What's new

Spatial Placement - Basic Questions (Spat, VSS, Mir Pro, Vienna Power Pan, etc)

But, if the orchestra was recorded in situ on the Synchron Stage, would I be wrong in thinking that that natural panning would show up on the L/R channel levels say, for the Deca Tree (Main) -- for example, Violins 1 should be louder on the left side of the meter than the right - but, alas, such is not the case
Violins *are* to the left on the Decca tree L/R signal. Are you listening to or looking at the mono (Decca centre) signal? Or are you confusing the Mid signal (which the map shows as a pair sitting across the front of the ensemble section) with the main Decca tree – and where the stereo image is centred?

If I load the "default" Mixer Preset, it loads all mics used to record whichever instrument I load - great
Why do you insist on loading the only Mixer Preset that contains no setting at all? It's like a nulled mixing console, as an invitation to "roll your own". Everything is set to unity, or zero, if you want.

Load one of the ready-made presets and take it from there.
:)

1713343021820.png

I am trying to gauge why you should be so frustrated, as the “in situ” recording concept isn’t that complicated to grasp at all. Place a couple of mics in front of an entire string band and -disregarding Dietz’ nuanced explanations for a second- you’ll already have the first violins more to the left and the basses to the right, etc.

And this is how my VSL libraries behave. Yours don’t? Using your ears, not just looking at VU metering? If that’s the case I’d just send in a support ticket and take it from there.

By the way: Dietz also works for VSL in case you didn’t know.
Thanks Doc - I just found out about @Dietz working for VSL as he replied on the VSL forum

The past week or so, trying to learn the VSL Synchron universe, has been frustrating for me - due to my own usual overthinking and last night, I just reached my wit's end so, I posted here on VIC and looking back, it could be viewed that I was ranting - I apologize to VSL and VIC if that is how it came across - sometimes my own frustration gets the better of me

Violins *are* to the left on the Decca tree L/R signal. Are you listening to or looking at the mono (Decca centre) signal? Or are you confusing the Mid signal (which the map shows as a pair sitting across the front of the ensemble section) with the main Decca tree – and where the stereo image is centred?
I was looking at the Main (not Main-C) but, it had been a long day so I am going to check again now while I have an early lunch and energy drink

(BRB checking)

To my ears (which, admittedly, are not the best) - the stereo image of the Main is slightly to the left on Violins one (I A/B'd with the Main-C) -- perhaps I was thinking the image would be noticeably wider but, I am realizing my assumption was likely incorrect

Why do you insist on loading the only Mixer Preset that contains no setting at all? It's like a nulled mixing console, as an invitation to "roll your own". Everything is set to unity, or zero, if you want.

Load one of the ready-made presets and take it from there.
:)

1713343021820.png

Yes, I can do that but, one thing I was trying to figure out was whether the Power Pan applied to those Mix Presets (like in your screenshot) was exactly how the library was recorded or whether the Default Mix Preset, which has no Power Pan applied, was exactly how the library was recorded

Once I know that, I will have my bearings

PS: I realize I am likely becoming annoying with my questions (I am starting to annoy myself) so I will take a respite

the Default Mix Preset, which has no Power Pan applied, was exactly how the library was recorded
That's exactly how the library was recorded, but not the way it's meant to actually be heard. It's like uncooked pasta, you know. That's how it was manufactured, but not how it was meant to be eaten. ;)

That's exactly how the library was recorded, but not the way it's meant to actually be heard. It's like uncooked pasta, you know. That's how it was manufactured, but not how it was meant to be eaten. ;)
Got it - I am definitely not going to attempt to mix anything - I like the idea of using the default and then having an experienced orchestral mix engineer set up the panning

I appreciate the information though and, once again, VIC has really helped me

I like the idea of using the default and then having an experienced orchestral mix engineer set up the panning
That's exactly what all the Mixer Presets in Synchron Player provide. Choose the one you like most and save it as your personal Default Setting.

That's exactly what all the Mixer Presets in Synchron Player provide. Choose the one you like most and save it as your personal Default Setting.
Ahhhh ok

Which brings me to something that might be a bug in the VSL Synchron Brass Horn 1 patch

When I bring up the Close Surround preset for the Horn 1 patch, there is no panning at all

It is the only patch I have come across in the Synchron libraries that is missing such

I always keep my VSL libraries up to date so I have the most recent update(s)

Does the Horn 1 Close Surround mixer preset also show no panning if you pull it up on your system?

Thank you

horn1.jpeg

Top Bottom