What's new

Releasing my first studio album - vlogging the journey!

Hi all - so after 30 years of writing music I'm releasing my first 'proper' studio album (of music I haven't been commissioned by someone else to write!)

First time writing music very personally and primarily for myself (since I was young) without thinking about what anyone else would think about it. Its been really enjoyable - and I've set myself the aim now of making back the (modest) studio and musician costs, and having something to put towards my next project.

I'm making a (roughly) weekly vlog about the whole process from initial conception through to holding the physical thing in your hand. For anyone still interested in albums and the idea of doing it yourself, hopefully there will be a few areas in this little series that will have some useful info to help you on your way. Some of these areas I'm very familiar with and some I'm going to be learning as I go (streaming strategies).

Any feedback or questions welcomed! The album release date is April 18th, when I'll ship the physical copies and email the digital ones.

Oh and because I'm extra, and as I explain in my theory in the first vlog, these days albums work when you can add value, provide something 'extra' - ! - I've included with every copy a download of some of the sounds I made while I was making the album, to use on it.

So - for anyone who would like to join me on my journey - here are the first two videos!

Once we get more into the technical stuff, I'll collect up questions from my comments and do a few Q&A videos.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
I quite liked the first video in this series and will watch the second as soon as I can find an uninterrupted block of time. I find the idea of a professional composer talking about writing music for themselves as the audience and what goes into that quite fascinating. It’s a different mindset to be sure from writing for clients (whether commercial or commissioned) and working to brief. In any case I’m very much looking forward to hearing the details of the journey (and hearing the music that results).

I quite liked the first video in this series and will watch the second as soon as I can find an uninterrupted block of time. I find the idea of a professional composer talking about writing music for themselves as the audience and what goes into that quite fascinating. It’s a different mindset to be sure from writing for clients (whether commercial or commissioned) and working to brief. In any case I’m very much looking forward to hearing the details of the journey (and hearing the music that results).
I did as well. He really spells out the near impossibility of even recouping the costs of making an album these days.

good stuff and informative as always, paul! thanks for continued sharing. looking forward to following the journey to completion.

thanks, paul. really enjoying seeing how the sausage is made, or at least how YOU make it.

Hi all - so after 30 years of writing music I'm releasing my first 'proper' studio album (of music I haven't been commissioned by someone else to write!)

First time writing music very personally and primarily for myself (since I was young) without thinking about what anyone else would think about it. Its been really enjoyable - and I've set myself the aim now of making back the (modest) studio and musician costs, and having something to put towards my next project.

I'm making a (roughly) weekly vlog about the whole process from initial conception through to holding the physical thing in your hand. For anyone still interested in albums and the idea of doing it yourself, hopefully there will be a few areas in this little series that will have some useful info to help you on your way. Some of these areas I'm very familiar with and some I'm going to be learning as I go (streaming strategies).

Any feedback or questions welcomed! The album release date is April 18th, when I'll ship the physical copies and email the digital ones.

Oh and because I'm extra, and as I explain in my theory in the first vlog, these days albums work when you can add value, provide something 'extra' - ! - I've included with every copy a download of some of the sounds I made while I was making the album, to use on it.

So - for anyone who would like to join me on my journey - here are the first two videos!

Once we get more into the technical stuff, I'll collect up questions from my comments and do a few Q&A videos.

Thanks!

Paul

bookmarked

Thanks for sharing this Paul. It's great to see some in depth discussion around the end to end process for making an album like this.

Top Bottom