What's new

Soundpaint not working suddenly just now. Seems like a server issue, Is it just me?

Does anyone understand the technology enough to make a first post in a new thread with a positive message in the heading? It might help to get the word out to those who see 'headlines' and then vaguely remember problems that Soundpaint is now adequately programmed, as was always intended, to default to remaining registered when contact with home base cannot be established. There will still be some who are upset that it tries without asking permission from the user; but most people will be content if to know that there isn't a built in weakness here.

Avoiding developers or software due to technical issues is not unique to Soundpaint. In different ways, some of us have to avoid certain developers due to recurrent technical problems that render them unreliable on our own systems (examples that come to mind are Engine II on Macs and the Spitfire player on some people's systems - some people just cannot rely on them so do not use them). The fear was that there was an inbuilt weakness rendering Soundpaint unreliable on the system of anyone whose composing computer was ever connected to the internet. (There were also other fears, concerning permission, transparency, communication, and so on.) If someone with a genuine technical understanding of the programming can communicate this fully in an initial post to a new thread, it might get the message out there a little better.

Basically, I love what Soundpaint is doing and I want people who might enjoy it and benefit from it to know that it is a sound investment of time and money.

dear Bee
please excuse me if I didn't understand you fully.
Are you worried the name of thread will affect people having negative opinion while the error had have been solved?

dear Bee
please excuse me if I didn't understand you fully.
Are you worried the name of thread will affect people having negative opinion while the error had have been solved?
Probably not, thinking about it.

But the the first six or seven pages of the thread might be an issue! Maybe an 'In Praise of Soundpaint' thread would be a better idea. There are technical issues all over the place with different things, so perhaps there's nothing troubling with the title of the thread as such; just that there is nothing out there to counteract any negative impressions that may have leaked out for this incident.

If you wanted to, and only if you are comfortable that it is so, you might just add something like 'Problem resolved' to the heading. That seems to be something that some people do.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a depressive moment - not feeling sad, just my brain isn't working adequately. So I may be talking gibberish.

I don't completely disagree with you.

I'll later add an 'Update' on the first page that the error was resolved and how it's not related to checking our license every once in a while.

To me this thread is still on going.
and also I hope all the possible users read the whole process through.

I was glad Matt was here to clear some of our questions. but the core problem that arose in this thread is, to me, communication.
as Matt mentioned that they were gonna have a meeting

i'm sure this will be top topic and can make sure to have them send out a more detailed description of the outage.

I am waiting to see an email that goes through the whole incident.
that will make this case closed officially.

and that live chat on there website, was never available to me everytime I click it and it saying '24/7' above still bothers me. it's okay not to offer help 24/7 we are all human. but 24/7 is very misleading here.

anyway, I'll do something about that first post. but I ain't sure about touching the title of the thread.

Simple question as I stopped following this earlier and dont want to read threw all of the pages: Is it save now to start the latest Soundpaint installation before the "crash" and without needing to search on discord for any beta-updates ?

Would like to help _ BUT _ waited a bit, then to Beta, then issues with some content /dnlds, then directed tp latest Update. Some tedious dnlds, but all seems well now.
Discord has been far from helpful, yet have never sorted it fully. Hoping you /we get further useful comment here !!

Simple question as I stopped following this earlier and dont want to read threw all of the pages: Is it save now to start the latest Soundpaint installation before the "crash" and without needing to search on discord for any beta-updates ?
According to the Discord v1.1.1 has been officialy released, so it should just work. The whole thing was caused by a bug, that was solved and patched in said update, if I am not mistaken. So you should be good. No need for redownloading any libraries.

What do we know now about whether Soundpaint needs to have Internet connection in order to run everytime it's launched or can still be used offline?
(Trying to decide if I need to ditch it altogether.)

The thing was, every time you start up SP it checks to see if there are software updates and new purchased libraries. Due to a bug it could not start the program when the SP server on Amazon Web Services was down. It was an unfortunate way to find a bug. The team has assured us that there was never any intention to “phone home periodically” (like ROLI does for instance) to check for authorization. The whole design philosophy is: an installed version of SP should and will always work on any system that is offline, academically speaking: forever, without any issues.

If the first “ping” (the one during startup) is unsuccesful for whatever reason (your computer is offline, or SP’s AWS server is) it wouldn’t have any consequences: SP will just work.

For the record: I support the notion that it would indeed be helpful to state something of this nature in the OP and to adapt the thread title to include the words “(resolved)” or something of a similar nature.

The only additional resolution I’d like to see is a return of the usual SP spokespersons to VI-C to chime in on the matter and reassure the user base a bit more formally. As much as I appreciated the developer stopping by, the discourse that followed was not entirely frictionless, which I regret (being a pretty big fan of 8dio and Soundpaint). I understand they will have some sort of “post mortem” meeting shortly and hope they can share a bit of the learnings on here ;)

Last edited:
What's absent from the thread and what is likely to set everyone's mind at ease/set the record straight is @Troels Folmann chiming in. He's fairly active on VI Control from time to time and he runs 8Dio/Soundpaint. His wit is always welcomed and I think would do a lot for any sort of "damage control" that needs to be done, not to discredit @matt ingalls contribution to the thread in any way.

With a small company, it's important for the founder(s) to chime in especially when they are the face of Soundpaint.

@chomeaso: It's been concluded that this was an innocent and indeed unfortunate bug (they do happen) and that SP does not require users to be online and / or authenticate at every startup. I honestly don't believe that people will read through this quite overreactive thread, which is pretty obvious here and here.

It would be fitting for you to do yours to deescalate the topic overall and close this case / thread properly for posterity. I therefore suggest that you, as a bare minimum, simplify and move your update text to the top of the first post, not keeping it at the bottom. In addition, I suggest you do so without making it contingent on SP making changes to their website or you receiving a formal writeup of information you have essentially already received (from Troels and @matt ingalls).

It would be fitting for you to do yours to deescalate the topic overall and close this case / thread properly for posterity. I therefore suggest that you, as a bare minimum, simplify and move your update text to the top of the first post, not keeping it at the bottom. In addition, I suggest you do so without making it contingent on SP making changes to their website or you receiving a formal writeup of information you have essentially already received (from Troels and @matt ingalls).

I'd be happy to move that update part on the top. Fair point.

I'm not sure how to simplify the point I made up there. Those were the best I could do.
The bug was resolved but like I said I am still waiting to receive another email.

anyway, we do have a company-wide meeting tomorrow and i'm sure this will be top topic and can make sure to have them send out a more detailed description of the outage.

Because I was told we would.
and I'm allowed to wait for what was promised?
I'm not on a mission to destroy their business. I've been using their product very well until this happened. I still want to, in the future. Maybe.... I kinda panicked this time and it will take some time to restore my belief. I generally do believe what Matt said that this was not what we suspected but an honest mistake.

The reason why I'm waiting for this 'detailed description' is,
Lack of these information was why we all panicked. I'm sure there are plenty people in the world using Soundpaint and not on this forum and discord either. As much as the quality of the product matters, how things were dealt with, when a problem occurs is important. This thread is awefully longer than it should be, but in some way it shows how this problem was dealt with.

I say things about 24/7 live chet thingy but those are purely my additional opinion. When I receive this 'More Detailed Description of the Outage' I'll put (case closed) on the title if that will brings some peace to many those who worry this would affect their business badly and unfairly. I'd probably quote the email itself on the first page.

I'd still keep my opinions included, however, because it should be okay for everybody to have their own opinion.

I do want official end to this. It is getting way longer than it should be.

I'd be happy to move that update part on the top. Fair point.

I'm not sure how to simplify the point I made up there. Those were the best I could do.
The bug was resolved but like I said I am still waiting to receive another email.

Because I was told we would.
and I'm allowed to wait for what was promised?
I'm not on a mission to destroy their business. I've been using their product very well until this happened. I still want to, in the future. Maybe.... I kinda panicked this time and it will take some time to restore my belief. I generally do believe what Matt said that this was not what we suspected but an honest mistake.

The reason why I'm waiting for this 'detailed description' is,
Lack of these information was why we all panicked. I'm sure there are plenty people in the world using Soundpaint and not on this forum and discord either. As much as the quality of the product matters, how things were dealt with, when a problem occurs is important. This thread is awefully longer than it should be, but in some way it shows how this problem was dealt with.

I say things about 24/7 live chet thingy but those are purely my additional opinion. When I receive this 'More Detailed Description of the Outage' I'll put (case closed) on the title if that will brings some peace to many those who worry this would affect their business badly and unfairly. I'd probably quote the email itself on the first page.

I'd still keep my opinions included, however, because it should be okay for everybody to have their own opinion.

I do want official end to this. It is getting way longer than it should be.
we did discuss this and everyone agreed there should have been better communication -- i understood they did sent out a follow up email. we do have 2+1 great people in-house that do all the 8dio/soundpaint in-person customer support and i think that's where most of the focus is. the discord chats for better or worse are the "official" community discussions. i'm not sure how much they look at 3rd party boards. i think in general us engineers get thumbs up when we post -- "straight from the horses mouth," as it were. i personally wouldn't care about hearing from the Troels but i do understand where y'all are coming from.

The whole design philosophy is: an installed version of SP should and will always work on any system that is offline, academically speaking: forever, without any issues.

If the first “ping” (the one during startup) is unsuccesful for whatever reason (your computer is offline, or SP’s AWS server is) it wouldn’t have any consequences: SP will just work.
just to clarify: one instance of Soundpaint has to be online and logged in to validate any newly installed library. after that, no server communication is needed to run -- you can be offline forever after that. the usual download should be no problem as you are online anyway. you can though install libraries copying from other machines/drives, so if you do that offline you will need to take the destination computer back online before you can use those specific libraries.

While for the team at SoundPaint this might be a sensitive issue to have someone telling them "good luck getting me back as a customer", I will detail why I have had that reaction and why I think is warranted: it is all about the style of communication and attitude towards the existing customers.

Because of the shared team, I am thinking of 8dio and SoundPaint as one and same company.

It's been now ten days since the incident has happened and with the exception of this thread, I haven't had any communication from the company - and even this bit of update here has not been officially endorsed by any of the management/support team.
I have tried to see if there is any acknowledgment of the error on the SoundPaint website/news/support section and there isn't any kind of public information about that.
I have tried to go on both the community forums for 8dio and SoundPaint and it gives me an error (tried with three different browsers both on my desktop and my mobile and on two different Internet providers just to exclude errors from my side).
I have never used Discord.
I did not receive any e-mail updates from 8dio/SoundPaint since May (and it was about activating my account on the new 8dio website).

Plus, from the support section at 8dio:
"Can I automatically update my owned libraries?
We do not currently have an automatic updating system. However, this is something we are working on adding as soon as possible.
If you see an update for one of your owned libraries is available, or want to check for available updates, email us at [email protected]. From there we will add any updates to your account :)"

As I previously mentioned, I own over 50 libraries from 8dio and more than 10 from SoundPaint. This incident shows me that the actual style has not changed and I am not willing anymore to pay for the privilege of being ignored.

Not sure what lib updates have to do with this thread, but FWIW, we do have patch updates implemented for Soundpaint libraries. I am not involved with the 8dio side, but i do think they are currently creating a way to do the same for the Kontakt libraries.

Top Bottom