released October 11, 2022
01 - Spitfire Audio - Appassionata Strings - Cellos (6) - Legato
02 - Spitfire Audio - Appassionata Strings - Violins 1 (8) - Legato
03 - Spitfire Audio - Appassionata Strings - Violins 2 (6) - Legato
04 - Spitfire Audio - Hans Zimmer Strings - 60 Cellos - Long

Last edited:
How’s the low end on these?
Hey @Mike Fox

I was blending the higher Appassionata strings with the newer Fractured Strings (FS) and they blended / transitioned very nicely.

However the cellos did not translate as well. (FS has no legato.)

Appassionata is more subdued, maybe silky, maybe “smoother” or darker, or even — as one commenter on my video stated — muddy sounding (but that’s going a bit far, I think).

Of course, Fractured Strings is aesthetically sharp and defined in many places. And my comments say more about the high end of the low end, as it were.

But — if I were looking for “great low end strings”, I would not be thinking of Appassionata first. That’s not to say they’re not good, but it might not be their strongest quality.

Other opinions might vary, and a little EQ could go a long way.

How’s the low end on these?
Perhaps not "monstrous" or "beefy", but controlled and impactful in the right context. Easy to enhance with plugins if needed.

In my own demo, listen to how it comes in at 0:27 (give yourself 5 seconds lead-in for the impact). That's a soft dynamic, but the low end (sub) is well and truly there. Again at 0:54, slightly louder.
From 1:12, you've got the low strings only playing ascending scales. That should give you an idea of low end.

Perhaps not "monstrous" or "beefy", but controlled and impactful in the right context. Easy to enhance with plugins if needed.

In my own demo, listen to how it comes in at 0:27 (give yourself 5 seconds lead-in for the impact). That's a soft dynamic, but the low end (sub) is well and truly there. Again at 0:54, slightly louder.
From 1:12, you've got the low strings only playing ascending scales. That should give you an idea of low end.
Excellent demo, my friend! I think you may have just sold me with that.

Excellent demo, my friend! I think you may have just sold me with that.
Go for it! It is one of the best options for legato strings available. And you'd most likely have to wait until at least the spring sale to get it for a lower price (40% off @ $149 instead of the current 30% off @ $179). It's too new for inclusion in a 40% off sale, which only happens after a library has been out for a full year.

Go for it! It is one of the best options for legato strings available. And you'd most likely have to wait until at least the spring sale to get it for a lower price (40% off @ $149 instead of the current 30% off @ $179). It's too new for inclusion in a 40% off sale, which only happens after a library has been out for a full year.
Sometimes -40% happened for sales shortly before the 1 year anniversary of a library's release (e.g. Albion Neo was released in January 2020 and IIRC it got -40% during the Christmas sale of the same year). So there is hope that you can get Appassionata for 40% off next month. And obviously, those with EDU discounts could already get it for 50% off in September/October.

Sometimes -40% happened for sales shortly before the 1 year anniversary of a library's release (e.g. Albion Neo was released in January 2020 and IIRC it got -40% during the Christmas sale of the same year). So there is hope that you can get Appassionata for 40% off next month. And obviously, those with EDU discounts could already get it for 50% off in September/October.
Yes, but it is rare, and only if it is just under a year since release. I checked the release date of Appassionata, I thought it was in March, but it actually was in the end of January. So there is a small chance it will be included @ 40% off during the Christmas sale. That is assuming that it is a 40% off sale, because the current sale is only 25% instead of the 40% it was last year.

My only hesitation is that i have SO many string libs! Berlin, CSS, CS2, Century, SSS, SCS, Afflatus, Soaring Strings, Adventure Strings, Trailer Strings, Areia, Hollywood Strings, LASS, etc. etc.,

Would Apassionata bring something new to the table? Not sure, but I do know that I love the sound of these strings, and the playability seems excellent.

Also, we all know that you can never have too many string libs!

Spent some time with Appassionata this morning, and must say I’m pleasantly surprised!

I was hesitant at first, mainly because the library requires the SA player (which doesn’t run so great on my machine), and also for the sheer fact that I have a ridiculous amount of string libs as it is. Also, Spitfire’s playability and QC has always been hit and miss, so I was also weary of that.

But not even a minute into playing Appassionata, I knew that Spitfire had created one of my favorite string libs for soaring lines and romantic passages. Everything from the tone to the playability is just damn near perfect. In terms of programing, this feels like light years ahead of their SCS and SSS libraries, so I have to give credit to SA for stepping things up.

My only complaint is that I wish the strings had just a touch more vibrato. Some sort of vibrato control would have me giving this library a 10/10, but I realize that there is no perfect string library, and the positive attributes of Appassionata easily outweigh this negative.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the library to me, as well as Jdog’s gorgeous demo. You guys couldn’t have been more helpful!

My only complaint is that I wish the strings had just a touch more vibrato. Some sort of vibrato control would have me giving this library a 10/10, but I realize that there is no perfect string library, and the positive attributes of Appassionata easily outweigh this negative.
Ditto! I was also pleasantly surprised. I'm now hoping for a Con Sordino edition.

Always appreciate reading comments like this. Really glad you're enjoying the library. :)

It's very much noted on the areas we can take this even further, and there has been a lot of work towards that behind the scenes :thumbsup:
Thanks
Now we need also shorts articulations for Strings as update, and new releases...
Woodwinds and Brass sections with same articulations across all sections and same legato approach!
Even more success :)

Always appreciate reading comments like this. Really glad you're enjoying the library. :)

It's very much noted on the areas we can take this even further, and there has been a lot of work towards that behind the scenes :thumbsup:
I'm happy to see that Spitfire is taking our comments to heart! This is exactly the kind engagement that benefits everyone. And while I have been critical of certain Spitfire libraries in the past regarding programming, and playability, there seems to have been a shift recently, because I first noticed this with Legendary Low Strings, and how playable the library was. It's completely effortless to play, which inspires me to play and compose!

Unfortunately, the SA player caused so many issues on my system that i had to stop using the library altogether. It was disheartening, because I absolutely love the sound of that library. That being said, I was willing to give it another go, because the sound of Appassionata was just too amazing to pass up, and thankfully I haven't experienced any issues yet.

But I'll just say this...

Spitfire has done something truly amazing with Appassionata. This is one of those libraries that not only sounds incredible, but feels incredible to play. The eq is perfect. The mice placement is perfect. The stereo imaging is perfect. The noise floor is perfect, etc., etc.

I know I sound like a fanboy right now (believe me, i'm not), but there is magic is in these strings!

As long as Spitfire continues to make libraries like this, I'll continue to buy them, and i would love nothing more than to see expansions of this amazing library.

Thank you for taking the time to stop and read our comments here. It means a lot!

Thanks
Now we need also shorts articulations for Strings as update, and new releases...
Woodwinds and Brass sections with same articulations across all sections and same legato approach!
Even more succes

I'm happy to see that Spitfire is taking our comments to heart! This is exactly the kind engagement that benefits everyone. And while I have been critical of certain Spitfire libraries in the past regarding programming, and playability, there seems to have been a shift recently, because I first noticed this with Legendary Low Strings, and how playable the library was. It's completely effortless to play, which inspires me to play and compose!

Unfortunately, the SA player caused so many issues on my system that i had to stop using the library altogether. It was disheartening, because I absolutely love the sound of that library. That being said, I was willing to give it another go, because the sound of Appassionata was just too amazing to pass up, and thankfully I haven't experienced any issues yet.

But I'll just say this...

Spitfire has done something truly amazing with Appassionata. This is one of those libraries that not only sounds incredible, but feels incredible to play. The eq is perfect. The mice placement is perfect. The stereo imaging is perfect. The noise floor is perfect, etc., etc.

I know I sound like a fanboy right now (believe me, i'm not), but there is magic is in these strings!

As long as Spitfire continues to make libraries like this, I'll continue to buy them, and i would love nothing more than to see expansions of this amazing library.

Thank you for taking the time to stop and read our comments here. It means a lot!
Mike,

I really enjoyed reading your personal experience on Appassionata.

It is very important to be inspired by the sound and feel inspired when you play the instrument.

I have no experience with Spitfire products. I actually do not own any libraries as of today.
Question - have you been able to pair it with CSS and do they blend ok together?

Would be very interested in your thoughts on that....

Mike,

I really enjoyed reading your personal experience on Appassionata.

It is very important to be inspired by the sound and feel inspired when you play the instrument.

I have no experience with Spitfire products. I actually do not own any libraries as of today.
Question - have you been able to pair it with CSS and do they blend ok together?

Would be very interested in your thoughts on that....
I haven’t actually tried to pair CSS With Appassionata yet, so I apologize for not being able to provide any info on that.

But to be totally honest, Appassionata is what I originally wanted CSS to be, so it’s funny you bring it up!

Unfortunately, I was never a big fan of CSS. Yes, the legato is top notch, and that’s what it’s renowned for, but there are so many more important aspects to a string library than just the legato, like tone and playability, and I could never gel with either of those with CSS.

Sorry, kind of a buzzkill answer. :laugh:

But you know what I’m actually thinking? I wonder how well CSSS would layer with Appassionata. Perhaps the size and vibrato of that library would compliment it nicely.

Maybe someone can speak on this?

I haven’t actually tried to pair CSS With Appassionata yet, so I apologize for not being able to provide any info on that.

But to be totally honest, Appassionata is what I originally wanted CSS to be, so it’s funny you bring it up!

Unfortunately, I was never a big fan of CSS. Yes, the legato is top notch, and that’s what it’s renowned for, but there are so many more important aspects to a string library than just the legato, like tone and playability, and I could never gel with either of those with CSS.

Sorry, kind of a buzzkill answer. :laugh:

But you know what I’m actually thinking? I wonder how well CSSS would layer with Appassionata. Perhaps the size and vibrato of that library would compliment it nicely.

Maybe someone can speak on this?
Definately - would be interesting to hear both how Appasionata sits with CSS and CSSS.

Not sure if there is anyone on this thread that can provide a mockup of those together.... Would be very helpful!

The CSS/CSSS vibrato is very different. I don't know how it would blend, but the minute you layer such different phrasings, you loose all the detail of Appassionata's natural voice. I would think.

It might be a pleasant enough effect, but it would be an aggregate blur.

Top Bottom