What's new

Sorry composer, we blew our budget on vfx and actors

Greg

Every single movie I've worked on so far has started the conversation that way..

How do producers unanimously assume they can weasel composers into working for peanuts? Almost like they're learning it in film school: budget 101. It's like instead of bringing flowers to a first date they steal your f*cking car.

Every single movie I've worked on so far has started the conversation that way..

How do producers unanimously assume they can weasel composers into working for peanuts? Almost like they're learning it in film school: budget 101. It's like instead of bringing flowers to a first date they steal your f*cking car.

Because there will always be someone who will agree to do it for nothing. I got into this debate over on Facebook the other day, the more people keep taking shit like that on for free, the more normal it becomes.....the more people will do it.

Best you can do is figure out what is valuable to you and stick to your own value. If you are worth it people will pay.

-DJ

It's pretty sick. I wish when I have an electrician come to my house I could tell him: "You know, I wish I could pay you, and you really deserve it, but unfortunately my entire budget went into the house renovations I just made, but it will look good on your cv."

It's pretty sick. I wish when I have an electrician come to my house I could tell him: "You know, I wish I could pay you, and you really deserve it, but unfortunately my entire budget went into the house renovations I just made, but it will look good on your cv."

Too bad as composers we cant twist the wires and burn their entire movie down... Or maybe we can with some constant high and low frequencies? Muahaha

It's not big deal. Just say "That's a shame. Good luck with your movie." If they want you, they'll come back with some money. If they just want someone cheap or free, do you really want to be that person? There are two exceptions:

1. When you have no credits and the project is really good; something that will help your career in the long run. However, you must set a limit on how many projects you will do like this before you say "no". Remember; once you have done a movie for nothing, the same production team will never pay you on a future project. Why would they? You've already shown that you're willing to do it for nothing.

2. When it is a favour for a friend and you're trying to help their career. However, again make sure it is a "one time only" offer. Never go back for seconds.

I think the number of electricians who compose in the evening and dream of being full time composers, far out weight the composers who dream of becoming full time electricians. Unfortunately.

Gents,
This sort of manipulation by producers was happening to me years ago! The fact is that the internet has devalued music and the ubiquity of the computer and people who want to compose with it has swamped the industry and buried it. I'm not moaning about this, but Daniel has got it right above, there are people willing to do work for nothing and producers know this and have no qualms about exploiting it.
I wont judge anyone who takes on work for free when starting out, because there is no other way in for a lot of people, but right there is where the exploitation is in a lot of cases and the problem of too many people trying to break in merely feeds the abuse.

I wont judge anyone who takes on work for free when starting out, because there is no other way in for a lot of people...
Of course not, but equally anyone who has done this has no right to complain when someone undercuts them for exactly the same reason.

On this forum there are many part timers who undercut the people who compose for a living. They are perfectly entitled to do so. However, nobody should be unaware that this practice is driving a wedge in the industry, where the ordinary composer, who traditionally would have been able to make a living, will no longer be able to do so. Either you will be right at the top, in that small, elite group, or you will be right at the bottom, and either just scraping a living, or doing it as a hobby.

Good point Daryl, which is why I wouldn't judge. One could argue that the ubiquity of the computer, the ease with which music can be created and a complete lack of any morality from some producers has democratised the compositional act, but in doing so, I think it has also diluted it creatively, and reduced it to mere parodies of itself that anyone can "write".

Last edited:
Why do composers think this only happens in this field? It's the same whatever the industry. We hear it constantly in web development and graphic design sector as "so-and-so's younger brother has offered to do it for free", or next to nothing. Fine, use him, watch the project fail and we'll see you again in 12 months. It's the same with tradesman, mechanics, gardeners, decorators, catering...it's just the way of things.

Yeah, it's frustrating and muddies the waters, but its not going to change, ever. Set your price and do the work that fits.

Mac, I don't think the situation is unique to composing, and although I don't speak for the others here, I bet they don't neither - I mean, give us some credit, As this is a thread about composing, I just thought I'd stick to the topic at hand, fair enough?

But in an interview they'll sound a film is 50% sound.... :cautious:

Because there will always be someone who will agree to do it for nothing. I got into this debate over on Facebook the other day, the more people keep taking shit like that on for free, the more normal it becomes.....the more people will do it.

I get that the ones at the top calling the shots will do anything in their power to screw us, but when you have people like Richard Kraft and a horde of ass kissers working composer advocating in favor of free work and normalizing the practice, you know we are really screwed.

Last edited:
It's not big deal. Just say "That's a shame. Good luck with your movie." If they want you, they'll come back with some money. If they just want someone cheap or free, do you really want to be that person?

I agree. I did that recently. Producer offered me nearly no money. I said "no, but good luck with your film" and said nothing else. He started to actually get nervous, and wrote a very long email explaining why he could not pay me. Again I said "OK, good luck with your film." Then he asked if he had offended me, and that the next film will have a big music budget, and hopefully I could work on that film.

Just have the courage to say no to bad deals, and they might get the message.

I think the number of electricians who compose in the evening and dream of being full time composers, far out weight the composers who dream of becoming full time electricians. Unfortunately.

True. However, electricians or plumbers, seem not too unhappy, always whistling in their jobs, probably because they know an hour of whistling = $$. If I'd had to do it all over, I would get 2 years of training in one of those jobs, as a side job, very rarely these guys don't have work. Sad reality.

If I'd had to do it all over, I would get 2 years of training in one of those jobs, as a side job, very rarely these guys don't have work. Sad reality.
You don't need 2 years of training. With modern technology, plumbing and electrics are easier than they've ever been. You only need a little bit of DIY skills, and Bob's your Uncle. The DIY skills is where I fall down though...

Top Bottom