What's new

SF Studio Brass update yet?

I totally forgot about Orange Tree Samples KS Router, which allows for one to use key switches to effectively combine multiple MIDI channels onto one track and thus access all articulations.

The product was released in 2012, and I haven't tried it in a long time, so don't know if it still works in more recent versions of Kontakt.

Last edited:
KS Router is still available HERE. I think it makes sense to get it from the source. I'm not sure if Greg allows folks to share it.

To the original question - I have the core version of Spitfire Studio Brass, and I think it adds quite a bit to my capabilities. I also use Cinesamples CineBrass (core and pro) and Chris Hein Orchestral Brass and Horns Pro. And that provides me with a pretty wide array of sounds and articulations.

Now it is not yet possible to use a 'Doit' from one library with the legato from another - may never happen - but I am happy with the results of layering and switching between different libraries.

The big dirty secret - none of them are perfect, and none of them fill all roles. Thus far I've run into very few problems with Spitfire Studio Brass, and none are deal breakers for me. I also like the way they work with the Studio Strings and Winds from the same series.

I expect that one day I will feel the need to upgrade to the pro versions, but not yet.

Thanks for posting that -- I had searched the site quite deeply for stuff I have that I thought might have been free, and none showed up in email purchase receipts, but I generally don't look at blogs or think of going there to search for actual product links. :)

I also like the way they work with the Studio Strings and Winds from the same series
I think that’s the better secret with the studio series. They will work well with themselves. I just need the brass to complete it.

Damn...this is disappointing, as I have their other two studio series...But I don't think I need it THAT bad, that I have to deal with issues..although other libraries also have issue...so...LOL
Just get the library, fulfil the collector urges in you. You might as well, you have the other Studio Series ones.. 😏

Jokes aside, it’s a quirky library and not the strongest of the collection. There’s lots of usable stuff though and you quickly work out where the library works best whilst avoiding the bumps.

I like the studio collection. It’s the rebel of the Spitfire lineup, sticking two fingers up at the “hall” libraries. It really does need some extra ‘verb added though.

Just get the library, fulfil the collector urges in you. You might as well, you have the other Studio Series ones.. 😏

Jokes aside, it’s a quirky library and not the strongest of the collection. There’s lots of usable stuff though and you quickly work out where the library works best whilst avoiding the bumps.

I like the studio collection. It’s the rebel of the Spitfire lineup, sticking two fingers up at the “hall” libraries. It really does need some extra ‘verb added though.
I’m probably going to get the pro as this will complete the libraries, and I use Spaces II, so my reverb needs are covered. I make full use of those extra Mics to create my custom mix. I’m just debating the new BBC library. Not 100% convinced yet that it’s going to get used a lot.

I’m probably going to get the pro as this will complete the libraries, and I use Spaces II, so my reverb needs are covered. I make full use of those extra Mics to create my custom mix. I’m just debating the new BBC library. Not 100% convinced yet that it’s going to get used a lot.

Just get it. You'll have regret if you don't, and buyers remorse if you do! But seriously, just complete the collection, for $250 it's worth it.

Trying to decide if I should pick it up now for $138. I have studio strings and winds, and like using them with BHCT. I’ve wanted the brass to fill things out, but I’ve been a bit scared off by a lot of the unhappy opinions about it.

and buyers remorse if you do
I have it.. LOL Not nearly as good as the other two in the series, and my solo horns 2 long patch doesn't even work..actually only the CLOSE mic works. The individual patch does work though, but not within the curated main GUI. SF support tried to work on it for almost a week...nothing. And the sounds are a bit weak, but as a second library, it works.

Trying to decide if I should pick it up now for $138. I have studio strings and winds, and like using them with BHCT. I’ve wanted the brass to fill things out, but I’ve been a bit scared off by a lot of the unhappy opinions about it.
If it's your main brass library, I'd be careful buying it. If you have the strings and winds, and want to round out the "studio" sound, then get them...but get the pro version...pro versions for ALL studio series is a must I think...opens the sound out a lot.

Top Bottom