What's new

*RESOLVED* Spitfire UACC not working correctly

I'm trying to get Studio Strings Pro to work with UACC. I'm following everything exactly, as far as I can tell. Lock to UACC. Automate CC#32 to various values. For instance, I automate to go from a value of 20 (legato) to 42 (spiccato). Instead of jumping to spiccato, it goes to the next articulation over from legato, which is a sustained long. What am I doing wrong here?

Something to do with the CC scaling of your DAW or controller?

Normally midi CC values are 0-127, and Spitfire UACC adheres to this standard. Logic for example too.

But maybe your controller outputs 1-128? If you try 41 or 43 for spiccato?

Are you sure it's locked to UACC? Unfortunately, there's no visual confirmation in the dropdown menu like a tickmark. When it's not locked to UACC, it does seem to switch between Long and Legato in a patch like Violins 1 (16) in response to a CC32 message if one of them is sending 20 (or at least that's what happened when I just tried it).

In UACC, it should show both the articulation and the numeric UACC value it's using. If it's not locked to UACC, it will just show the artic - but as it works a little bit, could make it look as though it's locked to UACC properly.

That's impossible. CC data values are 7 bit, 127 is the maximum.
You're right 7 bit is always 128 steps but it depends if you count from 1 or from 0. If you count from 1 then 128 would be the maximum. I know the 0-127 vs 1-128 scaling can be a problem with program changes, there are two different standards.

That's a matter of how the value is interpreted by the receiving side though. What is being sent is always a value between 0 and 127.

That's a matter of how the value is interpreted by the receiving side though. What is being sent is always a value between 0 and 127.
It's just a matter how it's displayed. Some DAWs display C4 as C5, some display (7 bit) program change 0 as 1 etc. The same may apply to CC, that's all.

Are you sure it's locked to UACC? Unfortunately, there's no visual confirmation in the dropdown menu like a tickmark. When it's not locked to UACC, it does seem to switch between Long and Legato in a patch like Violins 1 (16) in response to a CC32 message if one of them is sending 20 (or at least that's what happened when I just tried it).

In UACC, it should show both the articulation and the numeric UACC value it's using. If it's not locked to UACC, it will just show the artic - but as it works a little bit, could make it look as though it's locked to UACC properly.

Thanks, I double checked and it is locked to UACC. I'll attach a screenshot, maybe that'll be useful. You can see the automation lane is for CC32 (which is listed as Bank Select LSB) and the currently selected legato patch is listed as UACC CC#20 (which is confusing because 20 should be the value, not the CC# itself, but I think that's just sloppiness on Spitfire's part?) It's weird, nothing happens when I hit play - no articulation switching, and in fact no sound at all. Like no articulation is selected at all. Thank you very much for the help, this is driving me a little nuts.

Annotation 2020-04-25 123650.png

Thanks, I double checked and it is locked to UACC. I'll attach a screenshot, maybe that'll be useful. You can see the automation lane is for CC32 (which is listed as Bank Select LSB) and the currently selected legato patch is listed as UACC CC#20 (which is confusing because 20 should be the value, not the CC# itself, but I think that's just sloppiness on Spitfire's part?) It's weird, nothing happens when I hit play - no articulation switching, and in fact no sound at all. Like no articulation is selected at all. Thank you very much for the help, this is driving me a little nuts.

I don't have Studio One, I'm afraid. It looks like it should work. The only thing I can think is that MIDI somehow isn't getting through to Kontakt properly, especially with the no-sound thing. It will tend to default to slot 20, which can make it look like the controller is doing something when it isn't.

Can you use an external controller to get CC#32 messages into it rather than through automation? Just to check it's not something weird in the automation?

Last edited:
Hi,

Studio One Pro 4.6.1 user here.

I tested using UACC with Spitfire Studio Woodwinds Pro. Library, I don't have the Studio Strings Library.

My conclusion, Most of the UACC Values assigned to the various keyswitches are not correct. i.e. I'm testing this with the Flute.

i.e. The Articulation : (Long) shows UACC must have a value of 1 when I click on the articulation, setting CC32 to value 1 in Studio One I get the correct articulation (Long). But this doesn't work for the other articuations.

i.e. The articulation : (Marcato) shows UACC must have a value of 52, but setting CC32 to 52 does not do anything, after trying different values, it turns out that a value of 41 works and switches to (Marcato).

It is a pain trying to find the correct values for the articulations, their UACC system for this library is super buggy.

So... My conclusion, their UACC system is a big mess. I'm not sure if this is with just some libraries, or their studio line of libraries. I will check further to find out.

Hope this is helpful.

NOTE: ** See my Post Below (with yellow note) Showing how this can be easily fixed, Spitfire UACC System is not buggy, it works perfectly fine in Studio One Pro, it's just a matter of changing a setting in Studio One Pro 4 **

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Hi,

Studio One Pro 4.6.1 user here.

I tested using UACC with Spitfire Studio Woodwinds Pro. Library, I don't have the Studio Strings Library.

My conclusion, Most of the UACC Values assigned to the various keyswitches are not correct. i.e. I'm testing this with the Flute.

i.e. The Articulation : (Long) shows UACC must have a value of 1 when I click on the articulation, setting CC32 to value 1 in Studio One I get the correct articulation (Long). But this doesn't work for the other articuations.

i.e. The articulation : (Marcato) shows UACC must have a value of 52, but setting CC32 to 52 does not do anything, after trying different values, it turns out that a value of 41 works and switches to (Marcato).

It is a pain trying to find the correct values for the articulations, their UACC system for this library is super buggy.

So... My conclusion, their UACC system is a big mess. I'm not sure if this is with just some libraries, or their studio line of libraries. I will check further to find out.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Thanks! I'm surprised no one else has run into this issue. At least I know I'm not crazy. I wonder why spitfire hasn't updated the documentation.

Thanks! I'm surprised no one else has run into this issue. At least I know I'm not crazy. I wonder why spitfire hasn't updated the documentation.

I never bothered using their UACC system, I'm guessing many users just use keyswitches, maybe that's the main reason they haven't been fixing these issues. But, you can always email Spitfire Support to report this to them, maybe they will fix these issues.

I can't get S1 to respond when I lock SF Studio Strings Pro to UACC or UACC KS. It works fine with regular keyswitches and with sending CC32 to an unlocked instrument. SStS Pro works as expected with articulation sets in Logic, so I think this is a S1 issue. SF support might be able to help you out.

As Spitfire hijacked a bank-switch message for UACC (and just half of it), is it possible S1 filters it or tries to do something clever with it that mean it doesn't pass the CC messages to the plugin properly? Or maybe there's a preference setting to do with MIDI bank and program change messages?

I don't know. I'm suspecting the basic problem is that S1 has a peculiar implementation of midi. It gives you finer control over CCs and velocities, since they are scaled from 0-100 and to the hundredth, so allow for 10,000 values, rather than 128. I'm not sure how to turn that off, if it is even possible. But I suspect that's at the heart of the problem, since it affects both lock to UACC and to UACC KS, both of which presume 128 values.

* NOTE: Easy Fix for Studio One Pro 4

Hi,

OK, I think I figured out what's causing the problem in Studio One Pro 4.

When you are in the Key-Editor, you will need to Right-Click on the Vertical rectangular area right under the virtual Keyboard on the left, you will see two options (Percent and MIDI) select MIDI.

It was set to Percent, hence the maximum value of 100. When you switch to MIDI you get the 128 MIDI values (from 0 to 127) and the Spitfire UACC CC values work/map as they should. Everything works properly.

Here is a gif showing it working in Studio One 4.6.1

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Top Bottom