No, sorry, it requires scripting functions that are not available in v5 :sad:

Last edited:
still thanks for the continuous and convenient function update on free content. i like them a lot. remember to note that some of function work only for newer version studio one

Hi Lucas, I ran in to a huge problem after updating Navigation Essentials to version 1.6. All my custom macros for nudging notes do not work anymore. When I go to edit macro and look at the arguments, the Amount should actually say value 0.07, but all over sudden it looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 143837.png

I spent countless days to build macros with your "Select Overlapping Notes" command from Scoring Tools and a following Nudge Events command for the legato delays for most of my libraries and none of them work anymore. This is quite a catastrophy for me. Your nudge macros from navigation Essentials work though ? Do you have an idea what happend ? Would it be fixed, if I could go back to the previews version ?

EDIT: When I re-build a macro from scratch, it works again. But when I load a backup of my macros, it doesn´t.

Last edited:
Don't worry, the macros aren't corrupted or something like that.

I have renamed the command category for Nudge Events to make Nudge Events compatible for people that have also installed my Scoring Tools product and want to use both add-ons.

I'll look into it and see what would be the easiest fix. I've sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Version 1.6.1 is now online and should make all user-defined macros using the Nudge Event and Forward/Rewind commands work again. The update can be downloaded by clicking on the Info button.

Top Bottom