What's new

Sharing samples between PC and Mac

Ivan M.

Hi,

A bit of help please, I want to share samples I have on a pc with a mac.

The usual approach of using the PC as a slave is not an option, because I do not want to buy additional licenses (master/slave config requires both computers using plugins at the same time).

One idea is to take out drives from the pc and put them into a dock, that way I can plug them in where I want (pc/mac). Downside is it would have to be the usb3 interface, and would negate any speed I have with the nvme/m.2 drive. But if usb3 proves performant enough I wouldn't mind.

Another idea is to create a network share of the samples directory, mount it on the mac and point plugins on the mac to that directory. Not sure about latency here.

Any suggestions? Anyone already doing this? Thanks!

You might also consider getting a cheap NAS drive and creating a folder where you can share samples between the two machines.

Yeah... not gonna work so easily... I've picked one kontakt library, and the loading time over network is 15s, from a usb drive (mechanical 5200rpm) 5s, while on the PC (from a nvme m.2 drive) almost immediately <1s. Though, once loaded, I was able to play without dropouts, the waiting time is unacceptable.

So guess I could get a dock with an ssd for the mac, and copy all the libraries, that would probably give acceptable performance.

Yeah... not gonna work so easily... I've picked one kontakt library, and the loading time over network is 15s, from a usb drive (mechanical 5200rpm) 5s, while on the PC (from a nvme m.2 drive) almost immediately <1s. Though, once loaded, I was able to play without dropouts, the waiting time is unacceptable.

So guess I could get a dock with an ssd for the mac, and copy all the libraries, that would probably give acceptable performance.
But how does it scale? If you load 10 libraries for example is it 10 times as long or is it still only 15s? Are you using WiFi or Cable?

But how does it scale? If you load 10 libraries for example is it 10 times as long or is it still only 15s? Are you using WiFi or Cable?

I believe the loading time is cumulative, didn't test it. Used cable, wifi turned off. It takes 15s to cache 100MB over LAN, strange...

I believe the loading time is cumulative, didn't test it. Used cable, wifi turned off. It takes 15s to cache 100MB over LAN, strange...
I think an isolated test like that won't give you a real world figure. Try loading a decent size template and see how long that takes.

Not only can you move between multiple machines, It doubles as a backup and can be accessed remotely which has proven to be quite handy for me.
You can do that with a computer + network share too. I'm in the process of setting up an old computer with open media vault to use as a remote backup/storage system. Seems like a NAS is a computer by another name with a more limited range of capabilities.

If anyone's interested, I've simply bought an external SSD, copied the libraries and it works fine.

Top Bottom