What's new

Spitfire Abbey Road Orchestra ARO Cellos

You've got to remember that the plugin itself plays host to multiple libraries/products. "Abbey Road Orchestra" is the plugin, which is currently on version 1.1.0, but you can open any of the Abbey Road Percussion libraries in it, the 1st Violins, or the Cellos. Each one of those libraries will have its own update version number separate to the plugin.
The same concept applies to all of the libraries within the Abbey Road One range, LABS, etc.
Would be nifty to know which library version we're using, though.

You can actually see the content versions in the Patches/Preset folders. As you can see I have quite a few iterations of the Cellos, but the latest one is the version you'll be on:

1700658518700.png

You can actually see the content versions in the Patches/Preset folders. As you can see I have quite a few iterations of the Cellos, but the latest one is the version you'll be on:

1700658518700.png
Just to clarify though, that's more about the latest version we've downloaded, but not necessarily the version we are using in a project, right? (like if we updated a library mid-project)

Just to clarify though, that's more about the latest version we've downloaded, but not necessarily the version we are using in a project, right? (like if we updated a library mid-project)
That's true, though I believe you can find that information in the latest dated log files at these locations:

Mac OS: ~/Library/Logs/com.spitfireaudio
Windows: C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/com.spitfireaudio

It really is and I wished it could be a bit more transparent, but from what I understood from context, there are separate teams developing the plugin and the instruments.
Not really though. Regardless of if it’s a different team doing them, it actually makes sense. There isn’t just one library in the ARO player. Sometimes the player will get updates when the libraries don’t, and vice versa. It would be impossible to have everything on the exact same patch number, especially with more modules being added.

Omnisphere does the same thing. They provide player updates separately from content updates and each maintains its own unique version number.

Brent

Not really though. Regardless of if it’s a different team doing them, it actually makes sense. There isn’t just one library in the ARO player. Sometimes the player will get updates when the libraries don’t, and vice versa. It would be impossible to have everything on the exact same patch number, especially with more modules being added.

Omnisphere does the same thing. They provide player updates separately from content updates and each maintains its own unique version number.

Brent
Oh, of course! I just meant that it’d be nice to have both the plugin version and instrument version seen somewhere in the UI😊

Hello @Karma it seems the "Long (Extended)" articulation doesn't consider key velocity: whatever velocity I try, the note attacks is always the same. Shouldn't it change from soft, to normal and to marcato?

Hello @Karma it seems the "Long (Extended)" articulation doesn't consider key velocity: whatever velocity I try, the note attacks is always the same. Shouldn't it change from soft, to normal and to marcato?
It definitely does, low velocity causes it to have a slow volume ramp from quiet up to full volume, medium velocties make it come in smoothly but quickly, and high velocities add an attack front (marcato).

Maybe check you've not got some kind of velocity clamping going on in your DAW.
That or you might have dynamics set to "Velocity mapped to dynamics" in the Spitfire Plugin (under the 3 dot menu top right) which would take the note intro behaviour off the velocity and put it onto the dynamics value.

It definitely does, low velocity causes it to have a slow volume ramp from quiet up to full volume, medium velocties make it come in smoothly but quickly, and high velocities add an attack front (marcato).

Maybe check you've not got some kind of velocity clamping going on in your DAW.
That or you might have dynamics set to "Velocity mapped to dynamics" in the Spitfire Plugin (under the 3 dot menu top right) which would take the note intro behaviour off the velocity and put it onto the dynamics value.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked but I don't have velocity clamping in DAW and dynamics is set to "full velocity range".
I noticed that with vibrato set to zero, the long extended articulation doesn't consider the velocity (or at least the audio result is so minimal that is quite hard to detect), but it correctly does with vibrato set to maximum. Is it supposed to behave like this @Karma ?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked but I don't have velocity clamping in DAW and dynamics is set to "full velocity range".
I noticed that with vibrato set to zero, the long extended articulation doesn't consider the velocity (or at least the audio result is so minimal that is quite hard to detect), but it correctly does with vibrato set to maximum. Is it supposed to behave like this @Karma ?
Just testing myself now, I think there is still the ramp up effect at low velocity and a slightly faster intro at higher, but it's a much more subtle difference. So I dare say that part is just how it is.

But the marcato front seems to be tied to the vibrato part only, so the marcato front gets quieter the lower the vibrato setting is. So if you've got vibrato at 0% you can't get the marcato at all.
Hard to tell if that bit is intended or not, but you're not crazy - there is a difference there.

So I moved to a new machine and after relocating the libraries, ARO Violin 1 and Cellos no longer load in Pro mode. Core works fine. I tried repairing the violins and that did nothing. I've also submitted a report to support, but I'm hoping someone has some other things I can try in the meantime.

I’m having issues with violons 1 and cellos as well. System crashing when never before. I did not move systems however so I don’t know what could have caused it
So I moved to a new machine and after relocating the libraries, ARO Violin 1 and Cellos no longer load in Pro mode. Core works fine. I tried repairing the violins and that did nothing. I've also submitted a report to support, but I'm hoping someone has some other things I can try in the meantime.

I’m having issues with violons 1 and cellos as well. System crashing when never before. I did not move systems however so I don’t know what could have caused it
I ended up having to redownload the pro portion of the violins. That also fixed the cellos for some reason.

I ended up having to redownload the pro portion of the violins. That also fixed the cellos for some reason.
Wow! Thanks fit this information. Great to know that there was a cure for you and for this. Hard to imagine that such expensive libraries could have issues such as these

Wow! Thanks fit this information. Great to know that there was a cure for you and for this. Hard to imagine that such expensive libraries could have issues such as these
Not really hard to imagine that libraries like this will have issues. Indeed the more complicated the library (and so also generally the more expensive a library will be) the more likely the library will have such issues. I don't mind the issues ultimately if they get fixed quickly, and so far I've been lucky with SF in that respect. Most issues I have encountered have been quickly remedied. (I do still have one outstanding ticket on a bug I found in the Whitacre Contrast library.)

Not to say it isn't frustrating. Also, it's more than a bit disconcerting when you have to wait for support to reset your library, especially since these things tend to happen to me on the weekends...

Not really hard to imagine that libraries like this will have issues. Indeed the more complicated the library (and so also generally the more expensive a library will be) the more likely the library will have such issues. I don't mind the issues ultimately if they get fixed quickly, and so far I've been lucky with SF in that respect. Most issues I have encountered have been quickly remedied. (I do still have one outstanding ticket on a bug I found in the Whitacre Contrast library.)

Not to say it isn't frustrating. Also, it's more than a bit disconcerting when you have to wait for support to reset your library, especially since these things tend to happen to me on the weekends...
Is that what I would need to do if this is in fact a problem similar to yours? Have Spitfire reset something on their end?

Is that what I would need to do if this is in fact a problem similar to yours? Have Spitfire reset something on their end?
In my case, no because I still had a reset left and could do it myself. But you can run out of resets and then you have to request one.

In your case I would open a case with support. I’ve found them very good, and they should be able to sort out what’s causing the crashes, which given how it came on is likely not just the SF plugin but some confluence of factors.

In my case, no because I still had a reset left and could do it myself. But you can run out of resets and then you have to request one.

In your case I would open a case with support. I’ve found them very good, and they should be able to sort out what’s causing the crashes, which given how it came on is likely not just the SF plugin but some confluence of factors.
Appreciate your help and experience in this area. Let’s hope for easy fixes

Top Bottom