What's new

Steinberg Elicensor to close 2025

Oh man, I dare not go on their website to see what upgrading to Cubase 12 costs...

On the plus side, I get to drive over my dongle in my car which I've wanted to do for fucking years.

Just to confirm then ... I can keep using the dongle with Cubase 10. But if if the dongle breaks (I know, I know, rare) I'm out of luck?

Jeez.
1. No paid .5 update
2. 3 machine limit - only reason why I keep Cubase installed
3. They have sales on upgrades. I don't see them giving the middle finger to people using older versions. DAWs aren't always about features as there are plenty of choices out there.

Yes, but you won't be able to transfer the licence to a new machine or hard drive because the server that mediates the process will have been tossed into a skip. There won't be a cloud service.

I'd argue the dongle offers greater longevity and flexibility to the typical user, short of running over the dongle with a truck.
If that is the case, i would agree. But what is going to happen with the software that comes with my UR22c, if i decide to format my pc ( i do this from time to time and this is not going to stop). They should probably update the software or include it with the new licensing. I would assume from what they say, as long as it is registered on your Mysteinberg account, there has to be a solution. This is completely stupid and unacceptable, seeing that this interface is still sold by them.

Please contact support for an individual solution. Please note that we can only offer a solution for eLicensers registered in MySteinberg.

1. No paid .5 update
2. 3 machine limit - only reason why I keep Cubase installed
3. They have sales on upgrades. I don't see them giving the middle finger to people using older versions. DAWs aren't always about features as there are plenty of choices out there.
When typically are the sales on upgrades?

The soft e-licenser wont stop working. I tried transferring what i had left to the new steinberg licensing and customer service told me that i would need it (old elicenser)for the software that comes with the UR22c as it wasnt compatible with newer licensing.

It clearly states none will stop working, but at least the cloud service would be more secure i suppose. Anyways they do specify coming with a solution if dongle dies.
yes I know it won't stop working but you are then tied to that computer forever.
rsp

Yes, but you won't be able to transfer the licence to a new machine or hard drive because the server that mediates the process will have been tossed into a skip. There won't be a cloud service.

I'd argue the dongle offers greater longevity and flexibility to the typical user, short of running over the dongle with a truck.
This!!!
Exactly.
rsp

As much as I love Steinberg (I have Cubase and Dorico), their licensing and download management ecosystem is reminiscent of the Stone Ages. But I suppose I should just be grateful they don't use iLok...

(I'm serious though, I do still love Steinberg!)

Are third-party developers (for example, Sample Fuel and Cinematique Instruments) going to port their products to Steinberg's new licensing system? Or some other system? Or will those license die when my USB dongle dies?

Are third-party developers (for example, Sample Fuel and Cinematique Instruments) going to port their products to Steinberg's new licensing system? Or some other system? Or will those license die when my USB dongle dies?
Contact CS... I had most of my products on the old e-licenser and CS transferred all compatible ones to the new licensing. There is still 1 product with old licensing remaining but was told they are working and should be available to transfer this year.

Perhaps this is a dumb question but how invasive is the new licensing system? Does it install new drivers on your PC? Does it have an always running license manager that starts every time you boot?

Or is it more like the simple licensing from Presonus or Image Line where you just activate inside the DAW and then it's invisible?

Perhaps this is a dumb question but how invasive is the new licensing system? Does it install new drivers on your PC? Does it have an always running license manager that starts every time you boot?

Or is it more like the simple licensing from Presonus or Image Line where you just activate inside the DAW and then it's invisible?
Not a dumb question. Never invasive as pace/ilok. It only runs when you open application. When i close Cubase it goes away and doesnt require internet as ilok which you can see in the image. Also just takes a particle of ram.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 174142.png

Top Bottom