What's new

Scoreclub and Mike Verta's Masterclasses

Masterrenderer

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to expand my knowledge and was looking at the orchestration and composition masterclasses by Mike Verta.

It's a bit unclear to me what's included. Is it just a video and also what's the average duration of the videos.

Thanks!

Video based masterclasses that range between 3-4 hours in length.

Be prepare to take notes or bookmark places of interest in the videos.

Best,

Maximvs

The only masterclass of his I've ever bought/watched is How to Score a Movie in Seven Days (or something like that), in which he scores a really bad Asylum Pictures mockbuster that his girlfriend directed. I found it fascinating, but I'm not sure I learned a whole lot.

Mike's course are good. perhaps if you told us a bit more about what you are after and current skillset we could give you more info

best

ed
Hi Ed,

I produced a couple of EDM tracks and want to transition more to cinematic music. I love to convey emotion in music.

I manage basic music reading
Then I'd suggest

Score club:

Master The Score: Ryan Leach and Mattia Chiappa

There're YOUTUBE channels are great too:

Best

e

The Verta courses do have value, but be aware that they're a bit different. The nice thing is that Verta's courses are very inexpensive, so there's little harm in trying one to see if you like the approach.

Verta's courses, which often last 3-5 hours, will have 3 or 4 very useful and good tips which will all be presented in the first hour. The rest will be ranting, while repeating the same points over and over. So there's rarely a point to watching past the first hour. The courses are very unstructured, more of a stream-of-consciousness presentation.

Verta is excellent at the particular style of John Williams, Goldsmith, 1980s-era movie scores. If that's your interest, you'll find great info and solid advice. If that's not your interest, skip his classes. I did find his 'Score to Picture' classes particularly good in understanding what a composer should be thinking about narratively when composing for media.

The above recommended courses like ScoreClub and Ryan Leach are indeed excellent, and will give a more formal and complete education overall, if a bit more theory-based.

It's a Mike Verta thread!!
When I did my first steps into composing land I did start out with Mike's classes - at least partially because of the low price point. In retrospective I don't think that was a wise choice. Indeed the classes are not very structured, and for a beginner they do not show a clear path for how to learn composing. For this I would rather recommend ScoreClub or Ryan's course on Master The Score (then again the latter one is rather expensive, and you get 8-or-so months of ScoreClub subscription for the same price with a lot more in-depth information). Later - when one got a good idea of it all and some experience - I'm sure Mike's classes can provide one or the other little gem of knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. As far as ScoreClub goes, how beginner friendly is it?
Fairly beginner, but it does assume you're at least a little decent at reading music. But in fact, Score Club is what prompted me to get better at sight-reading, which really paid off incredibly well in the long run. It's a win/win.

And in fact, the best way to get better at reading music notation is to write music notation, which is what Score Club gets you doing.

Last edited:
Basically, I don't have any notation knowledge. I would probably be able to place notes, time signatures, but other then that I'm definitely a beginner.
Don't let people scare you. If you're reading a score the notes aren't going anywhere and if it takes you an hour to figure out one bar then so be it. You'll get better and faster the more you read. We all started somewhere.

Don't let people scare you. If you're reading a score the notes aren't going anywhere and if it takes you an hour to figure out one bar then so be it. You'll get better and faster the more you read. We all started somewhere.
Not scared at all :). I actually like people being honest so expectations can be met. I think David's comment is valid, it will most likely get me through the course easier.

Top Bottom