What's new

Spitfire Audio : Abbey Road 1 Modular Orchestra - Speculation Thread.

The Tuesday 17th is even more interesting. By "Strings" I don't know whether they mean a pre-orchestrated version (like in the Orchestral Foundations), or they're just using a generic term for whatever instrument of the string family they were recording that day.
Interesting. Perhaps they are re-recording the high-strings which were never released (but, I believe, had been recorded).

Hello! v1.1.0 of the 1st Violins is sending out to owners over the next hour. There have been some quite significant improvements to the consistency of the legatos & shorts here. Though as per usual, here's the changelog:

Changelog for Version v1.1.0 - [11.12.23]
=============================================

Update Summary:
---------------
- This update brings significant improvements to the "timing" of short and legato techniques.

Changes and Fixes:
------------------
- Complete overhaul of timing on Spiccato, Spiccatissimo, Marcato, Staccato, Col Legno & Pizzicato techniques.
- All legato techniques have been completely re-timed, resulting in more consistent playability.
- The release slider now also affects the length of the shorts on Performance Legato patches.
- Other general sample content improvements.

Small reminder that after updating, legacy sessions will remain on the previous version (this ensures that any changes don't mess with your current project!). However, if you want to update these sessions, you'll need to right-click the "refresh" button in the plugin, and then "update instruments to latest version". Alternatively, any "fresh" instance of the plugin will automatically use the latest downloaded version too.

Last edited:
Hi @Karma I noticed that in the Long extended and Performance Legato extended articulations, the velocity has minor impact on the attack of the note when vibrato is off. When vibrato is on instead the effect is clearly audible.

Have to wonder if recording is the hold up or processing. If they are stuck waiting for recording time/player availability, that may be out of their control. I am assuming AR studios is a pretty busy place and I am sure they give priority to recording for film over anything else, as they wouldn't want to offend the people that regularly pay the bills.

I've already made peace with the fact that I'll be picking this up in 2038 with the release of the third special edition at a cheaper price point! In the meantime, I have BBCSO and SSO 2024 which will do me just fine.
Same here, I may pick it up in 10/15 years once it's a whole orchestra and at BBCSO/SSO prices. However, currently I am pretty happy with BBCSO Pro and SSO 2024 alongside SCS Pro. I'm not even sure I'll prefer the ARO over what I already have and SCS Pro is already hard to beat and one of my favourite strings libraries.

Have to wonder if recording is the hold up or processing. If they are stuck waiting for recording time/player availability, that may be out of their control. I am assuming AR studios is a pretty busy place and I am sure they give priority to recording for film over anything else, as they wouldn't want to offend the people that regularly pay the bills.
They showed in the video series "Recording The Abbey Road Orchestra" by Sound on Sound Magazine that they have actually recorded the violas and oboes/clarinets (it is not clear in the video). They also showed the scores for the rest of the strings and flutes, so I asume they are all recorded. Why it is taking so long to release it? Idk.

They showed in the video series "Recording The Abbey Road Orchestra" by Sound on Sound Magazine that they have actually recorded the violas and oboes/clarinets (it is not clear in the video). They also showed the scores for the rest of the strings and flutes, so I asume they are all recorded. Why it is taking so long to release it? Idk.
Judging by the violin and celli libraries, it seems like they are taking their time at the editing phase to really get things right and consistent. I know that sounds really weird to say about Spitfire, but it appears to be the direction they are choosing for the Abbey Road line outside of the Selections.

Judging by the violin and celli libraries, it seems like they are taking their time at the editing phase to really get things right and consistent. I know that sounds really weird to say about Spitfire, but it appears to be the direction they are choosing for the Abbey Road line outside of the Selections.
Would make sense considering the higher standards nowadays with other companies making sure 'big' noises aren't as present as in SF's best years (which were surely in the 2010's)

Also, SSO 2024 seemed like it took the spot of the next AR module from a marketing / timing perspective, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they delayed the next one to the next scheduled slot 3 months later to avoid cannibalization so close together with SSO (and potentially packaged the rest, as mentioned above).

Top Bottom