What's new

Research Being Done to Combat i9 13th/14th Gen Instability... HA! They should have asked us!

PaulieDC

Too much gear, not enough composing. Oy vey.
Posting this in General Musings for a reason: Interesting article spawned from the gaming world how certain rendering engines used in gaming is causing instability in 13th and 14th Gen Intel CPUs, etc etc etc:

Totally cracked me up... there's even tech labs in South Korea investigating I think it said, and yet right in the very article they posted, they state the answer and are totally missing it... MB makers have cranked up voltages all this time as a stability bandaid, causing temp maxes and other issues. DUHH!

I almost, ALMOST posted a reply that said, head on over to VI-C and peruse the site because a bunch of the team here like @Pictus, @Technostica, @rgames and several others of us got the undervolting procedures figured out with the help of great YT channels. But then I realized we'd have a swarm of non-musicians poking around, so I abandoned the idea. 🤣

In the meantime I'm enjoying all 32 threads on my i9-13900KF cruising at 100% in a large project with temps barely hitting 80C and nothing is crashing. Took a while, but we got there... and it'll remain our secret (not really, these folks can hit JayzTwoCents on YouTube and get answers). I always thought gaming and especially video editing which I did for a few years were the monsters of CPU stress. HA, they aren't even in the same zip code as dealing with orchestral MIDI composing.

Video Editor: "How many tracks do you run in your software?" Us: "I've actually reduced my template, got it down to 1,700". Video Editor: :shocked:

I do have an RTX 3080 GPU and my tower pretty much yawns at Microsoft Flight Sim now. Gamers should ask us what we use, then just add their massive GPUs and RGB bling. ;)

Just having a little fun and giving a shout out to the gang on here that have helped many members sort this stuff out.

Last edited:
Two things are happening, chip degradation and instability.
Limit the max wattage and keep the CPU cool and all should be fine.

Hi temperature + high voltage/amperage = bye bye

More links at the bottom of the page

Buildzoid rambling about why some intel 13th/14th gen i9s and i7s aren't stable.

Pretty interesting video, although a bit repetitive, lol. But here’s my question: is this as much of a problem for composers? It seems like pushing the CPU to the limits and rendering and graphics are the biggest causes, and that’s among the gamers. On here we always pitch under-volting and never really talk about overclocking the CPU. I never did that in my video editing days either because I wanted stability. So I don’t know the answer, but I just wonder if we have as much trouble with this in the composing world with those of us that have built these machines. I have the i9-13900KF which does not have integrated graphics because I knew I was going to be using an RTX 3080. And of course I use the thermal right frame to mount the CPU and these MSI motherboards are like the sheet of plywood, really thick so my CPU temperature, even with all 32 threads hitting 100%, barely jumps over 80C. And there’s not that much going on in the graphics world when we’re working in our DAWs except for maybe multiple monitors and a video playback file. So I dunno, are we seeing the crashing as much in our composing studios? Genuine question, I really have no clue.

rdwuwtg.jpg

So, the solution to that over-heating (and the instability it causes to the semiconductors made of silicon) is simple 19th century physics (Joule's Law of Heating).

Pretty interesting video, although a bit repetitive, lol. But here’s my question: is this as much of a problem for composers? It seems like pushing the CPU to the limits and rendering and graphics are the biggest causes, and that’s among the gamers. On here we always pitch under-volting and never really talk about overclocking the CPU. I never did that in my video editing days either because I wanted stability. So I don’t know the answer, but I just wonder if we have as much trouble with this in the composing world with those of us that have built these machines. I have the i9-13900KF which does not have integrated graphics because I knew I was going to be using an RTX 3080. And of course I use the thermal right frame to mount the CPU and these MSI motherboards are like the sheet of plywood, really thick so my CPU temperature, even with all 32 threads hitting 100%, barely jumps over 80C. And there’s not that much going on in the graphics world when we’re working in our DAWs except for maybe multiple monitors and a video playback file. So I dunno, are we seeing the crashing as much in our composing studios? Genuine question, I really have no clue.

Not only video game, but Cinebench and probably other heavy duty stuff.
Audio stuff is not heavy duty.
As long the CPU is below 90ºC and limited max wattage, no problem.

Top Bottom