What's new

String Libraries with Portamento Legato like LASS

I already posted this in another thread but here it's again. Glissandi are no problem for Sample Modeling Strings as demonstrated in a small fragment from a reduced mockup of Bartók's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (as used in the Shining and Fargo 5th season episode 3)

Yeah this is crazy. Hard for me to believe all these libraries do what I want.

Here is an example of LASS doing what I want. A dramatic beautiful slide down (or up)...

I honestly thought SCS could do these types of Gliss. Was preparing to purchase it in the future partly because of this. Does SCS not do glissando?

I might have to take a look at LA SS or CH

I honestly thought SCS could do these types of Gliss. Was preparing to purchase it in the future partly because of this. Does SCS not do glissando?

I might have to take a look at LA SS or CH
You can definitely get that with SCS with the portamento articulation from the legato patches.

You can definitely get that with SCS with the portamento articulation from the legato patches.
I thought so. However, I don’t have the library yet. The OP stated in the first post that he does have it though. Perhaps someone with SCS will be kind enough to post an example here at some point.

I already posted this in another thread but here it's again. Glissandi are no problem for Sample Modeling Strings as demonstrated in a small fragment from a reduced mockup of Bartók's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (as used in the Shining and Fargo 5th season episode 3)

I'm interested in this, but the example here doesn't seem to have any gliss?

I'm interested in this, but the example here doesn't seem to have any gliss?
You are right! I see what you mean, they are there but very very understated. I migrated this project from Cubase to Logic and forgot to proper dial in CC-26. So in this attached version I isolated the gliss. part and exaggerated this param. Not fine-tuned yet. First solo, then in a bit context.
View attachment bakkerijbartok.mp3

Sample Modeling has a good YouTube video in which they show how this works.
From legato-portamento-glissando.

Thanks Maarten, ah ha - that's got it! Sounds very good to me. Do their ensembles have this too? If so does it sound natural?

There are sooo many ways to do a transition on string instruments.

One issue with portamento is:
Usually a string player doesn't slide all the way from one note to another.
E.g. when playing an octave, the player doesn't always slide from c3 - c4.
Instead, he places the finger on the next string on e.g. g3 (the 5th) and slides from there to c4 (the octave.)
So, the audible transition is only from g3 - c4 (a 4th).

Thats why I introduced the "offset" fader for the portamento transitions in all my orchestral libraries.
The original recording of the portamento transition is a complete slide from one note to the other.
(Every interval up to 1 octave up and down, with 2 dynamic layer))
The offset fader lets you cut the transition, so that you only hear a 4th, a subtle grace note, or any interval you like.

With the Combination of "speed" and "offset" fader, you are able to create a vast amount of portamento variations.
With perfect control over length and tuning with only 2 MIDI CCs.

Here is a tutorial video about Legato in the Chris Hein - Ensemble Strings.
The Portamento section starts at 1:40

The Glide-Mode offers another method to create smooth transitions, but thats another story. ;)

Chris Hein

Last edited:
Yep, I confirm that. Also part of why it's such a good bread and butter library since years.
Let's be really clear though, is that portamento or glissando? Or can you post an example? OP seems to be looking for a smooth glissando, not the standard portamento that's included in most libraries

Thanks Maarten, ah ha - that's got it! Sounds very good to me. Do their ensembles have this too? If so does it sound natural?
These glissandi were made with the smaller ensembles .nki (chamber strings(dry) which I used for the divisi parts. I haven't yet explored it for the bigger ensembles.
For solo violin, glissandi are more common and IMHO I think they sound very convincing.

"Does it sound natural?" In this context I think they do.
But in general you need to put a lot of expression and vibrato in these strings otherwise they sound synthetic. They've got a big learning curve but the results can be satisfying.

There are sooo many ways to do a transition on string instruments.

One issue with portamento is:
Usually a string player doesn't slide all the way from one note to another.
E.g. when playing an octave, the player doesn't always slide from c3 - c4.
Instead, he places the finger on the next string on e.g. g3 (the 5th) and slides from there to c4 (the octave.)
So, the audible transition is only from g3 - c4 (a 4th).

Thats why I introduced the "offset" fader for the portamento transitions in all my orchestral libraries.
The original recording of the portamento transition is a complete slide from one note to the other.
(Every interval up to 1 octave up and down, with 2 dynamic layer))
The offset fader lets you cut the transition, so that you only hear a 4th, a subtle grace note, or any interval you like.

With the Combination of "speed" and "offset" fader, you are able to create a vast amount of portamento variations.
With perfect control over length and tuning with only 2 MIDI CCs.

Here is a tutorial video about Legato in the Chris Hein - Ensemble Strings.
The Portamento section starts at 1:40

The Glide-Mode offers another method to create smooth transitions, but thats another story. ;)

Chris Hein

Thanks for bringing this up. I like and have your library but apparently I haven't invested enough time in exploring all the possibilities of the legato varieties. Interesting. I really liked the last part "A Day in the Life ' vibes or 'Pithoprakta'.

I've owned LASS now for a number of years and still haven't found any libraries that do the triggered slurry legato between two notes like LASS does.

I have most of the libraries out there... from Cinematic Studio Strings, Adagio, PS Pacific, CineStrings, to Spitfire Chamber and Symphonic Strings.

Am I missing something thats out there that can specifically do those dramatic slurry portamento legatos like LASS? Or nah?

I'd keep using LASS but want something with a better tone.
I forgot about the thread on Mancini style glissando. There might be some additional useful information here. Some of the examples might tickle your fancy.

How's MSS. There's an extreme offerr for lass owner...but I've not heard much about it.
My MSS "Chinese Noodle" test:

All sections on the close mic, no internal fx (just a volume bump after rendering).
All the strings were set up the same w/some tweaking for each
String Libraries with Portamento Legato like LASS

Vn2 divisi - legato set to "bloom" mode
Va1 Divisi - legato set to "normal" mode
Vc Divisi - Legato set to "bowed" mode
Cb pizz
View attachment Chinese Noodle.mp3

Let's be really clear though, is that portamento or glissando? Or can you post an example? OP seems to be looking for a smooth glissando, not the standard portamento that's included in most libraries
Not in the studio atm... But from what the product page says it seems to include only portamento, not gliss:

• Legato (Bowed)
  • Legato (Con Sord Portamento)
  • Legato (Con Sord)
  • Legato (Fast)
  • Legato (Fingered)
  • Legato (Flautando Portamento)
  • Legato (Flautando)
  • Legato (Portamento)
  • Legato (Runs)
  • Legato (Sul G)
  • Legato (Sul Pont)
  • Legato (Tremolo)