What's new

Soundcloud -- BEWARE

Take a look at Bandcamp?

You can have a free account, or upgrade ($5/month) if you want to sell physical goods, CDs, merch, vinyls, etc.
Thanks for the info, I've just created an account on Bandcamp.
But do they preserve the rights on the creations a little better than on soundcloud?

But do they preserve the rights on the creations a little better than on soundcloud?
I found more information here.

This might be of interest:

QUOTE: "I believe what BandCamp terms says covers the use of your music at their website. They can use it (if you're lucky enough to have it selected) as advertisement for music available at the website. They can't take your song and sell it to the Ford Motor Company to use in a commercial (which would require Ford paying for a mechanical license and then paying the songwriter and the recording owner royalties).

As a copyright owner you must waive some of your rights in order to have the music available at the BandCamp website. If you're a member of a PRO like BMI or ASCAP you need to agree not to expect to have your PRO collect performance royalties from BandCamp."

You could also consider Reverbnation. But all of them will have those clauses so they have your permission to stream your music, use it in their promotion if they find it's to their advantage, but they can't just sell your music out or give it to a commercial endeavor without your agreement against remuneration (I would think).

I'm sharing this in case people use SoundCloud to showcase their work and aren't aware of this.

Not sure how long this has been going on... but I played a track and when I scrubbed to skip forward I was greeted with this.

1712285129344.png

It doesn't happen at all times. I'm not sure under which exact conditions it does happen.

It seems SoundCloud is experimenting with forcing people to sign up. Probably to pump up their user numbers for the upcoming acquisition. Obviously people who have uploaded content are logged in and will not experience this.

Disclaimer: I'm working on a somewhat distant competing product. This doesn't change the fact that this is terrible if you're using SoundCloud to showcase your work.

I recently had a bad experience with Soundcloud. I had about 600 of my own tracks (Next Pro), which I partially monetized through repost - my main distributor, Distrokid. In March, all releases were taken down, earnings for the previous month, about 500 dollars, were blocked. I wrote to them a few times and they replied as always: "As stated in the email you received, we can no longer provide you with access to SoundCloud for Artists due to the use of SC4A for monetization and/or distribution of content that is not eligible for monetization or violates the Community Guidelines our partners. Upon receipt of this email, we have terminated your account and you will no longer be able to access the SoundCloud dashboard for artists to be frozen indefinitely.” Bad company!

monetization and/or distribution of content that is not eligible for monetization or violates the Community Guidelines our partners
Why would they write this if the tracks you uploaded were yours? (real question) So they just confiscated the $500?

Yes, they confiscated $500 and taken down all my releases - a few hundred monetized tracks (I only monetized stores that I can't monetize through Distrokid, like Shazam) and a few tracks that were only monetized via repost (all stores). I have contacted their support team with this question several times and each time they have answered it with the same answer.

In the category of looking for platforms to share freely without handing over all your rights to an unethical intermediary (like SC), what do you think of Audius, Mixcloud and Audiomack?
For the moment I'm trying to set up my bandcamp site, which is very good but not oriented towards sharing (even if you can have private sharing links).
I haven't had a chance to try out Reverbnation yet.

Mind you, I'm talking about sharing freely, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a free platform!

In the category of looking for platforms to share freely without handing over all your rights to an unethical intermediary (like SC), what do you think of Audius, Mixcloud and Audiomack?
For the moment I'm trying to set up my bandcamp site, which is very good but not oriented towards sharing (even if you can have private sharing links).

Mind you, I'm talking about sharing freely, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a free platform!
any streaming service will require permission to provide your music to other users of that service.

re bandcamp - what aspect of sharing that you want is not available on that platform. About the only limit - and you set it - is how many times someone can listen to your track without paying for it

I haven't researched this issue (I'm from Ukraine and can't concentrate on it because of the war) I recently started using Audiomack - downloaded a few tracks and uploaded one track to bandcamp. I am still using soundcloud nex pro but without monetization and will not be continuing it.

any streaming service will require permission to provide your music to other users of that service.

re bandcamp - what aspect of sharing that you want is not available on that platform. About the only limit - and you set it - is how many times someone can listen to your track without paying for it
OK, I understand. But if we assume that no broadcasting platform is going to respect rights with a minimum of ethics, why especially denounce soundcloud's policy?
I was thinking that between ceding a minimum of implicit rights to this type of platform and usage, and not really respecting anything in order to make a lot of money behind your back, there might be some intermediaries who are a bit more scrupulous.
That's what the money you pay for these platforms' paid services should be used for, for example. Yes, you give them the rights, but they can't use everything and anything without your permission.
It's not even a question of money. It's simply a question of respecting the author's rights. If the aim is to make money from your music, you don't choose these platforms as a priority anyway.
As for Bandcamp, yes I know it's not the same use, that's what I said in my message.

So the question wasn't to find a free platform to which you don't give any rights and which respects everything, while giving you money, it was rather to know if, from the point of view of simply sharing music, you could find in all the platforms some that perhaps respect a bit more what Soundcloud is criticised for here.
But if there aren't ... there aren't :)
In which case you might as well put everything on soundcloud, youtube etc. or not put anything at all unless it's on a private cloud space :)

OK, I understand. But if we assume that no broadcasting platform is going to respect rights with a minimum of ethics, why especially denounce soundcloud's policy?
I was thinking that between ceding a minimum of implicit rights to this type of platform and usage, and not really respecting anything in order to make a lot of money behind your back, there might be some intermediaries who are a bit more scrupulous.
That's what the money you pay for these platforms' paid services should be used for, for example. Yes, you give them the rights, but they can't use everything and anything without your permission.
It's not even a question of money. It's simply a question of respecting the author's rights. If the aim is to make money from your music, you don't choose these platforms as a priority anyway.
As for Bandcamp, yes I know it's not the same use, that's what I said in my message.

So the question wasn't to find a free platform to which you don't give any rights and which respects everything, while giving you money, it was rather to know if, from the point of view of simply sharing music, you could find in all the platforms some that perhaps respect a bit more what Soundcloud is criticised for here.
In which case you might as well put everything on soundcloud, youtube etc. or not put anything at all unless it's on a private cloud space :)
I dont criticise soundcloud for the rights thing - they seem the same as everyone to me. I don treally use their service much at all so it is not a big interest for me. I prefer Bandcamp just as I prefer Vimeo over Youtube - I think the interface is betterl, I dont get spurious customers as much, and I seem to get better quality for my material from both platformns

Ehem, yes there are (see my signature).

The problem is that nothing is really free in this world. You're either the customer or you (and your content) are the product. Companies need to make money and unfortunately everyone expects everything to be free these days.

I'm not defending shady practices but for a company like SoundCloud or YouTube to be able operate they need to generate a ton of money. SoundCloud was about to close shop some years ago and they only survived because they got injected hundreds of millions. And they only generated profit for the first time a couple of months ago after laying off like 30% of their staff in 2022-2023.

Ehem, yes there are (see my signature).

The problem is that nothing is really free in this world. You're either the customer or you (and your content) are the product. Companies need to make money and unfortunately everyone expects everything to be free these days.

I'm not defending shady practices but for a company like SoundCloud or YouTube to be able operate they need to generate a ton of money. SoundCloud was about to close shop some years ago and they only survived because they got injected hundreds of millions. And they only generated profit for the first time a couple of months ago after laying off like 30% of their staff in 2022-2023.
I couldn't agree more! That's why I made it clear that I wasn't necessarily looking for a free service! I prefer a paid but fair service. Not that all free services are dishonest, but assuming that they post their terms and conditions knowing full well that no-one will read them because they're saturated with information and conditioned to "everything free", some of them cross the ethical line more than others.
Honestly, I've seen it all. There are also publishers like Microsoft who don't mind charging very high prices WHILE getting your data back ^^.
But there are also those who are clearly free, without turning the customer into a product, but just using the money made by paying for the more extensive service.
In short, we're talking about All that to say that you can find anything as long as you're not looking for Santa Claus.
Thanks for the links, I'll take a look!

Last time I uploaded original stuff, it ended up on some Russian site. So, don't do it anymore. Also, don't like 128kb sound.

Top Bottom