What's new

Sonokinetic bundle worth it?

Is it even possible to edit the melodic motifs in something like Sonokinetic Indie and have Indie play the modified motif? Then it would be more feasible to build a full melodic line for a part. Or is it only supposed to be used for ostinatos/background with a "real" multisampled library? It seems like Indie would be a nice complement to British Drama Toolkit or Tundra (similar tonal character)

Is it even possible to edit the melodic motifs in something like Sonokinetic Indie and have Indie play the modified motif? Then it would be more feasible to build a full melodic line for a part. Or is it only supposed to be used for ostinatos/background with a "real" multisampled library? It seems like Indie would be a nice complement to British Drama Toolkit or Tundra (similar tonal character)
You can "edit" in two ways. Drag the midi, adjust it, and use another instrument. Or bounce it to audio and edit the audio with your DAW. They pretty much all have drag to midi available now.

I only have Espressivo. It's chock full of phrases that would be impossible to recreate using conventional libraries. The only problem: almost no one likes that edgy, kinetic and dissonant sound that I often find soothing, thoughtful and inspiring. I've used material from that library as a basis for fairly large projects, the way a pop composer uses a drum track as a baseline for a conventional tune. I keep looking at Sotto, but I have a hard time figuring out how I would actually use it, as it does not lend itself well to continuity of thought and idea development. It just sounds pretty, inviting me to add more voices to chords and add counter motion and such. I don't do much minimalism, so that leaves out an obvious option. Their other libraries might work for film scores, but they too have those same continuity issues.

they are very much meant to be played.. the demo I did for Indie is using only Indie

no other instruments added. The way you can switch between phrases and chords on the fly makes them very playable and malleable - not as much as multisampled instruments of course, but you do get a very real sound as an upside, and it can provide great inspiration

So far I have Largo, Indie, Minimal, Modal Runs and String, Brass and Noir Ostinato.
I have had a hard time with the more melodic phrases so far. Since I use this only for a basic structure I sometimes miss a bit more variation in a phrase.

The limitation to major and minor chords is also sometimes limiting.

I wonder which of the following libraries offers the most pure rhythmic elements with a bit more ooomph, less melodic.

Grosso, Maximo or Capriccio.

Sotto has nice rhythmic elements, but sounds a bit too well-behaved to me.

I love them, and have several of their libraries. As mentioned by Piotr, they often spark inspiration, and also blend nicely with my other libraries. My only complaint about their phrase based libraries is that it’s often a struggle to get the timing correct. If you quantize the triads (which are what you play to trigger a phrase for a given chord), they usually don’t play back in the right timing. You have to manually play them in, it’s a “feel” thing.

Oh Lord, sounds like torturing. I know exactly what you mean and I am trying my best to avoid such phrased libraries. It sucks your time.

Grosso, Capriccio .. or both ... ?
I like Capriccio the best because it seems like the most basic flowy orchestra. Mid level sound - i.e. not soft, not loud, just what you expect for an orchestral sound. Grosso is louder and will do the epic sounds. But not the quieter.

If you do mostly standard orchestral cues or pieces, Capriccio is probably better. If you do epic orchestral cues or pieces, go with Grosso. And? I usually listen to a play-through of the patches. Although I think I now own most of them....

I like Capriccio the best because it seems like the most basic flowy orchestra. Mid level sound - i.e. not soft, not loud, just what you expect for an orchestral sound. Grosso is louder and will do the epic sounds. But not the quieter.

If you do mostly standard orchestral cues or pieces, Capriccio is probably better. If you do epic orchestral cues or pieces, go with Grosso. And? I usually listen to a play-through of the patches. Although I think I now own most of them....
Both attributes fit. Epic and classic. The rhythmic bed seems to be quite good for both.
I like the transition builder in Grosso. The runs in Capriccio don't appeal to me so much, I'm well equipped.

And then I get the idea how difficult it is to integrate the phrases into already existing compositions.
What I found remarkable was the DAW cast of Le Avventura Grosso by Sacha Knorr. He actually only used Grosso and Da Capo. I have Da Capo too, but I rarely use it. Both libraries seemed to work very well together.

To get ideas, however, the libraries are very good. And some phrases of it are not so easy to play convincingly by yourself, if at all.

Let's see, I think I'll start with Grosso, for Capriccio there's still time until May 12th.

I was hoping for these two in the last x-mas sale. Now they are just a little later in the sale.

Okay, looking at both, Capriccio can do loud. It also has high, mid and low for each of the main sections (Strings, winds, brass) Grosso only has high and low. So you have more sound options.

But then, I have both. If you end up liking Sonokinetic stuff, they do have sales every so often and the 12 Days of Christmas, which is always great.

I have few Sonokinetic instruments and i like them very much.

I wish there is an upgrade path to the bundle for any previous owners of any products in the bundle. It will definitely make existing customers happy.

they are very much meant to be played.. the demo I did for Indie is using only Indie

no other instruments added. The way you can switch between phrases and chords on the fly makes them very playable and malleable - not as much as multisampled instruments of course, but you do get a very real sound as an upside, and it can provide great inspiration

Where would a piece like this stand in regard to the licensing agreement, since no external sound sources are added?

I have few Sonokinetic instruments and i like them very much.

I wish there is an upgrade path to the bundle for any previous owners of any products in the bundle. It will definitely make existing customers happy.
The problem is, with these NI sales, the company gives control over to NI for all these products while the sale is on. They have no control over things like upgrades. It has come up a few times in the past.

Where would a piece like this stand in regard to the licensing agreement, since no external sound sources are added?
It's all layered and played in context which is fine - what the license agreement is mostly there to prevent is people making 'compositions' out of the raw base materials and distributing those. So basically it's there as a stick to make sure people use it only for what it's used for (making music).

The melodies you hear are achieved by changing chords in the middle of phrases using Harmonic shift - these phrases in this case are melodic in nature, but used here to create new melodies. You can really get quite creative with that:)

The problem is, with these NI sales, the company gives control over to NI for all these products while the sale is on. They have no control over things like upgrades. It has come up a few times in the past.
True, I understand. Ultimately existing customer will be very thankful and happy if there is an upgrade path. So i feel it would be great if both the companies create upgrade path for existing customers.

Got Grosso now. While I rummaged on the NI site again I realized that I don't have Espressivo yet.
Since I have VSL Black Eye in the pipeline I have to sleep on it again.

What bothers me about Espressivo is that the tuning is a bit complicated. But I also understand that it would have been difficult to realize the concept in any other way. So you either have to define a controller for it, or you use an instance with several tunings and more for the other articulations.

Apart from that I think Espressivo is great. Still has a bit of time.

Great discussion everyone.
Thanks for all the inputs.

I decided to hold my horses and invest in what I need the most which is jaeger and nucleus. May be I will consider sonokinetic deals in Christmas 2020. I don't feel I need these phrased libraries now. I hope to see audio imperia's summer sale soon.

Top Bottom