What's new

Sample libraries based on synthesized material - what do you like to see?

What do you LIKE to see in a synth-based sample library?

• Layering system (combine multiple sound sources)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Deep modulation capabilities (LFOs, routings, XY pads)

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Big, easy macro knobs (make it simple for me)

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Streamlined UI (don't make me do much work at all)

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • As much of a synth engine as possible (filters, envelopes, etc.)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Adjustable rhythms (sequencer, arpeggiator, gater, etc)

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Raw and dry elements so I can do my own shaping

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Pre-designed and baked elements that just sound good out of the box

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • A focus on FINDING sounds (deep browser, tags, search etc)

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

Andrew Aversa

Lead Developer
There are a lot of ways to record and design a synth-based sample library. But in 2024, what do you find actually useful, usable, and interesting?

For example, there's a lot of love for classic Spectrasonics sounds a la Distorted Reality. I still use a lot of sounds like this in my own music. Sometimes you just want sounds that are intricate, complex, and sound good out of the box even if you can't really edit or personalize them.

Then there are very script, UI-heavy designs that let you build a very complex patch from potentially simple material, and it's all editable. So if you hear a snapshot or preset you like, you can break it down into its constituent elements.

Another approach is the preset lover's buffet, where there are lots of patches with simple macro knobs, but you can't get into much detail under the hood. Big macro knobs, not much else. A focus on finding the right preset and doing fast but impactful tweaks, even if you can't rebuild the whole patch yourself.

What do you gravitate toward using? Bonus points if you chime in on whether or not you know much about synthesis!

Last edited:
I much prefer modelled over sampled synths, so if I'm going to use a sampled one, I favour an engine that allows me to treat the sample as an oscillator, with a strong set of sound shaping options. I'm also more likely to use a sample based synth with an arp or sequencer, whereas I inevitably use modelled for leads.

I like finding quickly (search with tags etc) good sounds and easy way to change em a bit (like how Alchemy gives several macro buttons with different flavour to switch between and also Yes - Big macro knobs) and also pre-assigned several CCs which can twist sound a lot (like it was on many patches in Access Viruses).
Also off topic question - will there be TSW, TSB and TSP??? :)

Honestly I would love a synth sample library with dynamic layers, with each layer carefully designed, going from ppp to fff. Sonuscore’s Elysion library does this, but I don’t know of any others, and it’s a brilliant concept.

Basically a synth library that’s playable like an instrument, not just hold down one key and hear a static sawtooth with maybe one filtercutoff built into the mod wheel.

I want synth instruments!

Top Bottom