What's new

SampleOddity releases ODDMOSPHERES: cinematic sounds for Massive!

JoelS

Hello, fine composers of VI Control! You may remember me from such sample libraries as Thrash DI, Epic Laundry, and Monster Cookie Tins. Ok, probably not from Monster Cookie Tins given the sales numbers... but that is neither here nor there. What is here is Oddmospheres, a new library that has no samples at all, since it is a soundbank for Massive!

[flash width=450 height=100 loop=false]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/117210779&secret_url=false[/flash]
That's a patch tour going through about half of the presets, one at a time. My goal when making these patches was to provide very flexible sounds that have plenty of motion and character. There is a lot of grit, imperfection, analog-ish behavior, wobbles, and warps.

Each patch has eight macro controls set up that allow you to personalize the sounds to a significant degree. There is really quite a lot of tweakability and it's no exaggeration to say that you can easily double the amount of sounds in the set just from twisting the knobs a bit.

Here are some bullet points for you:
  • $17 (USD)
  • For use in ambient, cinematic filmscore, and minimal genres
  • Inspired by Boards of Canada, Nine Inch Nails, Hybrid
  • 53 unusual instrument patches
    • 27 pads – lush, drifting tones that imperfectly evolve
    • 10 leads – quirky and dynamic melodic mutations
    • 6 FX – swooping, sweeping risers and drops
    • 5 sequences – rhythmic resources that tweak to fit your groove
    • 5 basses – a small assortment of distorted grit and metallic bell tones
  • Each instrument includes eight MIDI assignable macros for sound shaping control!
  • Massive 1.3.1 or beyond required

You can purchase it here!

Thanks,
Joel Steudler
SampleOddity

Good to see you back, Joel! And yes, I do remember Monster Cookie Tins. Guess I'm one of the few, the proud... I haven't used Massive much, but I will check it out and see if I want to take a plunge with Oddmospheres.

later,
John

Awesome glad to see you bringing out another library Joel. Love Monster Cookie Tins (proud owner of it!).

@John - thanks! You might be surprised at the kinds of interesting sounds Massive is capable of. For the longest time, I didn't think much of it at all, and assumed that it was mainly for EDM sounds. I actually was thinking about learning how to make some dubstep sounds when I gave Massive another try, and found that it is more than capable of producing cool cinematic ambiances and pads.

The thing I like most about Massive is that its interface was very easy for me to grasp and learn. It's pretty straightforward and easy to navigate, and you don't have to drill through endless screens of GUI to find the parameters you want to change. I've messed around in Absynth a bit, too, and it definitely has amazing capabilities, but navigating the interface is like hunting for buried treasure.

There are lots of great tutorials out there, too, if you ever want to learn about what's going on under the hood. https://www.massivesynth.com/ has a ton of resources, and the tutorials that they share in their newsletter taught me quite a lot.

@Giant_Shadow - thanks very much! I'm glad you like what you hear. If you do add them to your arsenal, I hope you find the sounds useful and relevant to your music.

@Emmett - thanks again! I have some more stuff in the works. Trying to find time to finish it up has been challenging, but I was so inspired when working on this set of sounds that it jumped ahead in line.

Joel, thanks for the tips on Massive, and also the tutorial link. I am always trying to learn new stuff, having started very late, so your kindness is very good for me!

later,
John

Top Bottom