What's new

Recommendations for simple no-nonsense audio interface that just works? (Win 10)

I am not, window shopping only :) But the appeal of the MOTU name at such an affordable price has my attention. I'll wait for word from the brave souls who take the plunge though. I'm trying to convince some friends to get one lol

Or if you uinderstand German maybe?

Last edited:
First of all, apologies to @creativeforge for going off-topic and for posting a tune of mine with relation to the question asked.

Hi, could you give a review on the modulation strip on your Arturia Keystep? Does it work as well as an actual mod wheel? I tried the keys at a shop (probably the best among the mini keyboards) but wasn't able to test the modulation and pitch blend strips.

Hi Vashi :)

I think that like the "mini" size of the Keystep keyboard, the ribbon strips are more of a personal thing... Some will love them, some will hate.

Personally, for what they are, I think they are okay and behave much like wheels. So the pitch bend strip returns to zero when released and the mod strip stays where you release it.

One thing to get used to is that whereas a with a wheel you can see where you left it, you can't with strip. Also, you can go from minimum throw to maximum within a touch... It instantly jumps, whereas with a wheel, even if you make a rapid movement, you still take a bit of time to go from min to max.

I will post a piece of mine which I created using the Keystep to play my Mutable Instruments Elements Eurorack module. I patched up the mod and pitch bend strips to suit and you can get an idea of what is possible. Not a great piece and I'm not a great keyboard player but I think it worked out okay with regards to the modulation and pitch bend:-

I hope that helps,

cheers

andy

First of all, apologies to @creativeforge for going off-topic and for posting a tune of mine with relation to the question asked.

I will post a piece of mine which I created using the Keystep to play my Mutable Instruments Elements Eurorack module. I patched up the mod and pitch bend strips to suit and you can get an idea of what is possible. Not a great piece and I'm not a great keyboard player but I think it worked out okay with regards to the modulation and pitch bend:-

I hope that helps,

cheers

andy

Don't you worry. :) I also enjoyed the little Fódla ditty. Thanks! :emoji_ok_hand:

Latency figures are there. Cant wait for some real vi-world user experience with ASIO and windows10

Rick Moranis lives!

Good review, though I could have lived without the attempts there at being a comedian. It is definitely promising esp for the price.

I have NI's Komplete Audio 6, and I like it. I bought it used for $100. It's durable, has nice pre's, low noise, and it looks nice enough. I've had Steinberg and Scarlet cards, both were good.

Interesting thread.

I'm on my way to get a new audio interface for my notebook. So thanks to all hints here.

Actually focusrite has a BF sale til 2nd December 2019
(broken link removed)

(Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen; 18i20 2nd Gen + 6i6 2nd Gen)

I think I will get the Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen. Only pitfall seems with this that some people had problems with the windows sleep mode, but most seem to be happy customers.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

I'm on my way to get a new audio interface for my notebook. So thanks to all hints here.

Actually focusrite has a BF sale til 2nd December 2019
(broken link removed)
(Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen; 18i20 2nd Gen + 6i6 2nd Gen)

I think I will get the Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen. Only pitfall seems with this that some people had problems with the windows sleep mode, but most seem to be happy customers.

Thanks for the tip about the BoyFriend sale! Actually the same guy who did that review above (Podcastage), has done a review on the 2i2 Gen 2, and his tests show the Gen 2 pres to be slightly quieter than the Gen 3. And the Gen 3 has the AIR button which boosts the signal to give it more "presence." The Gen 2 doesn't have that. Could be a good buy!

I hope so. I'm too a bit frightened to get something stable after all these years. Being a happy user of the old M-Audio 1010 Lt still, but there's no Win 10 support anymore. So the counter goes tictoc. For the notebook I have the UA-25EX - was ok, but still old now.

Complicated for me, too. But I absolutely share your initial posting-motto btw - if it would work then...
let's go ;)
In my case I hope it fits to make a reliable live performance without crashes.

I can't comment on sleep issues with Focusrite, but am chiming in to say that it's generally highly recommended for machines that are dedicated to audio or video production to disable any extraneous Windows features that run in the background, including sleep mode, screensavers, auto update, etc. You can find plenty of Windows optimization guides on the web that discuss this. On my studio PCs, Windows is stripped down to the bare minimum services, processes, and bells-and-whistles to optimize performance for DAWs and NLEs.

My overall point being, sleep mode won't be an issue if it's disabled :sneaky:

Anyone heard much about the new Steinberg ur22c?

Its only 150€, so is in the price range of the OP.

I'm looking at the the UR44c, so i'm interested to hear thoughts.

Anyone heard much about the new Steinberg ur22c?

Its only 150€, so is in the price range of the OP.

I'm looking at the the UR44c, so i'm interested to hear thoughts.

I just started watching this review by Julian Krause, who had reviewed the UR22 first gen.

I have an M-Audio 2x2M that works great however I did previously experience similar issues. My laptop also had other performance issues. My solution was to completely clean up and optimise the laptop and never let it near the internet unless I have to download something too big for transfer by stick, I also have Windows automatic updates turned off so I have effectively baselined the system. Everything works fine now, and the laptop is single use to run Cubase. The 2x2M is running through a powered USB hub btw.

Top Bottom