What's new

Softube Console 1 Channel & Fader Mk III Announced

Got two hours with it yesterday. Some more initial opinions:

Overall working with this is a very smooth experience. No hiccups, everything does what it’s supposed to. Previous experience with c1 helps a lot of course.

Quality of life improvements:
- dedicated button for bypass (much more useful than I imagined)
- dedicated button for loading a channel strip (so don not have to use shift) which you can then choose from the hardware (list appears on the left screen). Very nice.
- hold that load button and then choose a module and the screen shows you all models you have installed so you can easily switch between eq’s, filters etc. No shift, no remembering which of the channel select buttons you have to press for eq, comp etc, as you had on the mk2. I am much more inclined to try out another eq etc than I ever was with the mk2
- you now have the possibility, per channel, to try out things while you keep what you have done, via the a, b, c and d Shift-buttons. So you can have up to 4 versions of your sound, switch between them easily, bypass when you want, and decide. Great addition!

I don’t know which of these very nice workflow improvements are also accessible (via the plug in maybe) on the mk2 and mk1, but on the mk3 they add to the smoothness of working with the unit. Easy to keep in the zone, to compare, to adjust.

More obvious improvements:
- the screens! Very clear and with very useful info. I keep the right on the channel info (track name etc) and the left on adaptive, so it switches to show info on the module I am working with. I can now work completely without having the overlay on the screen. And where I always had these moments of being lost in the tracks and thereby adjusting things on the wrong track when working with the mk2, this has not happened to me yet on the mk3 and I can’t imagine it will, cause it‘s always right there on the screen, where you are. Also helpful in this respect:
- the color of the channel select buttons. They light up in the same colors as the corresponding track in your daw and the leds above them only light up when they have info on them. So you can easily see which tracks are active and, if you have system in color coding, which type of track (drums, guitars etc) is under which select button. Color of the track and button is also reflected on the screen showing channel info. To conclude: track navigation is a breeze. This, for me, comes in very handy while recording too, as I am a solo artist. Hit the first of that blue select buttons and record on my faderport to record acoustic guitar. Hit the first brown one to record vocals. Etc. Lovely, smooth.
- The unit just feels luxurious. Very nice knobs, subdued color scheme. A classy thing that invites you to do some work.
- The sound of the core suite is very good, although I haven’t had got the time to really compare with other strips. I also have not yet explored the workflow of working with two eq’s and two comps, just tried out if the second ones are easy accessible, and they are.
- The spatial panner! Really easy to use, good interface, and as such a new productive way to space out your mixes. Very cool.

This is just from trying out different things. Had a big smile on my face in doing so. Only downside so far is that if you are a happy c1 user already, the wow-factor might be reduced, because you already know how great the system is. This upgrade then is like having switched to new high quality shoes that instantly fit, instead of experiencing shoes for the first time in your life. Oh, and I have not yet find out how to bypass all instances of c1 at the same time. Shift-bypass did not do that, but instead led me to a lightshow and then a game of pong where the screens on the unit kept the score between my left and right hand. True story!

Very happy I had the financial means to upgrade.

Got two hours with it yesterday. Some more initial opinions:

Overall working with this is a very smooth experience. No hiccups, everything does what it’s supposed to. Previous experience with c1 helps a lot of course.

Quality of life improvements:
- dedicated button for bypass (much more useful than I imagined)
- dedicated button for loading a channel strip (so don not have to use shift) which you can then choose from the hardware (list appears on the left screen). Very nice.
- hold that load button and then choose a module and the screen shows you all models you have installed so you can easily switch between eq’s, filters etc. No shift, no remembering which of the channel select buttons you have to press for eq, comp etc, as you had on the mk2. I am much more inclined to try out another eq etc than I ever was with the mk2
- you now have the possibility, per channel, to try out things while you keep what you have done, via the a, b, c and d Shift-buttons. So you can have up to 4 versions of your sound, switch between them easily, bypass when you want, and decide. Great addition!

I don’t know which of these very nice workflow improvements are also accessible (via the plug in maybe) on the mk2 and mk1, but on the mk3 they add to the smoothness of working with the unit. Easy to keep in the zone, to compare, to adjust.

More obvious improvements:
- the screens! Very clear and with very useful info. I keep the right on the channel info (track name etc) and the left on adaptive, so it switches to show info on the module I am working with. I can now work completely without having the overlay on the screen. And where I always had these moments of being lost in the tracks and thereby adjusting things on the wrong track when working with the mk2, this has not happened to me yet on the mk3 and I can’t imagine it will, cause it‘s always right there on the screen, where you are. Also helpful in this respect:
- the color of the channel select buttons. They light up in the same colors as the corresponding track in your daw and the leds above them only light up when they have info on them. So you can easily see which tracks are active and, if you have system in color coding, which type of track (drums, guitars etc) is under which select button. Color of the track and button is also reflected on the screen showing channel info. To conclude: track navigation is a breeze. This, for me, comes in very handy while recording too, as I am a solo artist. Hit the first of that blue select buttons and record on my faderport to record acoustic guitar. Hit the first brown one to record vocals. Etc. Lovely, smooth.
- The unit just feels luxurious. Very nice knobs, subdued color scheme. A classy thing that invites you to do some work.
- The sound of the core suite is very good, although I haven’t had got the time to really compare with other strips. I also have not yet explored the workflow of working with two eq’s and two comps, just tried out if the second ones are easy accessible, and they are.
- The spatial panner! Really easy to use, good interface, and as such a new productive way to space out your mixes. Very cool.

This is just from trying out different things. Had a big smile on my face in doing so. Only downside so far is that if you are a happy c1 user already, the wow-factor might be reduced, because you already know how great the system is. This upgrade then is like having switched to new high quality shoes that instantly fit, instead of experiencing shoes for the first time in your life. Oh, and I have not yet find out how to bypass all instances of c1 at the same time. Shift-bypass did not do that, but instead led me to a lightshow and then a game of pong where the screens on the unit kept the score between my left and right hand. True story!

Very happy I had the financial means to upgrade.
Great first impressions! How do you find the larger size and taking up more desk space? Thats one thing that’s making me hesitate. Also, the color leds for track select sound nice but are you still needing to do that mental mapping of which track is on which number and reference the OSD to choose the right one?

Appreciate the sharing of first impressions. I'm still on the fence. I have the Console & fader in a rather nice wooden rack & only had them for a year or so. They still obviously work & Softube have been at pains to stress that original/v2 owners won't be abandoned just yet. Something to ponder.

Great first impressions! How do you find the larger size and taking up more desk space? Thats one thing that’s making me hesitate. Also, the color leds for track select sound nice but are you still needing to do that mental mapping of which track is on which number and reference the OSD to choose the right one?
It replaces a c1 + fader combi in a wooden stand, which actually took more space on my desk, so my desk is less cluttered now. That might change in the future if the new fader will offer some new things I can’t resist… For now, I don’t feel I need the fader anymore. Just had a mixing session and I did not miss the fader.

I think a bit of mental mapping will remain, but the combination of white leds above the buttons (indicating if that track produces sound or not) with the colored led IN the button (showing you the type of instrument) helps a ton. And if you accidently press the wrong button: the screen shows you the name of the track you selected. I find the mk3 much more easy to navigate. I do have a system in coloring tracks for specific instruments, and the order of the instruments. For instance, keys are green and the first is always the acoustic piano, the second the rhodes etc.

Appreciate the sharing of first impressions. I'm still on the fence. I have the Console & fader in a rather nice wooden rack & only had them for a year or so. They still obviously work & Softube have been at pains to stress that original/v2 owners won't be abandoned just yet. Something to ponder.
Yes, indeed! I also have the C1 mk2 + fader in a nice wooden stand. The mk3 will replace these. Took a bit of pondering because c1+fader are a great combination still, and them both in the stand looks the part. However, with the mk3 I do regain some deskspace. Until fader mk3, I fear….

Friends,

..any more thoughts, after a few more weeks of use?
I have MK1 and as I've been doing more and more mixing these days, I have been running into a lot of the inherent limitations and slowness (IMO) of the Console 1 system. I think it depends what you are mixing, but for sample library-based orchestral or cinematic music, I'll often need tools that don't exist in the C1 strips - like a more surgical EQ or a dynamic EQ or more creative effects or a more nuanced transient shaper, etc. And personally, I find just using my keyboard and mouse to add and adjust those is faster and more effective (in terms of dialing things in) than just using the C1. The MK3 might be more flexible and faster thanks to the screens, but you still have to move around across all the knobs and buttons to get what you want.

Friends,

..any more thoughts, after a few more weeks of use?
I still stand by my first impressions which I wrote about a couple of posts earlier. The MK3 is fantastic. One thing I may have mentioned: I find myself trying out different modules so much faster, as it is so easy to do now (hold add, click the section, and choose from the screen on the mk3). No more shifting, and crucially: I don’t have to look at my monitor anymore. It is seamless. Also: the new addons to the shaper section I find very usefull: the spatial panner really helps in adding 3d to your music and the dual band compressor is great in shaping the sound, from very subtle to dramatic.

Also very quick: broad eq in slot 1 and then taming some frequencies with the eq from the Weiss channel in slot 2. Adding two extra bands with shift… al fast and easy.

I really couldn’t be happier. I hardly use the mouse when mixing, though it is still crucial for setting up my template, and for editing. Still, if you don’t like C1 workflow in general, or you find Softube lacks the tools you need for your music, your experience probably will differ from mine. It is still Console 1, it is still restricted to Softube and UAD, just with better hardware and an even more handson, console-like experience. But even the restriction to Softube plugins alone is less of a problem with the mk3, for me. I have my liquidsonic reverbs, Kush Audio and Soundtoys plugs on FX tracks and can control them very easily with the dedicated send knobs on the unit. 3 sends direct, and another three using shift.

Did I mention I LOVE this thing?

I still stand by my first impressions which I wrote about a couple of posts earlier. The MK3 is fantastic. One thing I may have mentioned: I find myself trying out different modules so much faster, as it is so easy to do now (hold add, click the section, and choose from the screen on the mk3). No more shifting, and crucially: I don’t have to look at my monitor anymore. It is seamless. Also: the new addons to the shaper section I find very usefull: the spatial panner really helps in adding 3d to your music and the dual band compressor is great in shaping the sound, from very subtle to dramatic.

Also very quick: broad eq in slot 1 and then taming some frequencies with the eq from the Weiss channel in slot 2. Adding two extra bands with shift… al fast and easy.

I really couldn’t be happier. I hardly use the mouse when mixing, though it is still crucial for setting up my template, and for editing. Still, if you don’t like C1 workflow in general, or you find Softube lacks the tools you need for your music, your experience probably will differ from mine. It is still Console 1, it is still restricted to Softube and UAD, just with better hardware and an even more handson, console-like experience. But even the restriction to Softube plugins alone is less of a problem with the mk3, for me. I have my liquidsonic reverbs, Kush Audio and Soundtoys plugs on FX tracks and can control them very easily with the dedicated send knobs on the unit. 3 sends direct, and another three using shift.

Did I mention I LOVE this thing?
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, @StillLife and @ALittleNightMusic , all very helpful.

-B

Ordered one today! Should be here tomorrow. Couldn't decided between this or the SSL UC1... Think the right choice was made, can't wait.

Congratulations! A fantastic device.
Cheers. Now you've been using one for a while, any little things in particular that bother you with it?

EDIT: It's arrived!

public.jpeg

Still getting used to the features, but so far so good! Build quality is excellent, knobs feel solid and very responsive. Love there's a Vega mode + it has PONG!! Breaktimes just got a lot more exciting lol.

Last edited:
I upgraded to the MK3 recently too. It’s stellar. Really great improvements that make the workflow even more phenomenal. Have it paired with a FaderPort v2 - gives me everything I need.
Cheers. Now you've been using one for a while, any little things in particular that bother you with it?

EDIT: It's arrived!

public.jpeg

Still getting used to the features, but so far so good! Build quality is excellent, knobs feel solid and very responsive. Love there's a Vega mode + it has PONG!! Breaktimes just got a lot more exciting lol.
Sorry, I can't think of anything that bothers me with it... I am a fanboy.

The only little tiny weeny thing that has bothered me, is the FabFilter integration. Some of the features are not mapped. Like being able to use the dynamic EQ for ProQ3, and the ProC SC filter... Hopefully, they'll add these in - along with some more 3rd party plugins (not just UAD and FF) that would make this thing 200% awesome.

With FabFilter and UAD/UADx support now, plus the existing Softube plugins and channel strips, I've started just using what Console 1 supports in my projects for mixing. Plugin GAS is real but then also introduces choice paralysis IMO. With Console 1, I can get fantastic results just using what I can control with it for 99% of my needs. Would like a dynamic EQ, but we managed to survive without it for a long time and still get great mixes.

Top Bottom