What's new

Should I get the Cinematic Studio Brass and Strings?

Ok Its Late But here is a demo of the Cinematic Strings and Brass. Its RAW, No nothing just ran thru my signal patch (Neve, Summit Audio, Avalon Tubes. NO EQ, NO Compression Naked on stage with Purple polyester suit in its glory!.

Remember please don't criticize the composing. Its a demo for this Fine young Lad interested in buying their products. Its composed to show highlights, and flaws. Its kinda fun writing something so short with all the articulations. My computer choked a few times ! HA k-switch alley was full!

Hope this helps. I really love their products. Strings I tried to get a color of type of music it loves to be in. AGAIN guys, this is not a composing master piece. Just a quick demo done in 2 hrs as I hade to get all the CC1 data in and switches to work without hanging chads!.... I am pissed the Mac Alert Bell is in mid strings. My wife sent me a text and "DING" Ha

Enjoy I hope this helps.

If there is a way to assign pitch bend to CSS Please teach me how. It would be fun to bend Marcatto Strings like players would do on twisted boom Chick stuff. Like "Psycho" style string bends. The Pitch wheel has no effect.
This is an awesome showcase of the CSS strings and brass. Love the music too. Very well done. Thank you so much for this, it cemented my initial thoughts of the library showcasing a less wet version of orchestral instrument sampling. Something I could probably have in my arsenal amongst 'wetter' sounding samples. Best of both worlds I guess?

Thanks GoofyTroop!

P.S Just a question from 1:05 on the first version, is that a string run or string legato patch?

Legato.
Its all dry! Library loves going though neve preamps, summit audio tube anything with old class A. It comes to life! Even a Avalon tube eq. It makes the brass pop! I ran it through my signal path, neve pre amp, vintech 273, summit audio tube eq (not engaged just tube path) and a avalon tube stereo eq ( not engaged)

Only one is needed. Then your set.

My pleasure doing it. Really fun doing a demo with every articulation, and keep it interesting. The strings handled closed voicing of 5 voice chords in a fast fashion while having melody in 1st and second violins. I was so impressed. Thats Alex North, Alfred Newman style of 40’s and 50’s.
Its so fun. Boom chicks was ensemble patch times two. One on pizz playing while other on stacatto.
While doing the runs and trills in 2nd violins, with violas doing trem walking 8th notes. It handled it with ease.

Really fun. Thanks
You cant go wrong with library. It will become part of your template.

Remember, pizz articulation has 4 others using mod wheel. Most complain about library but then figure when pizz is selected, mod wheel must be at zero! If up you get col lengo, bartok etc. so just remember that.

Kind Regards
B

Legato.
Its all dry! Library loves going though neve preamps, summit audio tube anything with old class A. It comes to life! Even a Avalon tube eq. It makes the brass pop! I ran it through my signal path, neve pre amp, vintech 273, summit audio tube eq (not engaged just tube path) and a avalon tube stereo eq ( not engaged)

My pleasure doing it. Really fun doing a demo with every articulation, and keep it interesting. The strings handled closed voicing of 5 voice chords in a fast fashion while having melody in 1st and second violins. I was so impressed. Thats Alex North, Alfred Newman style of 40’s and 50’s.
Its so fun. Boom chicks was ensemble patch times two. One on pizz playing while other on stacatto.
While doing the runs and trills in 2nd violins, with violas doing trem walking 8th notes. It handled it with ease.

Really fun. Thanks

Remember, pizz articulation has 4 others using mod wheel. Most complain about library but then figure when pizz is selected, mod wheel must be at zero! If up you get col lengo, bartok etc. so just remember that.

Kind Regards
B
Since you're a pro that need to work quickly (you mentioned this before, maybe in another thread) I'm curious how you find working with legato delays? Do you use them all and nudge notes (or do you use one of those CSS scripts?) or do you keep to just one speed?

Legato.

Really fun. Thanks

Kind Regards
B
By 'not engaged', what do you mean? I'm guessing its just the eq that isn't 'set' and you're just using the tubes for warmth? if you have an eq set, love to know what you did!

Also how about the compressor? Is it in your signal path for mock ups and what settings would you recommend?

I play them in live your brain will adjust and compensate. You will play ahead of beat. Or quantize them all and shift back a 16th note or until it sounds correct. Problem in a real gig your orchestrator will have trouble taking your cues from seq as its all off up to a 1/8th note. So you have to let them know. I put leg on notes in track at what measures.

The fastest best way is to play leg lines in. It will take a few takes but it will be perfect. Then look at offset in daw seq in piano roll. It will be like 1/16th or 1/16th triplet. Then adjust other leg lines. You can slow tempo down if playing is difficult.

If not a keyboard player, then-step record in, then move ahead of beat 1/16th triplet to start that gets it most times. If you play guitar get a midi converter and play it into daw. If a woodwind player, or trumpet then
Use EVI or EWI. What ever you play, there is tech to get it in DAW.

if your a paper pencil composer then you will perfect sight reading and perfect your playing skills fast!

By 'not engaged', what do you mean? I'm guessing its just the eq that isn't 'set' and you're just using the tubes for warmth? if you have an eq set, love to know what you did!

Also how about the compressor? Is it in your signal path for mock ups and what settings would you recommend?
Its turned off, so signal bypasses eq sec and just passes through tubes or transformers. Its that smooth analog that takes edges of brittle samples. Like rounding the corners and adding sweetness. Adds nice color to signal.
Its your studio class A “signal path” on mains that give you that pro warm studio sound.

Its turned off, so signal bypasses eq sec and just passes through tubes or transformers. Its that smooth analog that takes edges of brittle samples. Like rounding the corners and adding sweetness. Adds nice color to signal.
Its your studio class A “signal path” on mains that give you that pro warm studio sound.
Nice. Are there any budget friendly options besides the Neve's and Avalons?

Hey guys,

I've been observing some very well known film composers using Cinematic Studio Brass and Strings in their arsenal. Coming from someone who has been using Spitfire, Eastwest, Cinesamples and Orchestral Tools, would it be worth it to having Cinematic Studio Strings and Brass? To me, their samples may cut through the mix more, especially strings. Do you guys feel the same or have another opinion? Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
VSL . They are quite simply the best

best

ed

Nice. Are there any budget friendly options besides the Neve's and Avalons?
Look on ebay. If you wait and look you will find someone selling a Neve portico 5012. Dual channel pre amp. “Class A “is the key o have seen them for $949 go fast!. See Class A means its professional and exceptional quality in recording industry.

Or vintech 273 EQ preamp. Those are great! I have one in my chain. Just remember it needs to come with power supply.

Compression :
I use Neve Portico 5043 dual channel compressor. I also use Neve Portico Master Buss Processor II and or Avalon VT-747S

I also have pultec EQA’s but use them for bad sounding stems on separate buss.

I have a Warm Audio WA 273 EQ
Its great! But a little more noisy then others. 100% usable on buss. Just push Tone button in on both channels and it makes anything sound great. I dont use EQ much.

My verry favorite is my Summit Audio
EQP-200B. Its the bomb! Get some good tubes if yours hisses. But wow! on your main mix buss your home free. If i had to choose for one tube presmp it would be that! Not cheap but found a second one on enay tor $992 and did buy it now. Put two new tubes in, sprayed electronic cleaner on pots and switches and cleaned. Sounds perfect. I use it in my other studio in granny flat.

That should help. Finding a class A pre amo or better yet a class A tube one is not easy on a budget. BUT checking ebay and reverb everyday will get you results! Make sure you get power supply's and cords.

VSL . They are quite simply the best

best

ed
VSL VI edition is the very best. I own there library. But most cant afford it.
I have not made my decision on if i like synchron better. Synchron seems to be not as warm. But it is modern.

I use it for solo stuff, appassionatta strings! Chamber strings. I bought Elite last month. Its great two. I use the bass flute in everything. Clarinet is only one i know of that does not flange (chorus) on one or two notes.
Bass Cl and contra bassoon, bassoon, english horn, oboe diamore all best made. I use flutes where flutes are needed. Brass is great. I mix dimension brass with VI edition brass.

Last edited:
Look on ebay. If you wait and look you will find someone selling a Neve portico 5012. Dual channel pre amp. “Class A “is the key o have seen them for $949 go fast!. See Class A means its professional and exceptional quality in recording industry.

Or vintech 273 EQ preamp. Those are great! I have one in my chain. Just remember it needs to come with power supply.

Compression :
I use Neve Portico 5043 dual channel compressor. I also use Neve Portico Master Buss Processor II and or Avalon VT-747S

I also have pultec EQA’s but use them for bad sounding stems on separate buss.

I have a Warm Audio WA 273 EQ
Its great! But a little more noisy then others. 100% usable on buss. Just push Tone button in on both channels and it makes anything sound great. I dont use EQ much.

My verry favorite is my Summit Audio
EQP-200B. Its the bomb! Get some good tubes if yours hisses. But wow! on your main mix buss your home free. If i had to choose for one tube presmp it would be that! Not cheap but found a second one on enay tor $992 and did buy it now. Put two new tubes in, sprayed electronic cleaner on pots and switches and cleaned. Sounds perfect. I use it in my other studio in granny flat.

That should help. Finding a class A pre amo or better yet a class A tube one is not easy on a budget. BUT checking ebay and reverb everyday will get you results! Make sure you get power supply's and cords.
awesome! what do you think of this as an option?

Its only a single channel, you would need two! I am not a fan of 500 series only because it needs more money for the box they plug into to work. No longer made, this.. is what you want mate. Its “dual channel” stereo, and has “Silk” blue and a classic neve “High pass” filter. They come with a little power supply. No worry’s if missing. Call neve they will find and sell you one.,

Here is a hard to fine little plate that allows you to put in standard 19” rack. That way your set!

I have seen them go for $937 US dollars with free shipping. Just keep looking. They go fast. Studios buy them quick.

Its exciting to hunt one down. Goto look! Wait, then make your move.

In worst case neve will repair a broken one for around $250 USA dollars. Great company.

I am a bargain hunter, found a dead one not working for $386 USA dollars.
Sent to Neve got it fixed for $253.

But its much easier to buy a working one with power supply.

Download manual here..

Key is “dual channel” meaning L/R or Stereo. The portico Dual channel portico 5043 is a great too but its a dual channel compressor. You can run signal thru it without compressor to warm it up!

Let know if any questions. The Neve Portico 5012 on on main buss or signal path will really get you going in Class A pro console sound. Guitars, vocals tracked through them to DAW sounds great! Running all your mixes sound great with silk, and rolling off bad muddy bottom end with High-pass filter. Is a nice mastering feature.

Kind Regards
Goof

Its only a single channel, you would need two! I am not a fan of 500 series only because it needs more money for the box they plug into to work. No longer made, this.. is what you want mate. Its “dual channel” stereo, and has “Silk” blue and a classic neve “High pass” filter. They come with a little power supply. No worry’s if missing. Call neve they will find and sell you one.,

Here is a hard to fine little plate that allows you to put in standard 19” rack. That way your set!

I have seen them go for $937 US dollars with free shipping. Just keep looking. They go fast. Studios buy them quick.

In worst case neve will repair a broken one for around $250 USA dollars. Great company.

Download manual here..

Key is “dual channel” meaning L/R or Stereo. The portico Dual channel portico 5043 is a great too but its a dual channel compressor. You can run signal thru it without compressor to warm it up!

Let know if any questions. The Neve Portico 5012 on on main buss or signal path will really get you going in Class A pro console sound. Guitars, vocals tracked through them to DAW sounds great! Running all your mixes sound great with silk, and rolling off bad muddy bottom end with High-pass filter. Is a nice mastering feature.

Kind Regards
Goof
This is great info as I am still learning CSS and am now learning to improve the sound of this library.
For those not having the hardware, any plug ins worth mentioning that can do something similar for CSS (although not even a comparison I know) What do you like on your Master bus from plug in or do you strictly use hardware?

UAD makes great plugins. Pultec, vintage tube plugins.

Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven pro reverb warms things up a bit.

Waves has some.
Abby Road TG mastering is ok.

Plugins dont really compare to real Class A analog. They simulate it, but not even close.

On you tube there are allot of videos comparing. Sound wise its 100% obvious. Thats why its a multi billion dollar industry in plugins mimicking real analog gear. Because real analog vintage gear sounds so smooth and sweet and musical and infinite.

Transformers, tubes are not perfect, vary slightly in voltage, shielding, and create a moving variance that creates overtones, nice slight distortion. And sound is not converted to digital.
Sony was one of the first to make a commercial PCM machine in 1977 as i remember.

Plugins are really close, but not in the same league. Now with a multi billion dollar plugin industry, marketing will tell you otherwise.

Thats why pro studios have tons of real analog vintage signal processors in there studios. We go to record records or albums at major studios because the Class A analog consoles, outboard gear. Cant do that with a plugin. You can use plugins after analog gear to enhance. Or fix. But not needed. I love plugins. And own tons of them.

Why do pultec’s sound so wonderful and warm? Running a mix buss through Class A analog is night and day. The resolution is not there in digital. Its finite. Where analog is a moving variable target and infinite.
ADC converts sound into a fixed amount of micro samples lets call it.
Then plugins mess with the micro-samples change them for the effect in the Z-plane. Its finite.

I grew up in the 60’s and s70’s. Go pick up a old Led Zeplan album, or Cat stevens, Journey, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, etc. listen how beautiful, sweet and warm. Its all analog! Untouchable with digital. Getting better as tech is and sample resolution. But not even close.

Better yet watch a old color movie made in 60’s and Seventy's. Colors are so smooth warm and real. Like Lawerence of Arabia, or Bambi, original Jungle book. All done by technicolor. And analog.

Society has trained us to think 4k resolution is so great! Compared to what? The analog resolution of old days that was not finite and beautiful.

For the price of a plugin, troll ebay, reverb, great deals to be had on real Class A Analog vintage gear. It will wake your sense's up when you put your tracks through it. Our minds need to be retrained to have a higher reference point for beauty, and infinite resolution do we can expect that in digital that cant deliver it.

Once you go Class A analog… you never go back!

Kind Regards
Goof

Thats why pro studios have tons of real analog vintage signal processors in there studios. We go to record records or albums at major studios because the Class A analog consoles, outboard gear. Cant do that with a plugin. You can use plugins after analog gear to enhance. Or fix. But not needed. I love plugins. And own tons of them.
That's not entirely true. Hardware is typically reserved for tracking these days because nothing will beat the instant recall of plugins, the ability to have an unlimited number of instances of a model of a specific piece of gear ("perfect" recreation or not), etc. Analog is great, but it also has some bottlenecks inherent to it being a piece of physical hardware that you only have so many rack spaces for...

Download manual here..

Kind Regards
Goof
What kind of inputs would I need in my main audio interface to hook up these hardwares to run my mock mixes through? Would it be good to have both an EQ preamp and seperate compressor (both with tubes or so) in my chain?

That's not entirely true. Hardware is typically reserved for tracking these days because nothing will beat the instant recall of plugins, the ability to have an unlimited number of instances of a model of a specific piece of gear ("perfect" recreation or not), etc. Analog is great, but it also has some bottlenecks inherent to it being a piece of physical hardware that you only have so many rack spaces for...
Then why are all the plugins trying to Imamate the old analog gear!
guess they cant bring a good sound to the table without trying to copy analog gear. Its mathmaticly impossible. Plugins work in the Z-plane. Analog X, Y.
Z-planes below the line in what's called digital plane. Digital is micro samples. And only a limited capture of the sound. Its micro bits assigned to freq’s. While in Z-Plane plugins manipulate the bits and rearrange them using programming rules.
Its a impossibility to replicate analog with current technology. Just simulate a single capture. BUT technology is advancing so fast. Next year at AES expect some big advances.

This debate has gone on for years.
I here you!
Yes after tracking on analog gear, then tweaking on plugins is great. Its great with plugins. only plugins.

BUT if you want that beautiful sweet 70's sound you need pure analog signal path. Impossible with digital plugins. It not a belief or my opinion its math, science proven.

Its a debate that there are no winners just upset feelings. Most Younger people have not heard, or even understood, let alone seen older electronics.

When we score TV and Films we don't go to bargain Joe’s plugin studio with 2 Macs, we go to Buena Vista, Warner, Capital records. East West, Westlake Audio, Castle Oaks etc. . With analog mics and analog outboard gear and Class A console. They want reverb they use outboard gear. Guess post might use plugins and surround. Thats a fact.

But you are right. I agree in half of it. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. So welcome. We all learn and pursue our passions.

People on limited budgets have no choice but to use plugins. They cant afford SPL's, Manely Passives, Pultec's. Pultecs are going for $7k a channel for originals I saw on reverb.

Digital is great then ask why is vintage analog gear so expensive?
Why is analog gear so hard to find? and why does every one of the multi billion dollar plugin industry try to copy old vintage gear? Why do every major recording studio use use analog gear instead of plugins and these studio's sound better then any studio with just plugins.

Great questions. In the future vintage gear will fade away, and Sampling resolution will advance to a low norm of 384 instead of 41. with 768 being at pro level. This better resolution will compete and crush old analog gear with AI simulating the imperfections that variates on analog gear. No Doubt!

But for now, if I go to scoring stage I will see vintage analog gear Wall high racks and desks of old tube, class A analog gear in signal paths with analog mic's. And TTL or digital patch bays. With a pilot at the helm. (Engineer)

Why? comfort? the product is better? Both I would assume. Its worthy of discussion.

MIT media lab put the argument to bed on digital sounding same.

Last edited:
UAD makes great plugins. Pultec, vintage tube plugins.

Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven pro reverb warms things up a bit.

Waves has some.
Abby Road TG mastering is ok.

Plugins dont really compare to real Class A analog. They simulate it, but not even close.

On you tube there are allot of videos comparing. Sound wise its 100% obvious. Thats why its a multi billion dollar industry in plugins mimicking real analog gear. Because real analog vintage gear sounds so smooth and sweet and musical and infinite.

Transformers, tubes are not perfect, vary slightly in voltage, shielding, and create a moving variance that creates overtones, nice slight distortion. And sound is not converted to digital.
Sony was one of the first to make a commercial PCM machine in 1977 as i remember.

Plugins are really close, but not in the same league. Now with a multi billion dollar plugin industry, marketing will tell you otherwise.

Why do pultec’s sound so wonderful and warm? Running a mix buss through Class A analog is night and day. The resolution is not there in digital. Its finite. Where analog is a moving variable target and infinite.
ADC converts sound into a fixed amount of micro samples lets call it.
Then plugins mess with the micro-samples change them for the effect in the Z-plane. Its finite.

I grew up in the 60’s and s70’s. Go pick up a old Led Zeplan album, or Cat stevens, Journey, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, etc. listen how beautiful, sweet and warm. Its all analog! Untouchable with digital. Getting better as tech is and sample resolution. But not even close.

Better yet watch a old color movie made in 60’s and Seventy's. Colors are so smooth warm and real. Like Lawerence of Arabia, or Bambi, original Jungle book. All done by technicolor. And analog.

Society has trained us to think 4k resolution is so great! Compared to what? The analog resolution of old days that was not finite and beautiful.

For the price of a plugin, troll ebay, reverb, great deals to be had on real Class A Analog vintage gear. It will wake your sense's up when you put your tracks through it. Our minds need to be retrained to have a higher reference point for beauty, and infinite resolution do we can expect that in digital that cant deliver it.

Once you go Class A analog… you never go back!

Kind Regards
Goof
This is great stuff. I'm going to create another thread with more of a focus on this hybrid mixing set up.

With a tight budget, with good plugins, and a few class A analog boxes you can get that great sound at home thanks to companies like Manley, Neve, bettermaker, SPL, Summit Audio, Tube Tech, Pultec, Avalon, etc. 100% analog signal path Class A will make your vst library's come to life.

Just throw them in a chain on master buss. Tweak to sweat spot, just need a bunch of XLR cords, a good DAW interface and a 6 space 19” rack. Your set. Bruce Sweden used to carry around his own rosewood boxes with neve eq’s compressor in them.( called lunch boxes) Its small and portable! To get brass to pop and really sound sweet i use a neve portico 5043 dual channel compressor that is feed out of Neve portico 5012 dual channel preamp. When i bypass with DAW interface its night and day. Throw some “silk” on and its creamy nice brass with no EQ because CSS and CSB was sampled eq’d perfect.

Music is fun, analog gear is fun. Analog gear is like baseball cards. The longer you own it it doubles in price. A great investment!

Weather a hobbyist or professional get your analog signal path correct to really enjoy your gear and music. I say get some class A tube gear!

I run my apple tv through my signal path. Its amazing how good it sounds. ( i have a 75” samsung TV above console. )

I sure hope they add Cinematic Procession next. What a powerhouse set! CSS, CSB, CSW, and CSP! How fun.

Top Bottom