What's new

POLL: 100mm or 60mm for CC control over scoring libraries?(edit w/ photo on page 2)

pick a size

• Total voters
I actually prefer the shorter faders for shaping MIDI CC data. Not by a lot, but for me it is a little bit easier. It certainly would not influence a purchasing decision!

Mine are 60 mm. To some extent it probably depends on the quality and "resolution" of the fader and controller, but I've had no issues with 60 mm. It's actually a good size as it does not require much movement beyond the fingers.

Whatever you do, 7bit (0...127) won't cut it but you may know that already.
Yes. Thank you for the info but I was already aware. My testings are with the converters and trying to figure out if I can make midi one smoother with the long fader. I’m going to use hardware that will allow me to let it do osc or midi 2.0 in the future. I am also going to make it editable on the hardware. No computer software so that it will still be useful in 20 years.

Do all DAWs and VSTs support higher values ? For example I use Cubase , and it seems to only go 0-127 in the midi lane.

But that could well be my settings or ignorance.
I don't even remember the last version # of Cubase I've used, but AFAIK most DAWs happily accept at least 10bit values from e.g. Mackie controllers (standard of sorts) at least for volume (automation).

Although I voted for 60mm (mainly because I'm hoping that it will help you create a smaller footprint form factor for the box), I'd be more than happy to accept 100mm - as long as you get your product out quickly. I just spent the best part of two days finally getting my replacement Korg nanoKontrol2 working again in Logic.

But really, I've already got enough keyboards and controllers for this and that on my desk so available space is at a minimum. I well imagine that would be the same situation for most of your potential purchasers.

Clutter is not my friend.

What about the resolution? Just a length is not everything.
you are quite correct sir, as your web address in the sig would suggest;

we have been messing around with different high resolution solutions at the moment and using better external DACs.

I am not a software engineer, but i have hired one that has done a few other projects for me over the past few years.

i merely try out what he puts together and then i make notes. when we get closer i will post more technical information. at the moment it looks like we are going to be using STM ARM for the next prototype.

Although I voted for 60mm (mainly because I'm hoping that it will help you create a smaller footprint form factor for the box), I'd be more than happy to accept 100mm - as long as you get your product out quickly. I just spent the best part of two days finally getting my replacement Korg nanoKontrol2 working again in Logic.

But really, I've already got enough keyboards and controllers for this and that on my desk so available space is at a minimum. I well imagine that would be the same situation for most of your potential purchasers.

Clutter is not my friend.

the goal is to get a good mixture of small footprint, long throw(min of 60mm) with good resolution and a couple of tricks up the sleeve. the case is going to be machined out of a single piece of 3/8" aluminum bar stock, which will make it look excellent, precise, and have as a low of a profile as possible.

I prefer short throw faders with high resolution. I like to "fade" with my forearm anchored, somewhere between my wrist and elbow, depending on the work surface that the controller is setting on. This allows finer control (wrist and finger movement only) without having to actually move the larger muscles in my arm. This is the same way I use my mouse pad. I am currently using a StudioLogic Mixface controller with only 45mm faders.

I prefer short throw faders with high resolution. I like to "fade" with my forearm anchored, somewhere between my wrist and elbow, depending on the work surface that the controller is setting on. This allows finer control (wrist and finger movement only) without having to actually move the larger muscles in my arm. This is the same way I use my mouse pad. I am currently using a StudioLogic Mixface controller with only 45mm faders.
i use my mouse this way as well but find that i enjoy a longer throw on the faders. probably just from years of doing live sound.

Top Bottom