What's new

SampleOddity RELEASES Thrash DI Metal Guitar library! **NEW VIDEO 10/25**

JoelS

Greetings, denizens of VI-Control

THRASH DI Metal Guitar is available right now for $49

It has been some time since I last appeared amongst you, in an age long past when I offered up a cheery selection of musical cookie tins. Now, though, I bring you a whole different beast... multisampled direct input metal guitar! I'll keep the bluster to a minimum and instead present you with these demos of THRASH DI, which is available even as you read this:
[flash width=450 height=210 loop=false]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/2587210&secret_url=false[/flash]
All guitar parts are Thrash DI. I used a bunch of amp sims: bx_rockrack, Guitar Rig 5, and Overloud TH2. The bass is Dream Audio Tools Repetitive Bass, drums are Toontrack Superior Drummer.

You can also check out this video that shows off the Riffmaker, a step sequencer for producing tempo-synced metal riffs:

Here are all the details:
  • $49 (USD) 650MB of samples /252MB .rar download
  • A brutal battery of metal articulations including:
  • Powerchord 5th sustains (4xRR)
  • Three staccato downstroke styles
    • Palm muted (11xRR) in triads, 5ths, and single string
    • Half muted (11xRR) in triads, 5ths, and single string
    • Open Staccatos (8xRR) in 5ths and single string
  • Staccato upstroke release samples for fast riffing
  • Staccato palm muted harmonics (8xRR)
  • Tremolo powerchords and single string sustains
  • Single note sustains (4xRR, 2 velocity layers)
  • Single note techniques: Light Vibrato, Heavy Vibrato, Slide-ups,Pinch Harmonics
  • Special Effects: harmonic sweeps, dives and rises, fret noises
  • The Riffmaker: A versatile step sequencer that stores up to 12 riff patterns and transposes your riffs up and down the keyboard... just use keyswitches to swap between riffs on the fly!
  • .wav files are open for you to browse/alter.
  • Kontakt 4/5 current full version required
You can check out the full documentation for the library here (which also has pictures of the GUI) and purchase it here.
I'll be around to answer any questions or field any comments you have.

Thanks,
Joel Steudler
SampleOddity

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: SampleOddity RELEASES Thrash DI Metal Guitar library!

Hi Niah, thanks for asking! Technically, the original Thrash is still around at
https://www.sampleoddity.com/thrash/

and the freebie version of Thrash DI can even still be downloaded here:
https://www.sampleoddity.com/thrashdifree/

I've been considering what to do with both of those older libraries.

I've already decided to make a new and improved version of the freebie and call it Thrash FREE. I have to update the interface graphics to the standard of the current Thrash DI stuff, and I want to add a little to the sample pool, drawing from the newer recordings I did for the commercial DI release.

The original Thrash is a trickier proposition. If you recall, it was pre-amped and limited to that one tone. Sales on it were kind of lackluster and it was more attractive in 2009 when it was more likely someone might want an option where you didn't have to run an amp sim alongside Kontakt. For me, at that time, I had trouble with that on the system I was using.

I'm not particularly convinced that the pre-amped Thrash has much commercial potential today, but nonetheless I want to rework it a bit with amped versions of the new material I recorded for Thrash DI... adding in stuff like the pinch harmonics, staccato upstrokes, and maybe the additional sets of staccatos I did for DI, too. I'd also like to see if the script guru I've been working with (Adam Hanley) can help smooth out the note-to-note transitions.

Finally, I've been thinking about adding some very simple looped chug phrases (8ths, triplets, a few simple patterns) to the amped Thrash, since K5's time machine pro makes those way more useful and it would sound better that way. Thrash DI doesn't need those, as I think the demos attest, but I feel like the amped version would benefit from them.

That's probably a way longer answer than you expected, but I do want to be clear that I've been thinking about ways to bring both those older products up to the standards I'd expect if I was buying that instrument.

Cool so far this is the best guitar library dedicated to metal that I like.

I didn't mind that the first version of the library had a pre-baked sound since I don't have that many amp sim tools nor do I like to spend a lot of time tweaking when I just want a standard sound but I appreciate that some folks would not want this so I'm looking forward to the future of Thrash anyway.

This is a very well done product judging from the demos! I would feel guilty buying this though as it would make me feel like I was cheating on my guitar :D

This sounds pretty good! I couldn't find this info on the website (I hope I didn't miss it), but what kind of guitar did you sample for this?

@Niah: Thanks! There could well be enough people like you that want the sound without the fuss of dealing with amp sims. I'm definitely going to give the old pre-amped Thrash a makeover and see how scripting can improve the sound.

@Darthmorphling: I appreciate the compliment! Loyalty to your instrument is important and admirable, but if your guitar ever wants to take a vacation or retire from active duty, you know where to look.

@Inductance: Thanks as well! The guitar I recorded is a 6-string Schecter Blackjack C-1 with Seymour Duncan humbucker pickups. It's mentioned more in the documentation page for Thrash than the overview. There are a couple more pictures there, too.

What was the price for the old pre-amped thrash?

Any idea what kind of pricetag your new improved version would have, Joel?

Yep, pre-amped was $49, is currently $49, and will remain $49 after its renovations.

It still lives here: https://www.sampleoddity.com/thrash/ and is indeed purchasable. Any and all additions to it are going to come in the form of a free update.

Hey guys, I've just uploaded a video that shows off the Riffmaker, which is a pretty cool step sequencer programmed for Thrash DI by scripter extraordinaire Adam Hanley. It's up at the top of the thread, too, but I'll post it here to save you the effort of scrolling all the way up there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom