What's new

Reason News thread: V13 releases June 18, 2024

Oh, so Reason is a plugin as well now? Great! Could be useful. I checked my account after buying v.3.0 in 2005 and got the upgrade price of 199 Euros... a bit steep but I am tempted (feeling a bit nostalgic). I did a little Reason rewiring into Live back in 2k5 but my biggest experience with Propellerheads products was its predecessor ReBirth, now discontinued (first TR303 digital clone software). That one was fantastic at the time!
If you want to upgrade now is a great time, until June 30th it is 60% off, probably the lowest it will ever go https://reasonstudios.com/blog/offline/

Oh, so Reason is a plugin as well now? Great! Could be useful. I checked my account after buying v.3.0 in 2005 and got the upgrade price of 199 Euros... a bit steep but I am tempted (feeling a bit nostalgic). I did a little Reason rewiring into Live back in 2k5 but my biggest experience with Propellerheads products was its predecessor ReBirth, now discontinued (first TR303 digital clone software). That one was fantastic at the time!
Reason Rack VST is awesome. Also check out JRRshop for that upgrade and apply coupon GROUP.

Reason News thread: V13 releases June 18, 2024

One caveat though… ever since Reason 11 they changed their policy and now they no longer include any and all Rack Extensions for a new “whole number version change”. So 12 doesn’t have synths like Friktion and Objekt. Still…. there are tons and tons of new great synths since v3 of course. Still a no brainer upgrade.

Do check your reward points over in your Reason account though. Maybe do the “login trick” on an iPhone that’ll render you additional reward points?

Reason Rack VST is awesome
I used it for a while and found it extremely buggy. The plugin crashed often, devices disappearing from the UI, etc.

I don't know. Maybe it was a Cubase or a Windows issue.

Will give it a try on macOS.

I used it for a while and found it extremely buggy. The plugin crashed often, devices disappearing from the UI, etc.

Never failed me once! Win10, Ableton Live

I've had problems with it for some time but the last update that brought Apple Silicon compatibitly finally fixed it.

It's an Internet Authorization bug. It happened to me and then I did the workaround and it has worked flawlessly since.

I don't remember it fully but it has to do with authorizing your computer to run Reason offline-- without having to verify the licenses each time. Then you deactivate the autologin feature.

There use to be detailed instructions but now I can't find it. Reason Studios is of no help because they are actually very unaware of the bug. Hopefully these instructions on how to run Reason without internet authorization can help. Just make sure you deactivate the auto login feature once you've done it.

Last edited:
I just learned about the removal of permanent offline authorization coming up in September. My understanding at this point is that if I upgrade to 12 now, I'll be able to authorize up through 12.5 to my Ignition Key dongle. However, 12.6, the version that makes it Apple Silicon native, will only use their new "phone home periodically" scheme. Do I have that correct?

For those of you who have been on 12 with Apple Silicon, how bad is performance on 12.5? I just got a Studio Ultra and am deciding which of my long-term tools aren't going to make it into my new workflow. If 12.5 is janky and I can't authorize 12.6 to my hardware key, that may be the deciding factor for me.

(Reason has been my #2 composition environment since its initial release - I love that it shakes me out of my production ruts, even if I finalize everything in Digital Performer. "Perpetual" licenses with non-perpetual authorization schemes, however, are just barely above subscriptions in terms of my "Will Not Purchase" criteria. The new VC influence on RS's direction may, sadly, signal the end of my decades-old relationship with the company, especially if they made the dick move of requiring their new scheme for AS native performance.)

Yeah I imagine :)

I haven't been keeping up with Reason... what I meant is if there's a big feature that's expected to be announced.
Nothing for 13. It is even unclear whether 13 will gain many new rack extensions, as this would maybe clash with the whole Reason+ subscription plan.

But word on the street is they may bring back ReCycle (v3)….

Nothing for 13. It is even unclear whether 13 will gain many new rack extensions, as this would maybe clash with the whole Reason+ subscription plan.

But word on the street is they may bring back ReCycle (v3)….
This reminded me that I wasn't 100% sure if I'd authorized my Ignition Key before they shut all that down a few months ago. Then I went online and realized that I don't think I ever did the 12 upgrade. Then I realized that 11 didn't get the Apple Silicon native code and that I didn't have a 12 authorization on the Ignition key (if that was even possible).

And then I read about the new online authorization thing. I think they've done an ok job of accommodating people with the long-term authorization, but like Roland, it isn't really a perpetual license anymore. It's an "as long as we are in business or feel like running the authorization servers" license.

It breaks my heart but, as with Roland, I sadly have to part ways with them, as I refuse to participate in these schemes. It's bad enough to have to do an online authorization at all (e.g., Omnisphere), but in those cases, if the company went belly up or (more likely these days) were acquired, I can still run my software as long as the authorized machine in working order. I have frozen machines for exactly this purpose.

But the expiration of a "perpetual" license on a regular basis means that I no longer have a perpetual license. So any further use of Reason will have to be with the actual perpetual license I have for version 11 on my frozen Mac Pro 5,1.

If anyone from Reason is reading this, the entire and sole reason you'll never get more money from me is this DRM approach. And as I said above, it truly breaks my heart - Reason has been my secondary DAW and "shake things up" composition space since version 1.

IMG_8137.jpeg

Mainly sequencer workflow related upgrades (cool).

A new synth, new delay and a couple of other devices. Nothing earth shattering it seems.

Oops I just posted a new Reason thread and then I saw this.

I guess the moderators can delete the other one if it's too redundant. We only need one thread for us handful of Reason enthusiast. :)

Looking forward to the new version. I don't need another synthesizer or delay, I'm already spoiled for choices. There are also many REs with the functionalities of the three new tools, even free ones, and I have most of them. Funny that the preset shown on that side-chain tool is 'pump', which is the name of the (now free) RE with that exact functionality.

But that sequencer split view is the one workflow feature that makes this update worthwhile for me. It was the same for me with R12, that I upgraded to solely for the hi-res graphics.

Looking forward to the new version. I don't need another synthesizer or delay, I'm already spoiled for choices. There are also many REs with the functionalities of the three new tools, even free ones, and I have most of them. Funny that the preset shown on that side-chain tool is 'pump', which is the name of the (now free) RE with that exact functionality.

But that sequencer split view is the one workflow feature that makes this update worthwhile for me. It was the same for me with R12, that I upgraded to solely for the hi-res graphics.
Agreed. At this point in my life unfortunately Reason can't really offer anything that I don't already have in a disgusting abundance. But, I always like to see Reason's new addition. Mostly back when I was only using Reason and Cubase side by side these upgrades meant the world to me. Couldn't even afford Zebra back then so the amount of useful tools in Reason was a life saver.

Now with the RE's and VST I don't know why Reason has the incentive to still do instruments and effects but....I'm glad they do. It's still cool to just use the stock devices now and again. The new synth and Complex-1 are just as capable as any other analog model so it's going to be cool.

Still think the Reason echosystem will produce a lot of good music for a lot of people.

Still think the Reason echosystem will produce a lot of good music for a lot of people.
Absolutely. I'm using Reason exclusively, after moving to it about 5 years ago, after using Reaper for over a decade. My current (home-)studio is completely built around Reason and its workflows. I'm also basically not using VST-plugins, except AAS Strum GS-2 because Reason lacks a good modelled electric guitar. But apart from that, I don't need anything else, I have everything I need in the RE-ecosystem.

Absolutely. I'm using Reason exclusively, after moving to it about 5 years ago, after using Reaper for over a decade. My current (home-)studio is completely built around Reason and its workflows. I'm also basically not using VST-plugins, except AAS Strum GS-2 because Reason lacks a good modelled electric guitar. But apart from that, I don't need anything else, I have everything I need in the RE-ecosystem.
If Reason still had ReWire I might just consider going back to the old way of working with just Cubase and Reason slaved together. It was a slick workflow and it allowed me to use both DAWS in tandem. I use to do a lot of automation in the Reason sequencer and then also do midi and audio in Cubase. It was fast and efficient.

With Reason though as a plugin via the Rack Extension, I tend to use it now just like I use all my other VST's. Getting things like the players to work well though is a bit of a challenge and then I've got every other synth and fx I need in VST format so sadly it kind of goes unused a lot.

I've built up Reason a lot over the years and I keep thinking I'll buy a laptop for use and then build a portable music machine based on Reason. That's why it still excites me. It still has all the magic of the first time using Reason 2.5 and being amazed at all it could do. I still have Reason 5 on my old old laptop and on occasion just boot it up and remember the good old days.

Expanse RE though is still one of the best Wavetable synths on the market. That thing is so good it's unreal. Do you have it? If not, then it's well worth the money.

Expanse RE though is still one of the best Wavetable synths on the market. That thing is so good it's unreal. Do you have it? If not, then it's well worth the money.
Expanse is amazing. I'm sad it isn't going to be updated tho. Is blamsoft still around?

Top Bottom