What's new

REVIEW: BBCSO Professional by Spitfire Audio

I was accused of this more or less the other day. All because I do not hide my enthusiasm for certain libraries / developers. I guess a lot of people are extremely cautious these days ;)
About 5 or 6 months ago I thought you may have been hired to keep the VI-Control forums going. Spreading love for many developers as well as giving many posters positive feedback... And I thought if that were the case indeed you were doing an awesome job.

About 5 or 6 months ago I thought you may have been hired to keep the VI-Control forums going. Spreading love for many developers as well as giving many posters positive feedback... And I thought if that were the case indeed you were doing an awesome job.
Haha. Well, I was banned at some point because basically (a) I was seen as someone who was showing “open defiance” against some rule or other and (b) because I had posted 3000+ messages over the course of a couple of months. So I doubt whether most people really appreciated my spam. Secondly, the main reason for me frequenting these parts is that I was mainly lying in my (hospital) bed. That’s why I added “I talk too much” to my profile, in hopes that people do not take me too seriously. Because they really shouldn’t. Although I do love my 8dio, Chris Hein, XSample, Waverunner and Karoryfer samples haha. Take THAT serious at least. ❤

Haha. Well, I was banned at some point because basically (a) I was seen as someone who was showing “open defiance” against some rule or other and (b) because I had posted 3000+ messages over the course of a couple of months. So I doubt whether most people really appreciated my spam. Secondly, the main reason for me frequenting these parts is that I was mainly lying in my (hospital) bed. That’s why I added “I talk too much” to my profile, in hopes that people do not take me too seriously. Because they really shouldn’t. Although I do love my 8dio, Chris Hein, XSample, Waverunner and Karoryfer samples haha. Take THAT serious at least. ❤
Aren't you forgetting Aaron Venture? ;)

Not forgetting Ben Osterhouse. But enought with derailing this fine thread haha. Maybe the thing I love most is my ego. Okay, on that bombshell... outta here 🤣

Increasingly the marketing departments in large corporations have focused on influencing the opinion through new channels. It’s not something they brag about but it’s also not a secret. Sample libraries are nowadays big business and there are many big companies with huge marketing budgets, and one of the the biggest marketing division in the industry is no doubt the one over at SA.

Of course they have people trying to steer the opinion away from negative criticism and question bad reviews of their products, since that’s their job. Of course these people work through different channels such as social media and forums. This is not to accuse anyone or make any company look bad, no more so than accusing any other marketing efforts; they are not good or bad per se. But as a consumer it would be naive to believe this industry would be any different than other with big money involved. Influencers are very well paid for a reason.

No more than everything being said in a tv ad is necessarily true, the opinions in forums and social media is not always the thoughts of a single mind. This is of course not only true for SA but lots of other manufacturers as well. Criticism against some companies seems to always be drowned in a sea of disagreement.

Hi Erik -

Im lurking here! I appreciate all discussion in both directions - even if I think a review is horribly unfair there still might be some useful ideas in there that can inform how we can make stuff better.

Just a sidebar - the central concept of BBC is educational and the mode switching to allow it's use in that environment.

That’s probably clear from discover. It needed to be an all in one package, and a perfect starting place for people to learn and progress, but for the Pro edition to be a very useable pro end tool as well.

Personally - although I’m clearly going to be biased - I think it succeeds in this aim. Nothing is perfect however!!

Now - as for the marketing - I’ve specifically told Mike that we don’t want any censorship in our threads. Nothing is deleted on our request. Everyone who posts here from Spitfire is clearly identified. No employees from SF post here anonymously in the manner suggested. They would be in serious trouble if they did. (However - I genuinely don’t think anyone who works with me would dream of doing this.)

Christian and I doubtless have many faults! But lying to people and tricking them into buying things under false pretences is absolutely not one of them. We have never, and will never allow or condone shilling in this manner. To be honest - I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I went about life like that.

I’m so proud of everyone I work with. They are all honourable and diligent people who take massive pride in what they do - that’s what sets the fire in my belly every morning raring to go. I love what I do and I know I’m very lucky indeed to be able to do something I love for a living.

I rarely chip in on threads outside my domain! You’ll have noticed it’s only when I think something is both wrong and unfairly not representative of the work of the people I work with and care about. You might think - well it’s a bit pointless really - it’s a forum - and isn’t this just Quixotic behaviour!!

Hey ho!! Not trying to change anyone’s mind over the actual library, I remember Hans’ immortal advice on playing tracks to directors - “you can’t persuade someone to like something!”

But just wanted to clear up the shill thing. Believe it or not we have recently been the victim of this. But we will never be the perpetrator.

Anyway - I should probably stop rambling!

Respect to all

P

Last edited:
I don't think it was ever revealed (or even hinted) as an educational platform, and that it would be broken down into smaller versions. If I had known that I'd have waited.
'This is just the beginning' made me think, oh... even more is coming! Most forum users thought that, you can see it from the mega thread when questions about it were raised, the default answer was 'this is just the beginning!'.
Sadly, it was just reduced. Cheaper. Free plugin to late adopters. But we got a blue tint. Nothing changed for us, except the plugin was fixed.

The AR release seems to be going in the other direction, how BBC should have. A good move.

I don't think it was ever revealed (or even hinted) as an educational platform, and that it would be broken down into smaller versions. If I had known that I'd have waited.
'This is just the beginning' made me think, oh... even more is coming! Most forum users thought that, you can see it from the mega thread when questions about it were raised, the default answer was 'this is just the beginning!'.
Sadly, it was just reduced. Cheaper. Free plugin to late adopters. But we got a blue tint. Nothing changed for us, except the plugin was fixed.

The AR release seems to be going in the other direction, how BBC should have. A good move.
You don’t have long to wait for a pretty chunky update!!

“free to late adopters” - well if you are comparing the 600gb version to the 200mb version then yea I guess!

“free to late adopters” - well if you are comparing the 600gb version to the 200mb version then yea I guess!

That's cool.
I was hinting at the Aperture freebie 1 month later. Not that I'm still bitter about that :)

You'll discover that ignore function makes this forum much more enjoyable..fanboys can become really annoying

Suuuure :)

But I'm surprised there wasn't a 13 second black screen teaser with website countdown to announce the update..
It reminds me of the bass flute in the Facebook post that Daniel James was totally crazy about (and then wasn't part of the release). :grin:

Just a sidebar - the central concept of BBC is educational and the mode switching to allow it's use in that environment.
I would like to believe that and the concept is good!

But the library was advertised differently at the beginning! A game changer has to deliver exactly that (I have a "slightly" different opinion).

I don't know any other library that causes as much controversy as BBCSO, which IMO to a large extent is related to marketing (higher, faster, better, game changer).

The good thing is, everyone may have and say his opinion. What I do not understand is how users approach each other so personally.
Somehow this has increased over time and I find that sad (not your fault).

At least you take a stand on criticism, that's good.

That’s probably clear from discover. It needed to be an all in one package, and a perfect starting place for people to learn and progress, but for the Pro edition to be a very useable pro end tool as well.

Personally - although I’m clearly going to be biased - I think it succeeds in this aim. Nothing is perfect however!!

Perhaps the pandemic has thrown a bit of a wrench/spanner into things, but I'm interested in following where Discover goes as a concept. My local school district alone has over one million students.

Hi Erik -

Im lurking here! I appreciate all discussion in both directions - even if I think a review is horribly unfair there still might be some useful ideas in there that can inform how we can make stuff better.

Now - as for the marketing - I’ve specifically told Mike that we don’t want any censorship in our threads. Nothing is deleted on our request. Everyone who posts here from Spitfire is clearly identified. No employees from SF post here anonymously in the manner suggested. They would be in serious trouble if they did. (However - I genuinely don’t think anyone who works with me would dream of doing this.)

Christian and I doubtless have many faults! But lying to people and tricking them into buying things under false pretences is absolutely not one of them. We have never, and will never allow or condone shilling in this manner. To be honest - I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I went about life like that.

I’m so proud of everyone I work with. They are all honourable and diligent people who take massive pride in what they do - that’s what sets the fire in my belly every morning raring to go. I love what I do and I know I’m very lucky indeed to be able to do something I love for a living.

I rarely chip in on threads outside my domain! You’ll have noticed it’s only when I think something is both wrong and unfairly not representative of the work of the people I work with and care about. You might think - well it’s a bit pointless really - it’s a forum - and isn’t this just Quixotic behaviour!!

Hey ho!! Not trying to change anyone’s mind over the actual library, I remember Hans’ immortal advice on playing tracks to directors - “you can’t persuade someone to like something!”

But just wanted to clear up the shill thing. Believe it or not we have recently been the victim of this. But we will never be the perpetrator.

Anyway - I should probably stop rambling!

Respect to all

P
Hi Paul, Greetings from the USA West Coast. I became familiar with your products as a pretty busy composer and sound designer who has worked in the industry for years. I used a lot of 8dio stuff and before that a ton of Spectrasonics libraries back in the 90's. I go way back to the Emulator II and 1V. Back when you had to load files in with CDROM's Ahh. Those were the days..LOL..

I really appreciate all the libraries I have now and because I actually learned my craft by listening to music with my parents, both musicians. My mother was a pianist, who I learned piano from. Also performing, in orchestras, jazz ensembles and playing studio sessions at a trumpet player in Los Angeles. I feel fortunate to have been in the industry in a time when you had to actually have skills to even work and not rely on loops, and computers. So grateful for that. I love all of the choices I have made with Spifire Audio libraries. My philosophy is that it's a toolbox. You use what works. When I started out.. I would do commercials in NYC where I worked for a couple of years with some simple samplers. It's not the horn, it's the player and you have to find "YOUR" own voice in the industry, where everyone seem to be sounding so similar. I enjoy hearing things that are simple and serve the picture and not the composer. Anyway, that is my rant back and really enjoyed your response and am sure you will continue to help everyone with their persuits in their chosen field. G

@bfreepro I think your review struck a nerve. ;)

Seriously though, keep doing what you're doing. Don't ever betray your own opinions or honest feelings when it comes to these reviews. You're obviously going to get dirt for it from people (including the developers) who feel offended, hostile, or somehow wronged by your words, but at least you'll be able to sleep at night, because you were true to your self, and that's all that matters.

It was your money you spent on the library. It was your time you spent on the library. It was your effort you invested into writing this review.

So FUCK what other people think.

I would like to believe that and the concept is good!

But the library was advertised differently at the beginning! A game changer has to deliver exactly that (I have a "slightly" different opinion).

I don't know any other library that causes as much controversy as BBCSO, which IMO to a large extent is related to marketing (higher, faster, better, game changer).

The good thing is, everyone may have and say his opinion. What I do not understand is how users approach each other so personally.
Somehow this has increased over time and I find that sad (not your fault).

At least you take a stand on criticism, that's good.
I agree with everything you said 100%. Never once did I get the impression this was meant to be an “educational product” (the core and discovery released after I purchased pro). The marketing simply did not reflect this in any way, whatsoever!
Anyway, I’m genuinely shocked how far this thread has gone, this was never even my intention (imagine you wake up to read comments from Paul Thomson 😂). Just wanted to offer my experience, which is still completely valid. It’s also shocking and ironic to me some people would get upset being labeled a “shill” for liking a product, and then in the same breath, turn around and label someone’s critiques as a “hatchet job” for disliking certain elements of a product. I think they are BOTH wrong and completely irrational reactions, but I specifically noticed some taking offense at the former while personally engaging in the latter. This is simply stunning to me. I never in my life personally thought anyone was a shill or anything, I just know the monumental status this company holds, and how irrational some of the hate can be, as well as some of the hype. Bound to happen. Still love the company, still love a lot of their products, and I still LOVE writing reviews and criticizing even the products I love, and I’m definitely not gonna stop doing it... even if many can’t seem to wrap their minds around differing perspectives and opinions, that’s not my problem :)

I’ll ALWAYS be open to hear contradicting views and counterpoints presented in a respectful manner without jumping to conclusions or tearing each other down with ridiculous and baseless accusations. Just like Paul, and many of you here, I fucking love what I do and am insanely passionate about music and the tools we use to create our art. We all have that in common at the end of the day, let’s not lose sight of that. Please.

Last edited:

Glad to hear, because in Pro Tools, it's a bit of a RAM issue, plus adjusting the right configuration within the player...I had Agnus help me a bit, but then in the end he just said wait for the update..LOL. Looking forward to it Paul!!

Top Bottom