What's new

Strings and Woodwinds with Trills/multiple-note-tremolos greater than a maj2nd?

Hey guys!

Does anyone of you know libraries that offer trills/multiple-note-tremolos that span more than a maj 2nd, with a nice dynamic range? Mainly strings and woodwinds. I come across these things pretty often in scores, and so far I have nothing really I can use for this in sample libraries - faking these with marcatos etc sounds rather terrible. I bought Symphonic Sphere from OT a while back which has these, but I find the sound not that great.

I'd much prefer something small that specializes in these kinds of articulations over another big expensive string library that I'd have to buy just for this stuff.

Anyone got anything good for this?

SSS and SCS has it. Not sure about the dynamic range though, those kind of articulations are often a bit neglected.

SSS and SCS has it. Not sure about the dynamic range though, those kind of articulations are often a bit neglected.
Thanks for the tip! I've checked on their website - at least for SSS they only seem to have sampled min3rd and maj3rd trills for 1st violins and cellos, but not for 2nd violins or violas. Which... is kinda strange. 2nd violins one could fake I guess. Violas not so much. Strange decision IMO.

Berlin Woodwind Trill intervals: HT, WT, min3, maj3, 4th
Ah true, I entirely forgot that I even complained about those in the oboes lately. o_O It seems the sound quality is a bit dependent on the specific notes played - guess how good it sounds very much depends on the finger acrobatics needed to pull these off.
Went straight ahead and double-checked Berlin Strings too in case I overlooked them, but unfortunately they don't have these articulations. Thanks TP!

Ah true, I entirely forgot that I even complained about those in the oboes lately. o_O It seems the sound quality is a bit dependent on the specific notes played - guess how good it sounds very much depends on the finger acrobatics needed to pull these off.
Went straight ahead and double-checked Berlin Strings too in case I overlooked them, but unfortunately they don't have these articulations. Thanks TP!
Spitfire seems to have minor and major 2nds and 3rds in their big string libraries (SSS, SStS, ARO Vlns 1 and Celli). SStS also has 4th trills.

The SF AR Violin 1 and Cellos have minor thirds and major thirds.

Afflatus impressionistic trills patch goes up to an octave (not available for basses).

Spitfire seems to have minor and major 2nds and 3rds in their big string libraries (SSS, SStS, ARO Vlns 1 and Celli). SStS also has 4th trills.
SCS is minor third and perfect fourth, but no major third.

ETA: OT's old Orchestral Sphere has string and woodwind trills up to a fifth. Strings are broken out by section, but woodwinds are an ensemble patch.

ETA2: the chord patches in Metropolis Ark 5 have measured trills (though fixed), which can also be useful for doing these sorts of blurred accompaniment figures with lots of back and forths in the inner parts.

Last edited:
VSL Elite strings (and probably many of their other strings) go to major and minor third trills.

Top Bottom