What's new

Show me your desk

Since I neither have the money for nor would I prioritize expensive furniture, I gave up on trying to get my keyboards directly inline with the computer mouse/keyboard/monitors, but instead got a used 25 key Novation MKII, so I can do basic MIDI note editing and such without swiveling to the side:

daw101118.JPG

Sound Construction is expensive but worth it. Desks are so good and arrive almost entirely assembled. Highly recommended.
You said it. It'll fit with a shoehorn in my house, but... one day... the desire is stronger for this slab of maple and metal more than another string library. Srsly. For now, the creaky Ikea desk works. Who knows, maybe Ill rock it back and forth and hear a catchy melody in the squeek...

Since I neither have the money for nor would I prioritize expensive furniture, I gave up on trying to get my keyboards directly inline with the computer mouse/keyboard/monitors, but instead got a used 25 key Novation MKII, so I can do basic MIDI note editing and such without swiveling to the side:

daw101118.JPG
We use that stand you have there for our Roland RD800 at church, solid as Gibralter. :2thumbs:

57412048532__AEA5E298-6A9F-499A-9AE9-9DAC82E1D4FB.jpg
I finally picked up an 88-key controller (M-Audio Hammer 88) which I had to remove from the enclosure so that it would fit on a stand under my $45 LINNMON / ADILS desk from IKEA. I also had to jack the table up on some weird bricks that I found around the property (this being the one and only time I was happy my landlord never cleans up after himself) so that the desk would clear the keyboard.

It's pretty janky, but it was cheap and has charm and I'm hoping it will do until I set up more of a proper studio somewhere else. The Neutron is a new addition too — I love having something analog right there at my fingertips. I'm not much of a pianist but I'm pleased with the M-Audio keyboard, it's a huge improvement over the tiny 24 key controller I was using before. Now that I have 88 weighted keys I've started relearning some of the Josh Groban songs I used to play in high school, so that's fun!

IMG_3528.jpeg IMG_3529.jpeg
I'm planning on removing the Maudio hammer from it's enclosure as you've done.. Any tips? Or there any tutorials/videos I can check out?

I'm planning on removing the Maudio hammer from it's enclosure as you've done.. Any tips? Or there any tutorials/videos I can check out?
I didn't find any tutorials, I just went for it. Undo screws etc. and go slow. The only issue I had at one point was having to unplug some wiring that connected to the pitch bend/volume knob. The keyboard didn't play the correct notes until I reconnected those wires, so if you disconnect any wiring be sure you make note of how to put it back together.

daw101118.JPG
Yeah, I'm starting to come to that conclusion too. Having the 88 in front is nice but for me, the ergonomic trade-offs are becoming considerable, especially since I rarely play in "piano beast mode" when doing day to day production.

Yeah, I'm starting to come to that conclusion too. Having the 88 in front is nice but for me, the ergonomic trade-offs are becoming considerable, especially since I rarely play in "piano beast mode" when doing day to day production.
Yeah, editing midi notes, adjusting eq curves or whatever isn't at all the same as playing the piano. And I like having a traditional sheet music stand above the 88 anyway, so I've concluded that by having the tiny 25 key controller in front you get the best of both worlds.

Finally have my 3 monitor setup. This isn't showing a rack that's on the left of the desk but it's a overview of the setup. It's split into LIVE/STUDIO so that I can live stream/go out with a rig, but also use it in the studio. Yes I use an iMac for my live machine and the MacBook Pro takes care of streaming and AVB recording when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 320
Finally have my 3 monitor setup. This isn't showing a rack that's on the left of the desk but it's a overview of the setup. It's split into LIVE/STUDIO so that I can live stream/go out with a rig, but also use it in the studio. Yes I use an iMac for my live machine and the MacBook Pro takes care of streaming and AVB recording when needed.

@IFM i think you missed a keyboard out:thumbsup::cool: ....... nice set up, also digging the ball mouse, i went for that a little while back and i am loving it.

I just drew a design for a desk that I think would finally meet all my desk needs perfectly. Might actually try to build it now. My Ikea hybrid leaves me zero space to write on paper. :sad:

@IFM i think you missed a keyboard out:thumbsup::cool: ....... nice set up, also digging the ball mouse, i went for that a little while back and i am loving it.
I actually prefer the Magic Mouse because it combines a touchpad and mouse all in one. The blade trackball is nice but the way it scrolls is irritating. However I like it in other situations.

There are quite a few inventions to navigate through the cumputer, i don't think I could ever go back to the humble mouse with all that twist and shuffle.

Ancient pic of my room from 13 years ago?!?

The desk is just two ikea office tops with two ikea kitchen cabinets underneath as a base.
Got it all from the "as is" room for like $200.

Ikea currently sells a cooler version of these tops.
Point being - an ergonomic work space can be hacked together cheap.

Ed Studio 83rd Street 1.jpg

Top Bottom