What's new

Sonokinetic libraries (& others)

newpassport

Hi All,

I'm curious about the Sonokinetic phrase libraries and other developers who do similar things. I am categorically not looking for pre-recorded phrases, but for libraries where you, as the composer, are still basically in control. Things like the Time Micro/Macro from Orchestral Tools are the sort of thing I am talking about, plus the Evos from Spitfire. Yes, those samples have some interesting performances within them, but they are not dictating anything (or very little), melodically or harmonically.

Do any of the Sonokinetic libraries offer anything like that? I think repetitions, arpeggios, etc, are good examples of things that might be useful, but still allowing you to compose. I notice 8dio has a library called Ostinato for strings. Anything else out there worth a look?

Thanks very much.

I think Sonokinetik (for the most part) will be too "finished" for you. They're mostly already composed phrases that you can piece together.

If you want more ostinato or developing lines that you still compose with, then check out The Orchestra by Sonuscore or the Heavyocity stuff (Novo, Forzo, Vento). Also, Action Strings by NI but it sounds garbage.

Last edited:
Sonokinetic have some ostinato libraries for strings, woods, brass. These are a bit different to their main phrase libraries.

For me though, I find their phrase libraries more useful than the ostinatos.

Sounds like The Orchestra is what you are looking for.

I notice 8dio has a library called Ostinato for strings. Anything else out there worth a look?
The 8 Dio Ostinato Strings are mainly short arcs, no phrases, no arpeggios!
But there are a few simple rhythmic arcs per instrument.

So it's by no means comparable to TOC or the Sonokinetic librarys.

I like them anyway and they have a rather harsh sound which is good for ostinates.

Hi All,

I'm curious about the Sonokinetic phrase libraries and other developers who do similar things. I am categorically not looking for pre-recorded phrases, but for libraries where you, as the composer, are still basically in control. Things like the Time Micro/Macro from Orchestral Tools are the sort of thing I am talking about, plus the Evos from Spitfire. Yes, those samples have some interesting performances within them, but they are not dictating anything (or very little), melodically or harmonically.

Do any of the Sonokinetic libraries offer anything like that? I think repetitions, arpeggios, etc, are good examples of things that might be useful, but still allowing you to compose. I notice 8dio has a library called Ostinato for strings. Anything else out there worth a look?

Thanks very much.
The Sonokinetic libraries vary a lot. Some are more textural, others feature rudimentary motifs. For instance, I find Sotto very useful for roughing in textures, and work ideas out, but I find Largo's phrases often have motifs that are too well-defined, and so the library is not as useful to me.

That said, the Sonokinetic libraries come with midi drop and drag, so for something like Largo where the phrases have defined motifs, you can export the midi, use your own VIs, and then alter the motifs as you like. It makes it somewhat more flexible.

Ark 3 repetition patches are pretty much broken, though. They just don't really work right. I don't find them useful as they don't behave correctly. But there's a lot of other content in there that can be used.

Ark 3 repetition patches are pretty much broken, though. They just don't really work right. I don't find them useful as they don't behave correctly. But there's a lot of other content in there that can be used.

Would you mind expanding on that ?
I have had a few problems myself but not always, and I was wondering if it was just user error... ;)

The only Sonokinetik library I've bought is Espressivo. I love it and use it quite a bit. It points to the future. I always wondered what you could do with snippets (clips) from 20th century avant garde music, composing with performed blocks rather than just individual notes, avoiding copyright issues and different acoustical spaces and varied orchestras. Well, it's limited, but there it is. Nothing I've found sounds more natural and homogeneous. Spitfire and Project Sam do some similar work, but mostly effects and bursts to shock or frighten the listener. Espressivo has lovely things in it, and it's amazing how well they connect. It's a library full of ideas that orchestral musicians love. It's not just war movie filler. Stravinsky would have had an intense love/hate reaction to it. Now we need a 21st century orchestral library to go with it.

Would you mind expanding on that ?
I have had a few problems myself but not always, and I was wondering if it was just user error... ;)

In general, it's just broken. The repetition patch has never worked right. There's also a lot of repetitive noises. The cutoff is funky, too. You have to trim the note just right for the volume to cut off correctly. Not really useful. I don't use them.

I'm still waiting on the Sonokinetic BF deals. I'm looking for Espressivo and Minimal. But I'm still not sure if I can really use them. I'm a bit afraid that I can't cope with the finished loophrases. With percussion and guitar it's easy, but with orchestra I still lack the imagination.
Actually I'm mainly looking for runs, weird sounds and some basic phrases.

I have the Redroom Audio Arps & Runs with which I am very satisfied.
Which Sonokinetic Library offers runs that would be a good addition? Both for strings and woodwinds?

I find that one can't play them in the same quality.

I have the Redroom Audio Arps & Runs with which I am very satisfied.
Which Sonokinetic Library offers runs that would be a good addition? Both for strings and woodwinds?

I find that one can't play them in the same quality.
Andy, have you checked out Ben Osterhouse's libraries?

Top Bottom