What's new

Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

I’ve heard alot of great scores so far, im also gonna drop mine here incase anyone is interested.

Cool hearing some voices in there--during/after that aerial driving shot! And super awesome rhythmic activity kicking in at 1:52, and how it blossoms beyond that point!

I’ve enjoyed listening to so many of these entries! - great job everybody. Meant to post mine earlier but anyway, here it is. I really enjoyed the process. Feedback very much appreciated!

Ah Simone, I was wondering if you entered the competition.
I really like what you’re doing and this one is no exception.
Good luck !

Some really interesting interpretations from everyone here. Really enjoyable to hear everyones angle.
Here is my angle - using mostly modular synths and a tiny bit of samples.

Well for what it is worth, i never posted mine here but here it is, now its all over:

I took a massive risk and actually wrote a rock song for after the genre change , with lyrics, and sung on it and everything. I even persuaded my gf to harmonise on it. Personally i thought it worked really well with the song and lyrics expressing what was going on for Caleb and the human race in the series, but i guess Spitfire didn't :P.

Do watch to the end, as thats the best bit ( in my opinion :D). Just wish i had Adam Lambert to sing it for me..

Last edited:
Also I went back to the Bleeding Fingers competition and found the winning track.

Remember, they gave us all these stems:

I remember my entry wasn't very creative. I did some things like chopping the singer's audio to make a 5/4 rhythm but other than that it wasn't anything that would impress someone who had to listen to a thousand contest entries... it was just an orchestra track.

Meanwhile the winner made this:

my favorite entry was this one. Absolute mad fun:

I think the winner of this competition will be someone who does something that #1 is creative and unexpected, #2 has flawless production, #3 does something cool or impressive in the first 30 seconds. It may not even be the best "score." Maybe a little bit of showing off is in order. But I wouldn't bother at all with, like, a traditional orchestral score. You're gonna get lost in the 1000 entries and the first impression will be "lack of creativity, same as everyone else."

You were completely right.

Well for what it is worth, i never posted mine here but here it is, now its all over:

I took a massive risk and actually wrote a rock song for after the genre change , with lyrics, and sung on it and everything. I even persuaded my gf to harmonise on it. Personally i thought it worked really well with the song and lyrics expressing what was going on for Caleb and the human race in the series, but i guess Spitfire didn't :P.

Do watch to the end, as thats the best bit ( in my opinion :D). Just wish i had Adam Lambert to sing it for me..

dude, this is fantastic!

Hello! I've actually just joined because I saw this is where the "big guns" were hanging out. (I don't mean that as cynically as it sounds.)

I resist classifying myself as I have so many creative interests, but I used this competition as an excuse to practice scoring in general. My musical life had leveled-off, so I needed to push myself to do something new--original even. I tend to look after leaping, so I had no idea what to expect.

By the time I'd submitted my entry, I'd accomplished all my goals. I've spent many years being rejected from the creative industries, so I've pretty much let go of any illusions of success (whatever that means).

I can listen to my entry without cringing (for now). That's a first. I set out to write a hero melody, as that's what the genre shift looked like to me. And I hit all the rhythmic beats in the scene. The rest is out of my hands.

I want to be a good sport. I knew my chances were nil to begin with. However, I cannot lie; it's disappointing to see my entry sitting steadily at 50 views. That is a definite bummer. I'm only human.

But that's how it goes. You don’t get to stroll into a crowded stadium and expect to stand out. Anyway, that's my time. Thanks for reading.

If you wanna watch:

Last edited:
Top Bottom