What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Stupidest meme I know but I've been sitting on this one for too long and I just need to set it free.
5rruf6.jpg

LOL OK seriously now, for sure such a product couldn't be free or very cheap, I was half-kidding. It's just that (for me) they hit a dead-end with that. We have seen libraries getting huge content updates after 2, 5 or even 10 years.

BBC SO big selling point was how cohesive the product was, since they recorded the musicians in the same room in situ, but not seperately (i.e. like EWHO or SSO). They were all together on the stage in their positions for the whole orchestra recordings.

The unavailability of Maida Vale makes any really consistent content updates nearly impossible. But if BBC SO (I mean the real orchestra) is going to stay in their new home for - say - 100 years (!!!), I think Spitfire could start thinking of re-recording the whole project, find a fancy name for it, and offer it at a half-price for the existing owners of the current BBC SO. Imho this is the only way that Spitfire BBC SO can live long and prosper.
Anyone know what the current situation is re BBC staying at Maida Vale? A google search reveals a squabble between the Beeb and the Gov over the building’s listed status but nothing since.

LOL OK seriously now, for sure such a product couldn't be free or very cheap, I was half-kidding. It's just that (for me) they hit a dead-end with that. We have seen libraries getting huge content updates after 2, 5 or even 10 years.

BBC SO big selling point was how cohesive the product was, since they recorded the musicians in the same room in situ, but not seperately (i.e. like EWHO or SSO). They were all together on the stage in their positions for the whole orchestra recordings.

The unavailability of Maida Vale makes any really consistent content updates nearly impossible. But if BBC SO (I mean the real orchestra) is going to stay in their new home for - say - 100 years (!!!), I think Spitfire could start thinking of re-recording the whole project, find a fancy name for it, and offer it at a half-price for the existing owners of the current BBC SO. Imho this is the only way that Spitfire BBC SO can live long and prosper.
I think they recorded a lot more than ended up in BBCSO, but they weren't necessarily happy with it all. At least that is what it sounded like from something Paul said. If they can figure out a way to use the excess recordings in a way that sounds good, it might show up.

So…
Has anyone taken BBCSO for a drive in (the new) Spatial Audio enabled Logic 10.7 and had a play with the Dolby Atmos signals?

So…
Has anyone taken BBCSO for a drive in (the new) Spatial Audio enabled Logic 10.7 and had a play with the Dolby Atmos signals?
That wouldn't be very special, close mic enabled, then the spatial audio settings on top.. and you have in essence a different room, no? (not that i have logic, but the name spatial audio implies a convolution reverb thingy)
If it's indeed a convolution, it bypasses the bbc so sound, since it's meant to be used with little reverb (from the source) as possible: only close mics (so the typical bbc room sound will not be there anymore)

The BBCSO update wiped out all of the template entries they now all point to Violins 1. Good thing I ran the update on my test machine.

Update: I found all my existing BBCSO projects are also gone same thing every instance of BBCSO is now set to Violins 1. To make things worst the CPU load has almost doubled with this release I'm waiting for the system to restore from my backup.

Last edited:
New update available for BBCSO
I was struggling for months now to set the default instrument to "none", every time in vain. In the end it was a bug... Thank you for the update info, I am going to download it this evening as soon as I get home.

Not seeing any issues on my end with templates or existing projects:

Ableton 11.0.12
macOS 10.14.6
Using vst2 and one articulation per track

Don't think I'm seeing any unusual CPU activity either

I'm running Studio One on a Mac could be the problem
Try to contact support if you can, maybe they can hotfix it, or let the other Studio One users that it could be an issue, did you check inside the player if it was indeed 1.4.0 or if maybe the installation failed somehow — hence the issues?

Some thing here. Did the update and everything is broken.

EDIT: AU version is fine, VST3 breaks. I replaced the VST3 version with 1.2.1 from a backup and I'm back in business. Machine is a MP6,1 12 Core, OS12.

Last edited:
Oh.. No. Bummer, Studio One issues with this latest BBCSO Pro update ?

I'm not going to update, until it is fixed, I'm on Windows 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom