What's new

Routing Kontakt in Reaper?

Steinmetzify

Chug and Sludge
Was watching some demos of Gravity on the Heavyocity site and then the DJ walk through from a couple years ago, and it looked to me like these guys had multiple instances of Gravity on one track...or all of their instances of it on one track, routed out to different ones.

Being a noob at this I'm wondering what the purpose is?

Noob guy (me) runs one instance of Kontakt per track, meaning one instrument per track. I'm getting the sense watching these vids that this is not what you guys are doing.

Can someone explain why and then either explain how this is done or point me at a video to illustrate this, please?

Thanks muchly, composition type people!

Some people do multiple outs, others do it one instrument per track. I've done both and found no real difference between the two. As a result, I'd rather stick with what works (one instrument per track) and not deal with the routing.

The advantages of running multiple instruments in one instance are : the samples are loaded only one time in RAM. Useful if you have different instruments based on the same samples.

And next, the CPU usage. On large templates, it can be really noticeable to reduce the number of instances.

The only problem with multi-outs are the time spent on routing but if you work with templates, this problem disappears...

Take a look at the video tutorials on the Reaper's website in "MIDI and Virtual instruments" category, (those with multi- in the title).

This one for example :

I've found the difference in CPU use on my Mac (on a large template) to be negligible. Multi-out was more efficient, but not enough to make it worth the routing headaches.

I've found the difference in CPU use on my Mac (on a large template) to be negligible. Multi-out was more efficient, but not enough to make it worth the routing headaches.

Yeah, this is what I'm finding....seems to be more of a headache than just using one instance per track. Thought it might be a good idea but purging samples with one on each track seems to work just fine for me.

I wonder if it'd render faster though...

Top Bottom