What's new

Pro Tools 2020

I’m very excited about folders. It’s perfect to group all the mics per instruments:

Code:
Flute:
    close mic
    tree mic
    ambient mic

I understand folders. I've had them in various DAWs for years. What it isn't is justification for a major version, especially with what they're charging for Ultimate... I keep hoping they'll step up, but nope...

Too little, too late.

What I do find laughable is the big fanfare blog post about it on the Avid site - just about every other DAW has had them since forever, it's been top of the requested features list since the Idea Scale started & Avid still thinks it's required to put up full instructions & usage directions. It's also funny that on the DUC, everyone who has been banging on about folder tracks is now screaming for ARA! :)

I stopped updating HD with version 11 and let my vanilla license lapse last year. The last straw for me was them stopping the re-reinstatement option (even though they were extortionate). The only reason PT is still on my system is for client compatibility.

Too little, too late.

What I do find laughable is the big fanfare blog post about it on the Avid site - just about every other DAW has had them since forever, it's been top of the requested features list since the Idea Scale started & Avid still thinks it's required to put up full instructions & usage directions. It's also funny that on the DUC, everyone who has been banging on about folder tracks is now screaming for ARA! :)

I stopped updating HD with version 11 and let my vanilla license lapse last year. The last straw for me was them stopping the re-reinstatement option (even though they were extortionate). The only reason PT is still on my system is for client compatibility.
I've been on PT at least some of the time since v5 and I'm not going beyond 2018. I should have stopped at 9.

If you mix entire films in PT (Dialog, Music, SFX, Foley, Backgrounds, Fx...) Folders are a big deal. But I'm betting they held off on this to add something to 2020. At this point they will do a "major" update every year, and like apple, will change less and less each time. The fact that they still hve something major like this to add (presets with 2018, gain reduction meters with 2019) this by comparison is huge. Although doubling the price of upgrades and updates is a low blow for those that own it. AFAIK the reinstatement plans are still sold, they are just more expensive. Ultimate is $2600 new, upgrade from regular PT $1900, Reinstatement plan $999, yearly updates are $399/yr. Crazy.

Edit: actually found a graph explaining the price changes last July. Not as bad as I thought, but PT standard update plan did double. Ultimate didn't change as much, but those prices are still crazy. The artical actually compares long term costs of buy perpetual license vs. renting, owning is a bit cheaper unless you don't need it all the time.

Last edited:
Pro Tools the Uber Eats of Post. It's a delivery service. Cubase/Logic/Reaper is your restaurant.
If you are just composing music, yes. But if you work in post- Dialog, SFX, mixing... it's the only restaurant open. Can't wait until someone comes up with a comperable replacement (or someone buys out Avid). I have used Cubase/Logic/Reaper and for editing hundreds of audio tracks and mixing they are not in the same league unfortunately. Hopefully someday.

I keep downloading AU/VST versions of my 200+ AAX plugins just in the hope that this will happen someday. ;)

If you are just composing music, yes. But if you work in post- Dialog, SFX, mixing... it's the only restaurant open. Can't wait until someone comes up with a comperable replacement (or someone buys out Avid). I have used Cubase/Logic/Reaper and for editing hundreds of audio tracks and mixing they are not in the same league unfortunately. Hopefully someday.

I keep downloading AU/VST versions of my 200+ AAX plugins just in the hope that this will happen someday. ;)

i thought reaper was a good alternative since its so flexible and its editing capabilities so good.
and many guys switched over.

If you are only a composer yes. But if you work in post- Dialog, SFX, mixing... it's the only restaurant open. Can't wait until someone comes up with a comperable replacement (or someone buys out Avid). I have used Cubase/Logic/Reaper and for editing hundreds of audio tracks and mixing they are not in the same league unfortunately. Hopefully someday.
R
i thought reaper was a good alternative since its so flexible and its editing capabilities so good.
REAPER is great for mixing, but it doesn't always scale well at very high track count (improved some in V6 apparently), automation isn't quite as good and control surface support is TERRIBLE. Otherwise I prefer it vastly.

Pretty much. I’m the former.

Folders are nice, but I usually use an aux track, groups and show/hide track. I mostly just do music as a hobbyist and have Cubase and S1. I still end up with using PT because, for me, it is easy. So I paid for 3 years last June. After that, not sure if I won't just freeze my system. Because once it got fairly stable for me, most of these updates haven't really added much I use. I would like ARA support though.

Edit: Oh, and an Arp. I mean really. Why are there no MIDI tools that are AAX? Is it really that hard to make one? Every other DAW comes with one.

In many big studios it's actually becoming the new standard because of it's open endedness and scriptability. Things are changing, very slowly.

But if you want a glimpse at the future for post, look at Reaper. If you want to get a head start in that business, learn Reaper NOW alongside Pro Tools.

Especially if you work in the game industry.

I tried Cubase..Kept returning to PT..Folder tracks are pretty much all I wanted for a while..
Do you mind telling why?
I'm only using Cubase as a composer, but PT is the film industry standard for score mixing.
I'm curious about your statement on both softwares.

I am not familiar with Post Production (past reading on it for the shortest time), so forgive me for this error... but is Nuendo not for Post?

I am not familiar with Post Production (past reading on it for the shortest time), so forgive me for this error... but is Nuendo not for Post?

i think there is a video fro christian henson showing why you need to learn pro tools.... but i dont think he states just how important pro tools is in post.

ive been working in post for 17 years and never ever saw anything else other than pro tools. not even once.
in NYC and LA. pro tools pro tools pro tools. thats it. sound editors edit and deliver in pro tools, composers deliver in pro tools, dialogue editors deliver en pro tools and everything is done in protools from start to finish.
if you want a job that has anything to do with audio you need to know how to use pro tools.

yes, some guys might use nuendo or reaper and be very vocal about it but its just no contest. its 99% the post prodcution world. thats why avid can charge whatever they want and be as holes about it.

for editing or mixing to picture its just work and its import session data is second to none.
and its also extremely robust and a standard on how to work. cubase, which is how logic was before, has way to many ways to do the same thing, which if you set it like you want then your golden, but its menu after sub menu after sub menu. in pro tools its the same key commands for everyone and simple very roubst settings. which obvuously cubase can do, but if you are colaborating with 20 other poeple and sharing files and cuts etc then using logic or cubase because counter intuitive. and yes, maybe if everyone used these daws the same ways it can do what pro tools does, but where pro tools shines is in this alternative, it forced a group of poeple to work a similar way. and things like sync to picture becomes extrmely acurate and easy, and other sync features and compatitablity.

now.. with that said. i do hate using protools and find it very cumbersome for music creation in my hybrid world. but i see mike verta getting along just fine w it.

ive been working in post for 17 years and never ever saw anything else other than pro tools. not even once.
I could be wrong, but I think he was asking you why you didn't use Nuendo. In your post, you said about using Cubase for editing and mixing hundreds of tracks and his question is specific to that and not what studios use. At least that's how I read it.

I am not an expert. But I did a lot of research on Nuendo when they had the big crossgrade sale. You can do post in it and it is used a lot for game music. But the studios all use PT, so if you want to work in film, they may not like your deliverables.

I also seem to remember reading something about setting timing when tempo changes being an issue when transferring stems. But I may be confusing that with Cubase. I don't really do film music but I have been trying to learn more about applying music to video.

Top Bottom