What's new

Spitfire - LABS Download our latest FREE Library Strings 2 Now!

It looks like its panned based on where in the register you are playing.

Yeah, I would guess it is panned after where the individual sections are actually placed in an orchestra, which is pretty normal for ensemble libraries as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately the Mac version of the app just keeps crashing trying to start the download... Or do anything, maybe El Capitan is too old? Can't see any specs?

Heya it’s not panned it’s just recorded ‘in situ sound as they would do when playing live. If you want to create an ‘Antiphon’ sound I would recommend duplicating your instrument, transposing this dupe up 3 semis then tuning down 3 semis and finally flipping L/R and recording both in unison.

Working fine in Windows 10 and Cubase Pro 8.5. Just had a very quick testrun and both sound very nice. At first listen the soft/felt piano should work quite well where other similar pianos might have a bit too much of a personality for more general use (if that makes any sense). And it's probably just me, but the download speed is so much faster compared to the old download app, something I already noticed when downloading the Symphonic Strings Evos.

Thanks, Spitfire, for the free Labs revival! Looking forward to downloading the new strings and checking out the player. (I already have the Soft Piano.)

Best,

Geoff

Thanks for the replies, I know what you mean with recorded in situ etc, and it's not what I tried to explain. What I meant is that the sound is mainly coming from the left side, even in the high register. It's not a big deal, but I wonder if others have the same experience (just with the strings, not with the piano)

I've just checked the strings patch and everything seems to be coming from the right sides to me. There's a bias of loudness from the right that's simply the higher tones appearing louder due to the frequencies involved (from my rudimentary understanding of these things!)

I have to say the Windows version of the Spitfire Audio App is not impressing me.

It opens in a window that's bigger than my laptop screen resolution, with no way that I can see to resize it, but most of it is just wasted space.
Resizable windows have been a basic feature of Windows apps for many, many years, and can't be hard to implement - why doesn't it allow it?

Spitfire should have got a decent user interface designer in...

(And while I know most professional musicians on here will have bigger screens, my laptop's 1366 x 768 is pretty common and while it would be nice to have a bigger resolution, I don't, and I imagine many potential LABS users won't either.)

I have to say the Windows version of the Spitfire Audio App is not impressing me.
...and when I choose a path to install the library, the path I've chosen doesn't fit so it looks like this. Even though there are acres of wasted screen space nearby.
I'm even less impressed now!
Spitfire - LABS Download our latest FREE Library Strings 2 Now!

I wonder how many people here are familiar with the old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

Granted, a little constructive criticism can sometimes be helpful; but it's probably wise to set the bar a little lower for a free product. As long as its strengths outweigh its weaknesses, then you're ahead in the bargain.

Best,

Geoff

It opens in a window that's bigger than my laptop screen resolution, with no way that I can see to resize it, but most of it is just wasted space.
Resizable windows have been a basic feature of Windows apps for many, many years, and can't be hard to implement - why doesn't it allow it?

(And while I know most professional musicians on here will have bigger screens, my laptop's 1366 x 768 is pretty common and while it would be nice to have a bigger resolution, I don't, and I imagine many potential LABS users won't either.)
I have a Macbook Pro and no problem with size, actually enjoying the app a lot!

Granted, a little constructive criticism can sometimes be helpful; but it's probably wise to set the bar a little lower for a free product.
If the Spitfire Audio App was just for the LABs then I'd sort of agree with you.
But it's the downloader for all the paid products too - some of which are not cheap - so it should be better than this by now, given it's been out there for a few weeks and had time to have bugs fixed.

How do you have a laptop that doesn't run at HD resolutions?

Thank you @Spitfire Team. Leading the way, as usual. This is a wonderful concept, and particularly the contribution to charity. You guys are awesome.

So, I wonder if we will see these strings in the blind shootout? Anyone planning on submitting these as an entry? Now, that would be interesting, if the free version out-performs some leading contenders out there in a blind test! It wouldn't be the first time: in Christian's test of reverbs, Logic's 'free' (ok, not quite free, you have to buy Logic first, but you know what I mean!) Chromaverb beat Fab Filter R (which will set you back 169 Euros).

Top Bottom