What's new

Strategies for surround templates when working with sample libraries

I thought the "Room Mix" mic channel in Synchron summed the Deca Tree mics, that's why I thought I would mute the "Room Mix" channel, is my interpretation incorrect?
That I don't know. I don't have any Synchron libraries. Maybe @Ben can help? I'm sure you can also find the information in the manual.

Finally, is using an Atmos setup required for outputting the stems to send to a mix engineer or could I do it all in stereo outputs for each mic and then the mix engineer could expand to Atmos?
It's usually no problem to work in stereo. It depends a bit on the production and on the mixing engineer. They will tell you exactly what they need. In most cases stereo stems are perfectly fine. I switched to Atmos so I can deliver tracks in that format myself. And I like working in Atmos. Its more immersive than stereo.

That I don't know. I don't have any Synchron libraries. Maybe @Ben can help? I'm sure you can also find the information in the manual.

It's usually no problem to work in stereo. It depends a bit on the production and on the mixing engineer. They will tell you exactly what they need. In most cases stereo stems are perfectly fine. I switched to Atmos so I can deliver tracks in that format myself. And I like working in Atmos. Its more immersive than stereo.
@Ben has been very helpful so hopefully he can chime in here

Since I only have 2 monitors, working Atmos is not in the cards right now (perhaps one day if I ever get to write a soundtrack for a Hollywood blockbuster)

Once again, thank you so much

Reactions: muk
I didn't read the whole thread thoroughly, but in case it hasn't been mentioned: The straight-forward way to use Synchron Instrument in surround is to use the dedicated surround version of the player and the actual surround Mixer Presets (not the downmixed ones). For 3D add a second surround output and use this for the four top-layer mics - this will give you full, natural 5.0.4 playback:

1713217204273.png

I didn't read the whole thread thoroughly, but in case it hasn't been mentioned: The straight-forward way to use Synchron Instrument in surround is to use the dedicated surround version of the player and the actual surround Mixer Presets (not the downmixed ones). For 3D add a second surround output and use this for the four top-layer mics - this will give you full, natural 5.0.4 playback:

1713217204273.png
I just started doing that - worked my way through the Flute section so far...

I have created 6 summing stacks in the Flute section:
  1. Close
  2. Mid
  3. Main + Main C
  4. Surround
  5. High
  6. High Surround
Each stack includes the named microphones from each of the instruments (Piccolo; Flute 1; Flute 2; Alto Flute; Flutes a3) - I set all microphones to 0.00dB in the Synchron player, this way I can control the mix with the Logic faders

I am still amazed I was able to grasp the knowledge being offered in this thread :)

I thought the "Room Mix" mic channel in Synchron summed the Deca Tree mics, that's why I thought I would mute the "Room Mix" channel, is my interpretation incorrect?
To my knowledge RoomMix usually consists of all room mics except the Decca Tree, but I might be wrong here. Definitly not included are close and mid mics.

To my knowledge RoomMix usually consists of all room mics except the Decca Tree, but I might be wrong here. Definitly not included are close and mid mics.

Thank you Ben

The Dec, I believe, consists of two separate mic channels in the Synchron Mix window, labeled "Main" and "Main C" -- am I correct in assuming that "Main" sums the Decca Tree's L/R and the "Main C" is only the Decca Tree's Center mic?

As this thread has been very helpful to me, I thought, rather than starting a new thread, I would pose another VSL question herein to those of you with exponentially more experience using VSL products than I have:

Well, I thought I had completed my template but, yet again, I am baffled

I have one track of Synchron WW - Flute 1 and another Synchron Brass - Trumpets a4

I set it so each is using only the Close Mic set at 0.0dB in the Synchron Mixer - no sends, no reverb

I also set every MIDI CC parameter exactly the same (Volume, Expression, Velocity, etc.)

Both set to Legato (Regular)

Both tracks are in Logic Pro with the volume fader at 0.0

Yet, the Flute 1 matches or exceeds the volume of the Trumpets a4

Can anyone reproduce this or experiencing the same issue?

Like I've previously stated I love the sound of the VSL Synchron instruments but for some reason, I am having a heck of a time working with them and welcome advice

Both tracks are in Logic Pro with the volume fader at 0.0
Why?
Yet, the Flute 1 matches or exceeds the volume of the Trumpets a4
Doesn't surprise me.
Can anyone reproduce this or experiencing the same issue?
Not an issue, this is not how you are supposed to use libraries.

If you don't use mixer presets you are on your own getting a mix that works.
We recorded in situ and matched the instruments to each other when using mixer presets. We did not record with fixed gain since it would introduce a lot of noise floor with soft instruments. The trumpet has a far higher dynamic range, even so a4 compared to a flute. Therefore the flute was recorded with higher gain.

Why?

Doesn't surprise me.

Not an issue, this is not how you are supposed to use libraries.

If you don't use mixer presets you are on your own getting a mix that works.
We recorded in situ and matched the instruments to each other when using mixer presets. We did not record with fixed gain since it would introduce a lot of noise floor with soft instruments. The trumpet has a far higher dynamic range, even so a4 compared to a flute. Therefore the flute was recorded with higher gain.
Hmmmmm - ok well, I for one was very surprised but less surprised now that you have explained it

However, regarding the presets, if I use a preset, the output volumes are so low that I need to crank up my interface to hear the instruments

But, I will persevere and eventually figure it out

Thank you again @Ben (and everyone else on VIC) that has been patient with a newbie such as I in trying to learn about these libraries

Top Bottom