What's new

Slave Pro Tools to Logic via MMC

Dom

Logic and Pro Tools run on the same Mac.

I managed to get Pro Tools to slave to Logic with MTC, using the IAC bus to carry the MTC. Works fine, but as far as I understand, MMC would get PT to following any scrolling, nudging or jumping around on the Logic timeline?

According to some posts, the IAC bus filters out MMC when sent from Logic, so the alternative is to use either a hardware midi in/out, Apple Network Midi (apparently need reconnecting on each start though), or a freeware called MidiPipe.

Tried MidiPipe. PT just doesn't seem to want to respond to any MMC. Anyone got this to work? Or are you syncing with MTC only?

Logic 10.4.3, ProTools HD 12.4, Mac OS 10.2.6

I have the same setup and I can confirm that I got MidiPipe to send both MTC and MMC at one point. I’m currently using physical cable with a Roland UM-one mk2 since it felt a little more reliable.

Some Pro Tools versions have been a bit unreliable at slaving to MTC/MMC for me, especially to 23.976 frame rate, so it might be good to try a different version just in case. 2018.12 is working well here right now.

Reactions: Dom
Thanks so much, Astream. Finally managed to update to the latest Pro Tools Ultimate.

PT just doesn't want to see MidiPipe as an input, only as an output. Using straight 25fps here. So tried the physical cable route, and as you say, it works. Feels a tad anachronistic though. I may dig out my copy of MidiOverLan, which I used last 8 years ago, but which always worked flawlessly.

MMC is working as expected, except Pro Tools not locating when regions are being dragged in Logic, despite the option being ticked in Logic "Transmit locate commands when dragging regions or events". Is that working at your end?

Top Bottom