What's new

Spitfire Abbey Road Orchestra ARO Cellos

As a small dev update, I've fixed the "dead-zone" issues that were happening on the Core performance legato, as well as when playing >110 velocity on the extended techniques at pp.

In addition to the above, the shorts will be much more refined.

I will aim to push an update early next week with these changes :thumbsup:, as well as another update to the 1st Violins to follow shortly after.
Cool - ty!

There is a bum note in the cello G2 - can you please fix that? It's REALLY noticeable with a legato trans. Should be a real easy fix, with Equilibrium, or similar.

Is it possible - or would it be? Similar to SINE... to deselect / select the dynamic zones that I want to use. I am sure that I can compress the range of my wheel and keyboard etc ... but would love to still enjoy the full range of those devices tactually - and say limit dynamics to pp-mp. Or sometimes just stay at F to FF.
Unfortunately not, but the way that the dynamics are presented would still allow you to do this! We are very careful with our "overlap" when it comes to crossfades, so there will always be fixed points on the modwheel where it's the "pure" dynamic that you're hearing, and no others at the same time.

100% - ff
75% - f
50% - mf
33% - p
15% - pp

Those CC1 values will be the points where you're only hearing those dynamics, with no crossfading happening. I'm sure you could create a script that "limits" the modwheel to a specific range with that info? The idea of keeping this consistent (as it is with the 1st Violins also), means that you should get a real "feel" for the dynamics you're working at when using the modwheel, and it should all translate far easier when the full sections are out.

Cool - ty!

There is a bum note in the cello G2 - can you please fix that? It's REALLY noticeable with a legato trans. Should be a real easy fix, with Equilibrium, or similar.
Aha, I wouldn't dare EQ if I can help it. We try to present everything as true to the recording as it should be - so I'll investigate what can be done to help that!

Can some one share a screen picture of the folder name of Abbey road cello, please?
I renamed the folder and now nothing works....:-/

For those who have both, how do find these cellos compared to those in CSS?

I'm only beginning to assemble various libraries for my composing needs, and started with AROOF as a foundation. I could have got BBCSO core instead, which would have had all the instruments rather than ensembles, but I much prefer the sound of AROOF. Everything sounds great straightaway and mixing becomes so easy.

I will now mostly get CSS in order to have a fully fledged string library (after much reading and listening it seems to be the best choice).

However I'm very tempted to get the ARO cellos, simply because the sound of the room is so good (the legendary low strings are some of the best sounding samples I've ever heard and I use it everywhere). Hence my question about how they compare to the cellos in CSS.
I have both and love to tinker, so have this example of Leia's theme from Star Wars.
In this I've layered the Violins 1 octave higher than the Cellos:

CSS (legato patch):

View attachment SW Leia theme CSS C + V1.mp3

ARO (lyrical extended legato patch):

View attachment SW Leia theme ARO C + V1-01.mp3

In fairness of bias, this is identical midi that was recorded in whilst playing ARO, not CSS, then applied to both.
So ARO has a little bit of positive programming bias here.

Edit: replaced the ARO file as I realized I had v1 and cellos at different release and legato settings
- It's fairly important for your sound to keep them synchronised it seems.

Last edited:
@Semproser

Is that the performance legato? How about the lyrical one, what does that sound like?
Both on Lyrical (Extended). Will update the post that that info too.
For this particular passage there's no instances where you want a strong attack, so if I put it on the performance patches I would just have to manually adjust the front note velocities so that it went back to sounding just like that example.

I have both and love to tinker, so have this example of Leia's theme from Star Wars.

CSS (legato patch):

In fairness of bias, this is identical midi that was recorded in whilst playing ARO, not CSS, then applied to both.

Edit: replaced the ARO file as I realized I had v1 and cellos at different release and legato settings
Why does the sound duck out on the marcato (I assume) notes? (i.e. 0:06)

Why does the sound duck out on the marcato (I assume) notes? (i.e. 0:06)
If I get what you mean, then that's just a lift off gap. So in CSS the release tails are naturally quite long so when I lifted off there, it just more smoothly faded into the next note. Because I needed the cleaner legato in ARO I had the release set to a low 30% or so. If I raise them to 80%, don't duck the dynamics, and leave a shorter distance between the notes it can be much more smooth there, but with less clean legato sounds:

View attachment SW Leia theme ARO C + V1 Higher Releases 2.mp3

1700078084390.png

If I get what you mean, then that's just a lift off gap. So in CSS the release tails are naturally quite long so when I lifted off there, it just more smoothly faded into the next note. Because I needed the cleaner legato in ARO I had the release set to a low 30% or so. If I raise them to 80%, don't duck the dynamics, and leave a shorter distance between the notes it can be much more smooth there, but with less clean legato sounds:

View attachment SW Leia theme ARO C + V1 Higher Releases 2.mp3

1700078084390.png
Why not just use the sustain pedal when repeating the note? Should come out sounding better for both libraries.

Why not just use the sustain pedal when repeating the note? Should come out sounding better for both libraries.
That works in CSS, but the spitfire engine doesnt work properly. If you use the sustain pedal and replay any note, on any legato patch, in any spitfire engine VST, what happens is it just begins another note without ending the previous one. Volume is hence cumulative, so that second note you want to rebow will be like 20-30% louder because there's actually just 2 sustains under there playing at once...

You can test this out yourself, just hold the sustain pedal and play 5 notes in a row until you're eventually deafened by the volume of 5x the sustains stacked on top of each other. Happens in BBCSO and SAS too.

I've spoken to Karma about it before, It's a known problem thats been in since the launch of the spitfire plugin.
It's on the engine team to fix (not Karma, who is implementation).

That works in CSS, but the spitfire engine doesnt work properly. If you use the sustain pedal and replay any note, on any legato patch, in any spitfire engine VST, what happens is it just begins another note without ending the previous one.
There's no rebow in the 245 legato articulations?

I've spoken to Karma about it before, It's a known problem thats been in since the launch of the spitfire plugin.
Sooo... for 5 years? o_O

CSS (legato patch):

Thanks a lot for taking the time to create and post this, much appreciated!

It's interesting, this example is quite favorable to CSS. And I say that as a big fan of the sound of AROOF.

This thread is a valuable resource for SA. I don't know how SA is organised, but I hope customer support and defect correction both come under the same QA manager. Despite me being pleased so far with my purchase of ARO Cellos I hope the issues reported - including my own - will be given priority over new product launches. I'm aware that longstanding defects with other SA products have yet to be addressed. Come on guys! Surely getting the quality of existing products as perfect as possible must, in the long run, earn far more revenue than constantly launching new products with deficiencies. ARO Cellos could yet prove to be something of a test case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom