What's new

StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available

I think the distortion might come from screen recording - for a better output I’d choose to render to audio and combine in iMovie or similar.

Thanks.
Anyway i guess mixing should happen elsewhere anyway. While nearly all demos here sounds good and especially i´m surprised how good dynamics can sound it is all is a bit one dimensional and i find some mixed sounds just do not fit well in the "room" or lack the spatalization. The more instruments are included, the more i find the sound gets muddy.
So i do wonder if all libraries using just the tree? I personally would love close mics for a better source to set my own space and use it with extern reverb and spatalization like Precedence f.e.

Anybody uses Staffpad to import classical pieces in musicXML format ?
If so, how practical has it been for you ? I can see the appeal in able to isolate/solo some parts of the score...

I'm using Staffpad on a 12,9" iPad Pro 2nd 2017, and tried some import and export with Logic. Unfortunately it isn't working flawlessly. I tried to upload the Logic project to Staffpad with both the midi 0 file and midi 1 setting (via preferences general).

For piano instruments I divide the left and right hand in two channels. But this information is lost and Staffpad tries to make its own interpretation for what is which channel. See screenshot. It's often not the right interpretation causing also some timings issues.

For one staff instruments, there is a problem with slurred notes, as in the other screenshot. In red is, what the measure looked like.

Also on the way back into Logic there is translation that doesn't work well.

I also tried the XML, but that let to not recognized 16 notes, which although played as 16, they were shown as 8.

Hopefully the interface in Staffpad gets updated, because when intended to work with other programs (DAW) the exchange should be working better than it does now.

I posted this comment also on the Staffpad webpage. Hopefully they can work on it.

Attachments

• StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available
    Schermfoto 2020-02-29 om 16.53.43.png
    100 KB · Views: 20
  • StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available
    Schermfoto 2020-02-29 om 16.50.35.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 17
Hello Eric.

I have looked for this, can you explain a bit...? :)
Just long press the staff and select “Add Instrument Change” on the appearing popup: now you can select any instrument from the “Instrument Change“ screen. From this bar on it will play with the newly selected instrument. You can do any time you want and you can select any instruments from the same or different library. For example you can switch between Cinebrass 4 horns to Berlin Brass Horn 1 etc.
Yes what he said is how you do it.

Please, a question for those who have berlin woodwinds: is there no ensemble of flutes? If I want the two or three flutes to sound in unison, do I have to put them on different staves?

Please, a question for those who have berlin woodwinds: is there no ensemble of flutes? If I want the two or three flutes to sound in unison, do I have to put them on different staves?
Yes. That's why I went with Spitfire WW instead. They have a2 combinations. Berlin will have to be treated much like you would handle them in a DAW - separate tracks (or staves) to combine multiple instruments. CineWinds is that way, too.

Yes. That's why I went with Spitfire WW instead. They have a2 combinations. Berlin will have to be treated much like you would handle them in a DAW - separate tracks (or staves) to combine multiple instruments. CineWinds is that way, too.
Ok, thank you

technically, every instrument gets its own stave in modern concert writing. So, Spitfire ensemble patches are actually more indicative of DAW thought process than traditional score writing. Achieving unisons is done through separate instruments (though their Brass collection in Staffpad DO have group versions.... probably for more powerful statements).

Some more work with XML import and this time futzing with tempo track and dynamics. Interesting to note StaffPad does allow for different dynamics between LH and RH on the piano....

Now I’m having a weird thing where Spitfire strings Vln 2 doesn’t work. At all. Imported files, files from scratch, iPad restarted, restore purchases... no joy. Subbing in Vln 1 works, but that’s not optimal.

To make matters worse, I’ve submitted a message to support on the StaffPad zendesk...

Crickets. Nada. Nothing.

I get it - I’m sure there are a LOT of support requests, but c’mon. Ugh. And I paid good money for these add-ons... I just wanna use them.

EDIT: Just a follow-up... I finally got a response this evening about another issue I submitted a message about late last week... so they ARE answering messages. I expect I’ll hear about this issue in due course once they slog thru the backlog of messages. I’ll update again in that case.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have issues with cracking in the audio stream when dragging notes up and down? I didn’t notice it being as bad before the BErlin Strings and Brass update...

Version 3.0.11.0 is up! Can confirm that navigation shortcuts are working as intended (@meaks yeay!) and it also fixed a bug introduced in 3.0.9 where audio would play on the left channel only, under specific circumstances.

Considering the small size of their team, I find pretty awesome how fast and consistently bugs are being squashed.

Version 3.0.11.0 is up! Can confirm that navigation shortcuts are working as intended (@meaks yeay!) and it also fixed a bug introduced in 3.0.9 where audio would play on the left channel only, under specific circumstances.

Considering the small size of their team, I find pretty awesome how fast and consistently bugs are being squashed.
How do you get updates? My version says 1.0.3 and the latest version on the app store also says 1.0.3

Top Bottom