What's new

Spitfire SO - "in situ" across the libraries?

kimarnesen

In the description of Spitfire's Symphonic Strings, it says they are recorded "in situ", meaning where string players normally sit in an orchestral setting. It doesn't say that for their Symphonic Brass and Woodwinds, but I think they are.

So my question is: Are these 3 libraries recorded such that you don't have to do the width and depth work? For example that when the brass was recorded, they were placed behind where the strings were placed at their recording, etcetera?

Last edited:
Recorded in situ, yes. But not with the rest of the players "in situ", which changes things quite a bit.

Slightly OT question: can anyone here over 50 read that print, or are my eyes really going? I can make out general stuff, like I can see "mic position" but the choices are Oarchers, Tree and Assient. :) Just me or is it really small?

Slightly OT question: can anyone here over 50 read that print, or are my eyes really going? I can make out general stuff, like I can see "mic position" but the choices are Oarchers, Tree and Assient. :) Just me or is it really small?

You can download it and zoom in. I couldn’t read it and I’m not even 40 ;)

Players are sonic parts of the room, they absorb and reflect sound. AIR (the hall) sounds different when there is an orchestra inside vs. when it's just a few players surrounded by air (the substance inside the hall).

Players are sonic parts of the room, they absorb and reflect sound. AIR (the hall) sounds different when there is an orchestra inside vs. when it's just a few players surrounded by air (the substance inside the hall).

Sure, although rooms responds different to that. Not all rooms get that much dry with people in it.

Last edited:
I have doubts that what's stated by them is 100% true.

the Trumpet a6 patch is almost softer than the solo trumpet patch, for example.

There are a few more that don't seem to have been recorded in the right distance as well.

But I'm not a hater against SPitfire, I actually love their products but you have take a grain of salt on mixing, you do have to mix them a bit because some of them aren't naturally balanced.

Hope this helps.

I have doubts that what's stated by them is 100% true.

the Trumpet a6 patch is almost softer than the solo trumpet patch, for example.

There are a few more that don't seem to have been recorded in the right distance as well.

But I'm not a hater against SPitfire, I actually love their products but you have take a grain of salt on mixing, you do have to mix them a bit because some of them aren't naturally balanced.

Hope this helps.

I've read somewhere else too that the SSO is quite inconsistent when it comes to balancing so using your ears and check everything and fix things are probably needed here too.

I mean in terms of left and right stereo spitfire has pretty much everything correct. But loudness levels are just messed up sometimes and confuses me

Thanks, I thought I was losing it. :)

I measured the distance between my eyes and the screen at normal working distance, and had an optician make me a pair of glasses for that distance. It's made a massive difference. I can even see Korg Legacy Collection instruments !!! :eek:

Of course the whole aging thing rather annoys me. I still seem to think I am 27 years old, back when I had a broad mind and a narrow waist, rather than the reverse. So when my close up vision starting to drop off I was most dis-chuffed with this whole 'getting older' lark. Frankly I'm not a fan of it.

At least my wife breeds Labradors - so I'm covered if my eyesight really goes South. In fact we have seven running around the house at the moment. If you've seen the movie Gremlins - well that was our house this Christmas.
:shocked:

This is Winston. He looks as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. The truth is very different.......

IMG_0444.jpg

Top Bottom