What's new

Sketching Epic Emotional Music with Oeksound BLOOM/Spiff/Soothe2 - [Live Composition Stream]

Welcome Back, nice vid! Quick question-I am planning to upgrade my system from my existing setup of Mac Mini 2018 6 core intel i5 with 64 gigs RAM, which let's just say cannot even play a 40 track orchestral piece, I know you recently upgraded to 14" Macbook Pro M2 96gbs RAM, do you mind me asking how many cores does it have and how is the performance maybe in your biggest orchestral template, has cubase crashed on it, why Mac Pro over let's say Mac Studio-portability? Thanks!

Welcome Back, nice vid! Quick question-I am planning to upgrade my system from my existing setup of Mac Mini 2018 6 core intel i5 with 64 gigs RAM, which let's just say cannot even play a 40 track orchestral piece, I know you recently upgraded to 14" Macbook Pro M2 96gbs RAM, do you mind me asking how many cores does it have and how is the performance maybe in your biggest orchestral template, has cubase crashed on it, why Mac Pro over let's say Mac Studio-portability? Thanks!
Its an M2 MAX which I think is the 12 core version? Its the model that allows up to 96gbs ram.

So far in terms of crashes its hard for me to compare directly as lots of software has been updated since I upgraded but in general I feel like its crashing considerably less than before and project sizes are already larger than ones that used to kill my old machine before really even breaking a sweat.

I will try to keep an eye on general performance more often. I noticed when I was watching videos researching which machine to buy, people would always do the most bizarre tests like running hundreds of instances of a synth to show how powerful it is. Which I think is a poor example, some synths are heavy as fuck on some patches (particularly ones that uses granular) some are fine until you hit certain voice limits. The videos never seem to focus on performance in actual work where the machine is trying to playback audio files, midi, fx etc. I have had projects with 20 tracks kill the machine but I've also had 200 tracks in a different session without any major problems. Its really depends on what you are doing and how.

I chose the Macbook version primarily because at the time there was some shit going on in my life that required me to be moving around a lot. And while the Mac Studio is amazing as a studio machine, I must say I am actually glad I was forced into the laptop route because not only is the performance already drastically superior to my trashcan mac, It also has the built in screen, keyboard and mouse. Meaning the only extras I need, to be able to work, are headphones and my samples. I can write just fine using the qwerty keyboard for midi input if I REALLY have to for times when a midi keyboard is even too much. I have made it work for me and to be honest it doesn't take much to adapt to it.

Finally having the laptop version is great for when I get back to my studio as it allows me in my current set up to spread to 5 displays, which to me and my chaos loving brain fills my whole vision with stuff I need, only saves small seconds here and there to have stuff always on screen, but those add up over a day!

-DJ

Isn't it up to the listener to say whether it's emotional and epic? :)

Some "emotional epic" music is just boring and loud.

Isn't it up to the listener to say whether it's emotional and epic? :)

Some "emotional epic" music is just boring and loud.
No. I wrote it and thats what it is to me. You can disagree, but I get to label my intentions however I want 😂

Any genre can be boring and loud, I guess it just depends on the listener and if they have a propensity to whinge about it.

Whatever it is you are into mate I assure you there is plenty of it out there somewhere ready to be found. Perhaps better to go there and tell them how awesome you find their work, instead of finding work you find boring and trying to make the composer feel bad.

Have a good one.

-DJ

Only 3:26:44? Now that's what I'd call a DJ quicky. :grin:

Welcome back.

Oek oek oek :rofl: It is precisely how I called the seals on my beach, oek oek oek, and before you knew it, curious heads popped up.

Always love a good Daniel James livestream, glad to have you back on camera showing us all how it’s done!!

@Daniel James was watching through this stream and noticed you had a patch for horns + trombones from albion legacy but when I look at the patch list on spitfire audio I don't see that patch? Is this a custom patch and if so, do you have some tips on how one might go about making it?

@Daniel James was watching through this stream and noticed you had a patch for horns + trombones from albion legacy but when I look at the patch list on spitfire audio I don't see that patch? Is this a custom patch and if so, do you have some tips on how one might go about making it?
It's a "patch" which is in Albion legacy, the original and there are others which are not in this form in certain updates.....

As The Gost mentioned, this was a content update to the original Albion 1 (not ONE). The horns+bones patch is one of my favourite in sampling, I did a custom EQ insert on that and saved it as a separate patch (labelled with EQ in the name, in my file structure)

I still have no idea why they messed with Albion 1 as much as they did, it was genuinely a great product!

-DJ

As The Gost mentioned, this was a content update to the original Albion 1 (not ONE). The horns+bones patch is one of my favourite in sampling, I did a custom EQ insert on that and saved it as a separate patch (labelled with EQ in the name, in my file structure)

I still have no idea why they messed with Albion 1 as much as they did, it was genuinely a great product!

-DJ
Damn it's lost to sample library history. Yeah when you played it all I thought was "That is the exact brass chordal support patch I need for all of my writing!". It sounds amazing and the whole principle of Albion is that they were actually recorded together so you don't get the same result from stacking separate horn and brass patches from SSO for example. Maybe this was replaced by the mid brass patch?

Alright we need a legacy patch release for Albion legacy now 🤣.

Top Bottom