What's new

Red Lobster used all AI music for their latest advertising campaign (with examples)

Here's one that's actually good.

This is good enough to be used right now, in a real ad. No changes.

Impressed most of all that it's nailing male falsetto in that growling screaming James Brown style as well as pretty authentic stylistic runs. Yikes.

I will admit when writing articles, sometimes I have used mid journey to create the cover art.

I am no different to any of these folks who may come along and use udio.com to generate some background music for whatever.

When I do it, I honestly don't care too much about how the art looks, as long as it works for the article.

I'm a hypocrite, and I'm part of the problem because I am doing the same thing to visual artists as others will now do to composers.

It's a particularly vicious issue, because on the one hand, creators need quick art or music to bang out an article or a video, and they often don't have the budget to pay an artist much if anything. That's capitalism 101 - get 'er done as cheap as poss.

On the other hand, it's this very behavior that is going to hurt us all.

I don't have any good answers. I bleed for us composers, and for the visual artists I myself have been helping to put out of work. It's all insidious and horrible and I feel bad about it. I don't know what the answers are.
Yeah, and? So what, you're a hypocrite or you're just looking out for yourself. So is 99.9% of most people who are concerned with making sure they can get what they want and don't care about how it's affecting other people. That's how tech moves.

What happened when digital cameras became affordable? There was an explosion of people who all of a sudden thought they were "photographers". They did cheap weddings and flooded stock libraries as a "side hustle" because now they didn't need to know how to deal with film (because learning how to load a camera is too much for some people!). Photoshop ensured that they could fix everything later and not worry about even having workable skills. But with a credit card, they bought their way into a field they had no business in and decimated it. I'm sure plenty of people complaining about AI shoot with digital cameras and may even have a foot in the photo world, too and do low level work, taking work away from legitimate photographers.

What happened with digital movies? I had a friend who was a professional projectionist for 40 years. Guy was considered a god among his peers - one of the best projectionists ever. The skills he had were legendary - being able to splice, cut, edit, and repair film while it was on the spools and running through the projector! Then digital movies happened. After a 40 year career being one of the best ever in the business, at the end the only job the projectionist union could get him was teaching the theater managers how to hit "play" on the digital projector. Now? He makes ends meet as a salesman in Lowes housewares. Or as he puts it, "I look like Aladdin in this stupid little red vest". Ever gone to see a movie in recent times? Have you exclaimed how amazing films look now that that they're digital? Most people do without a thought of the tons of people that were displaced and put out of work in their 50s and 60s - probably the worst age to be out looking for a new job. You're virtually unemployable. Or people who owned one hour photo labs? What about them? Or the countless other people involved in film processes? No one gives a damn about them because you get to take a picture and instantly see what crap you made and that's worth them losing their jobs. I mean, time and tech marches on! Evolve or die!

VIs made people with lower budgets and tight wallets hire less musicians. No one worried about that because it benefited them. Why call a bass player when you can just use a bass VI and step record stuff. The advent of DAWs and digital recording put many smaller studios out of work - people who invested tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars in their smaller studios put out of work by people saying, "Come to my basement bro, I can record your band now!"

Tech always displaces professionals. Plenty of people working in music now who have no business being there but sneak in because tech lets them use it as a crutch. People who can't play but cut and paste on a piano roll. People using algorithmic stuff like scaler and programs like that to make up for their lack of creativity, knowledge, and ability. Just check the Synth V subforum. All of a sudden, who needs vocalists? No one cares about if vocalists get called less for sessions because it benefits the people here who are too insecure to interact with a real vocalist. But all of a sudden everyone has a vocalist on their music. Or how many people here have used chat gpt to write lyrics for them? Why not use a lyricist or collaborate with someone? But all that's OK because it benefits the people here.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to do it on their personal projects on their own time but if this was the 70s and 80s, none of these people would be working in any capacity in the professional sphere and picking off work from professionals.

Now everyone's screaming about AI because that threatens all the people I mentioned above who are here so it's a big problem. Although I suspect the people screaming loudest about how AI is going to take every composer's job are probably the people using tech the most as crutches, So they stand to lose the most. But I guarantee you the people screaming about AI have most likely participated in many of the things I listed above without a second thought to those they displaced or put out of work.

See, when you're actually a creative person then creativity is part of your life and you can always find ways around a problem or a new way to approach something. When you're not really creative (or refer to yourself as a 'creative' which is always a sign that someone isn't creative at all) then you're threatened by tech, because tech is the only way you can fake any kind of creativity.

TL;DR - So you used AI art in something and feel guilty. Big deal. Pretty much everyone here has used tech that displaced or put someone out of work and they didn't feel guilty. It's only because it's threatening their so-called livelihood now that it's a problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, and? So what, you're a hypocrite or you're just looking out for yourself. So is 99.9% of most people who are concerned with making sure they can get what they want and don't care about how it's affecting other people. That's how tech moves.

What happened when digital cameras became affordable? There was an explosion of people who all of a sudden thought they were "photographers". They did cheap weddings and flooded stock libraries as a "side hustle" because now they didn't need to know how to deal with film (because learning how to load a camera is too much for some people!). Photoshop ensured that they could fix everything later and not worry about even having workable skills. But with a credit card, they bought their way into a field they had no business in and decimated it. I'm sure plenty of people complaining about AI shoot with digital cameras and may even have a foot in the photo world, too and do low level work, taking work away from legitimate photographers.

What happened with digital movies? I had a friend who was a professional projectionist for 40 years. Guy was considered a god among his peers - one of the best projectionists ever. The skills he had were legendary - being able to splice, cut, edit, and repair film while it was on the spools and running through the projector! Then digital movies happened. After a 40 year career being one of the best ever in the business, at the end the only job the projectionist union could get him was teaching the theater managers how to hit "play" on the digital projector. Now? He makes ends meet as a salesman in Lowes housewares. Or as he puts it, "I look like Aladdin in this stupid little red vest". Ever gone to see a movie in recent times? Have you exclaimed how amazing films look now that that they're digital? Most people do without a thought of the tons of people that were displaced and put out of work in their 50s and 60s - probably the worst age to be out looking for a new job. You're virtually unemployable.

VIs made people with lower budgets and tight wallets hire less musicians. No one worried about that because it benefited them. Why call a bass player when you can just use a bass VI and step record stuff. The advent of DAWs and digital recording put many smaller studios out of work - people who invested tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars in their smaller studios put out of work by people saying, "Come to my basement bro, I can record your band now!"

Tech always displaces professionals. Plenty of people working in music now who have no business being there but sneak in because tech lets them use it as a crutch. People who can't play but cut and paste on a piano roll. People using algorithmic stuff like scaler and programs like that to make up for their lack of creativity, knowledge, and ability. Just check the Synth V subforum. All of a sudden, who needs vocalists? No one cares about if vocalists get called less for sessions because it benefits the people here who are too insecure to interact with a real vocalist. But all of a sudden everyone has a vocalist on their music. Or how many people here have used chat gpt to write lyrics for them? Why not use a lyricist or collaborate with someone? But all that's OK because it benefits the people here.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to do it on their personal projects on their own time but if this was the 70s and 80s, none of these people would be working in any capacity in the professional sphere and picking off work from professionals.

Now everyone's screaming about AI because that threatens all the people I mentioned above who are here so it's a big problem. Although I suspect the people screaming loudest about how AI is going to take every composer's job are probably the people using tech the most as crutches, So they stand to lose the most. But I guarantee you the people screaming about AI have most likely participated in many of the things I listed above without a second thought to those they displaced or put out of work.

See, when you're actually a creative person then creativity is part of your life and you can always find ways around a problem or a new way to approach something. When you're not really creative (or refer to yourself as a 'creative' which is always a sign that someone isn't creative at all) then you're threatened by tech, because tech is the only way you can fake any kind of creativity.

TL;DR - So you used AI art in something and feel guilty. Big deal. Pretty much everyone here has used tech that displaced or put someone out of work and they didn't feel guilty. It's only because it's threatening their so-called livelihood that it's a problem.
You make good points.

It's just that this particular tech is set to affect nearly everyone. And drastically disrupt most jobs. That's never happened in such a huge all-encompassing way before (well unless you believe we've been "reset" in the past, but I digress).

The temptation to stop learning and thinking - to let AI handle the "hard stuff" for us - is great. We risk becoming dumbed down, like the movie Idiocracy, or worse - completely made obsolete.

Since we have this "every person for themselves" capitalist system, there is no "we" - no sense of solving problems together.

This will force us to think more globally and holistically about what we are creating. Because in short order the gap between the haves and the have-nots will widen, and the very tech that offers the world will be taking livelihoods away, ironically creating situations where more and more people have to go back to living off the land and using old school tech - because they can't compete and have nothing to offer a super computer-based economy.

Most jobs obsoleted and filled by AI, either in robots, or in smartphones or computers. It's not a joke, it's coming, if we allow capitalism and the almighty dollar to continue to dictate policy.

Being a "good person" has less and less value in this world, so far as economics are concerned, and it's coming to a head very quickly.

Reactions: AEF
You make good points.

It's just that this particular tech is set to affect nearly everyone. And drastically disrupt most jobs. That's never happened in such a huge all-encompassing way before (well unless you believe we've been "reset" in the past, but I digress).

The temptation to stop learning and thinking - to let AI handle the "hard stuff" for us - is great. We risk becoming dumbed down, like the movie Idiocracy, or worse - completely made obsolete.

Since we have this "every person for themselves" capitalist system, there is no "we" - no sense of solving problems together.

This will force us to think more globally and holistically about what we are creating. Because in short order the gap between the haves and the have-nots will widen, and the very tech that offers the world will be taking livelihoods away, ironically creating situations where more and more people have to go back to living off the land and using old school tech - because they can't compete and have nothing to offer a super computer-based economy.

Most jobs obsoleted and filled by AI, either in robots, or in smartphones or computers. It's not a joke, it's coming, if we allow capitalism and the almighty dollar to continue to dictate policy.

Being a "good person" has less and less value in this world, so far as economics are concerned, and it's coming to a head very quickly.
You think AI is the start of us being dumbed down? I have some bad news for you. We've been getting dumbed down for quite some time. The education system. The media. It's been going on for decades. Hell I have one friend who always says, "The phones get smarter and the people get dumber".

Also AI is going to displace the largest amount of people? What did you think would happen? Things are like a snowball going downhill - they just get bigger as they roll on. Once you start letting tech displace people it was always gonna get bigger and bigger and displace more and more people with each new advancement.

Nothing wrong with capitalism. It's not the greatest but it's better than anything else out there. It's just to not get destroyed by capitalism you have to be smart and be able to think one step ahead of it and a lot of people aren't smart.

You make good points.

Some of what you said was perfectly valid philosophical questions.

The problem comes when one thinks there's actually a way to stop this flood from happening. You could even say it's been in the process of happening for over a hundred years, it's all a matter of where you draw the line.

Now in theory the whole world could clamp down on AI, but that's never going to happen.

So lets put that aside. The next question is, can we do something about it? No. But many are still in denial and think lawsuits against Ai companies have a chance in hell of stopping their artistic industry being used as training data. The companies suing these AI company's will, or are, already making their own models. They're not trying to win the same case the artists want them to win. They want to win the case that lets the people who publish your music/art use your music in their own AI's. Either way, it's over. The legal cases are just securing that.

The faster people can get from denial, anger, bargaining all the way to acceptance the better they'll be. There WILL be some artform that will come out of this. Like photography and CGI art came out of those technologies. There were similar concerns about synthesizes, and of course sample libraries. This is on a whole other level, but the point remains. The question is, will you have drowned in the flood as a laggard in denial, or found a way to build a boat to ride the wave as long as possible. But one thing you can count on, the flood is coming, and you can't stop it.

Last edited:
Some of what you said was perfectly valid philosophical questions.

The problem comes when one thinks there's actually a way to stop this flood from happening. You could even say it's been in the process of happening for over a hundred years, it's all a matter of where you draw the line.

Now in theory the whole world could clamp down on AI, but that's never going to happen.

So lets put that aside. The next question is, can we do something about it? No. But many are still in denial and think lawsuits against Ai companies have a chance in hell of stopping their artistic industry being used as training data. The companies suing these AI company's will, or are, already making their own models. They're not trying to win the same case the artists want them to win. They want to win the case that lets the people who publish your music/art use your music in their own AI's. Either way, it's over. The legal cases are just securing that.

The faster people can get from denial, anger, bargaining all the way to acceptance the better they'll be. There WILL be some artform that will come out of this. Like photography and CGI art came out of those technologies. There were similar concerns about synthesizes, and of course sample libraries. This is on a whole other level, but the point remains. The question is, will you have drowned in the flood as a laggard in denial, or found a way to build a boat to ride the wave as long as possible. But one thing you can count on, the flood is coming, and you can't stop it.
I loved your response. What a great reminder we have a choice in how we live and respond to life.

Thank you.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: Ed
This is on a whole other level
And your proof of this is a horrible jingle about a chocolate? You talk a lot about how amazing this is, and yet the best thing you can show for it is a terrible music video, a shithouse chocolate ad, and I think someone else posted a 10 minute mario bros meme. You're right, it really is a whole other level.

Oh sorry, I forgot - someone else also posted a song about how Bob Ross is epic. I stand corrected. We probably could've cured world hunger for all the hundreds of billions of dollars being spent on this diarreah, but on the other hand... epic memes... Comon guys, we've gotta go with the memes.

A suggestion - Red Lobster is looking at comments. Go and write a comment on these videos and share your thoughts good or bad. These AI examples aren't great at all and it seems like its mostly a way for them to 'test the waters'. So instead of just talking here bring it to YouTube.

If one would follow what is happening as AI investment, they would realize that all this discussion is for naught. The current clues point towards a major paradigm shift in the value of human work in any field.

My current attitude is summarised by "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish".

Emphasis mine: "Meta increased its guidance on capital expenditure for this year, saying it now planned to spend between $35 billion and $40 billion, largely on AI investments." (https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-zuckerberg-plan-meta-make-money-from-ai-2024-4?op=1)

We have no clue on what is already in development.

A suggestion - Red Lobster is looking at comments. Go and write a comment on these videos and share your thoughts good or bad. These AI examples aren't great at all and it seems like its mostly a way for them to 'test the waters'. So instead of just talking here bring it to YouTube.
I'd think creating controversy to make people engage with your content on social media is the whole strategy of this.
So if you don't like it, ghosting them might be the better strategy.

And your proof of this is a horrible jingle about a chocolate? You talk a lot about how amazing this is, and yet the best thing you can show for it is a terrible music video, a shithouse chocolate ad, and I think someone else posted a 10 minute mario bros meme. You're right, it really is a whole other level.

Oh sorry, I forgot - someone else also posted a song about how Bob Ross is epic. I stand corrected. We probably could've cured world hunger for all the hundreds of billions of dollars being spent on this diarreah, but on the other hand... epic memes... Comon guys, we've gotta go with the memes.
I don't think you understand what it is you're listening to if you aren't impressed yet.

You realize this isn't samples, and that it isn't editing together audio files right?
It's literally been trained on each concept and how it fits together.
We shouldn't be THAT surprised, music is mathematical patterns. Humans think in mathematical patterns.

This would be hailed as the greatest audio technology ever created if it wasn't so good at it, and didn't threaten composers and producers. You'll get your music production AI tools giving you total control, but the way AI works apparently is you get this, before you get that. That's why AI images got good before it got better at giving you what you asked for.

If you’re not impressed you’re either in denial, you either don’t understand how it works, and/or haven’t really looked at what it can do. Those saying they’ve only heard memes are really telling on themselves. Of course there’s memes, there are silly images with Image AI’s as well. Sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending it’s not happening won’t save you

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people only see AI as a threat for music / Art and assume that everything else is going to stay the same .

Reactions: AEF
I don't think you understand what it is you're listening to if you aren't impressed yet.
I already described what I’m listening to - tasteless, artifact-ridden dogshit that doesn’t come close to what a talented producer could create. It’s possible to be impressed by the underlying technology while still being entirely underwhelmed by the output from an artistic perspective.

All you’re doing is speculating that the quality of the slop-generation will get exponentially better. Well here’s my counter-speculation: no it won’t, because it won't need to. Instead, it will just lower the bar for what’s expected, because it will be considered to be “good enough”.

But go on, tell us again how ignorant we are, and post some more examples of generated high art that we're all obviously in denial about.

Last edited:
Humans fighting the wars and cleaning bathrooms still, while robots make music and art. Its the ultimate oligarch dream.

Top Bottom