What's new

Please recommend a Middle Eastern percussion library similar to the percussion found on "Passion."

There is a tambourine-like instrument that shows up several times. It's in both "The Feeling Begins" and to a lesser extent on "A Different Drum." But it's not like a traditional tambourine. It's very high-pitched. I wish I knew what that was. Also I'm guessing the shaker that happens later on in "The Feeling Begins" is a shekere? It seems like the tambourine (or whatever high-pitched version of it is cranking out 16th notes while the shekere (or similar) is playing downbeats.
I'd be interested in what you think the instrumental breakdown is on that percussion ensemble in "A Different Drum." I've been in love with that track for like 30 yrs.
In "The Feelin Begins" that little tambourine is a riq, and it is played Middle Eastern style. I missed that one before. On the downbeats, that's a shekere. Sounds like a plastic one, or maybe just EQed to be bright like that.

On "A Different Drum", that's surdo and sabar (which is a Senegalese drum). There is some other goblet type drum playing as well.

In "The Feelin Begins" that little tambourine is a riq, and it is played Middle Eastern style. I missed that one before. On the downbeats, that's a shekere. Sounds like a plastic one, or maybe just EQed to be bright like that.

On "A Different Drum", that's surdo and sabar (which is a Senegalese drum). There is some other goblet type drum playing as well.
Thank you!

There have been some good suggestions here so far especially the NI one which I think is the most loyal to the region's idiom. I would however avoid Zero-G at all costs as the one-shot samples are just chops out of real audio performances, so there is literally no release samples and the one-shots cuts out almost immediately which sounds completely unrealistic.

Also make sure to check this excellent library from strezov. Don't be deceived by the "frame drum" label which may look a bit limited as you'd be surprised of the amount of sound varieties you will get thanks to the tons of different drums models/sizes etc..

I would however avoid Zero-G at all costs as the one-shot samples are just chops out of real audio performances, so there is literally no release samples and the one-shots cuts out almost immediately which sounds completely unrealistic.
Interesting.
From where you get this information?
In the specs, it says 12 round robins, and I didn't recognized any machine gun effect yet, using the library.

Sounds like a similar drum set in Come Talk to Me. Evolution Series World Perc would be your best bet.

Yeah, the same Senegalese drummer played on both.

This is him wearing white in the center:

EDIT: I don't know of any multisampled sabar drums, they are sort of unique in that they're played with one hand and one stick, but some similar hand drum timbres and similar editable MIDI patterns can be found in NI's West Africa.

Last edited:
Interesting.
From where you get this information?
In the specs, it says 12 round robins, and I didn't recognized any machine gun effect yet, using the library.
I have the library too. My comment was about the release tails. I haven't said anything about RRs!

Yeah, the same Senegalese drummer played on both.

This is him wearing white in the center:

EDIT: I don't know of any multisampled sabar drums, they are sort of unique in that they're played with one hand and one stick, but some similar hand drum timbres and similar editable MIDI patterns can be found in NI's West Africa.

That is just incredible. Like watching a Magician's show who has supernatural powers.

Top Bottom