What's new

Reaper: Rendering Large Track Numbers (for samples)

Daniel Petras

Currently I'm trying to figure out a better method for rending samples in Reaper. Right now my current workflow is to solo a track and render it through the master bus. However with this method I can't use track wild cards, so I have to go in and manually name each track. Does anyone know if there is a way to render stems that go through the master bus? Or maybe there is a better way?

You can render each track by selecting selected tracks in the render window. You could also use the batch file item converter. My preferred method is to use regions and do a region export. I use the label processor to name all the items really quickly and then use an action to generate regions from the item names.

You can render each track by selecting selected tracks in the render window. You could also use the batch file item converter. My preferred method is to use regions and do a region export. I use the label processor to name all the items really quickly and then use an action to generate regions from the item names.
My problem is that when I do selected tracks they don't render through the master bus which is where I have the limiter. Since the level varies for each file, I need to make changes to the limiter on the master track before rendering the next file. I have no problem rendering each file through the master, however I'm not sure if it's then possible to use wildcards and thus have to go in and manually name each file.

You shouldn't really need a limiter if you're just exporting individual tracks, or are these multiple tracks that are being summed together through the master? Generally just make sure none of your tracks are clipping when played back individually if you are exporting them individually. If you run it through the batch item converter you can apply an effect chain to the output so you could put your limiter there. Or you could put a limiter on each track so you can export them individually and you can use wildcards there too.

You shouldn't really need a limiter if you're just exporting individual tracks, or are these multiple tracks that are being summed together through the master? Generally just make sure none of your tracks are clipping when played back individually if you are exporting them individually. If you run it through the batch item converter you can apply an effect chain to the output so you could put your limiter there. Or you could put a limiter on each track so you can export them individually and you can use wildcards there too.

I've noticed many who make their samples available do quite some heavy limiting and I was looking to do the same thing. I like the loud sounding samples.

Just normalise to 0db, or turn the volume up in the amp section. No need to apply limiting to the samples. You could compress them a bit if the volume varies a lot throughout the sample but I still don't see that limiting will increase the volume it will just cut down clipping which shouldn't be there. Unless I'm missing something...

Just normalise to 0db, or turn the volume up in the amp section. No need to apply limiting to the samples. You could compress them a bit if the volume varies a lot throughout the sample but I still don't see that limiting will increase the volume it will just cut down clipping which shouldn't be there. Unless I'm missing something...

For hybrid sounds it helps make them louder and thicker. Whenever I open up hybrid samples (whooshes, hits, risers, etc.) that's the trend I see.

That makes sense for when several tracks are summed together but if you have a single audio file surely you can just normalise to 0db? You can't make anything louder than 0db so all you can do is reduce the dynamic range by making the quieter parts louder, but this is the work for a compressor not a limiter unless there are multiple tracks.

That makes sense for when several tracks are summed together but if you have a single audio file surely you can just normalise to 0db? You can't make anything louder than 0db so all you can do is reduce the dynamic range by making the quieter parts louder, but this is the work for a compressor not a limiter unless there are multiple tracks.
I'm going for a higher average level. Why can't I do this with a limiter on single tracks?

Top Bottom