What's new

Please read before upgrading to macOS Sonoma 14.4

Ben

VSL
Hi there!

A few hours ago we got notified that PACE/iLok protected Audio Units plugins crash on startup on the latest macOS release, Sonoma 14.4.
Since we already got at least one user that run into this issue I want to share as much as I know with you so you can avoid running into this issue. Affected are systems running:
- macOS 14.4
- Audio Units plugins
- protected by PACE/iLok (this can affect all iLok protected plugins, not only ours)
- M2/M3 CPUs (M1 seems not to be affected)

Apple is aware of this issue and is planning to fix it in an upcoming release. We don't know the schedule for that release.

Workarounds:
- Don't upgrade to Sonoma 14.4 until the fix is being released
- If you have already upgraded you can run your DAW in Rosetta mode (if your plugins are available as Universal binaries)

Best, Ben

Info from Metric Halo about the issue:

PACE and macOS Sonoma 14.4

Hey folks,

Just a head’s up: We have found that if you have an older install of the iLok License Manager and update to macOS Sonoma 14.4, all licensing operations (including iLok License Manager) just hang without any error messages.

If you download the current iLok License Manager installer from iLok.com and update before (or after) updating to Sonoma 14.4, this appears to work like normal.

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
https://www.mhlabs.com

Interesting that this happened in a .4 update of Mac OS.

A few months ago Tim Cook said that Apple will be focusing on bugs. Yet seems they keep happening. My guess is that resources are being pulled towards Vision Pro and now ai.

And that's exactly what they did: introducing new, catastrophic bugs!
If I had to guess, there might be a team or meetings where they decide how to make people use less a feature or app. Like with iTunes that has become such a pita to buy music or download or customize playlist or use your own mp3 in iPhone. And all so people go get a music subscription.

Similar to logic where updates are less and less amazing and soon the iPad version that’s subscription will most likely have cooler features.

The lack of new monitors and mac centric updates that are cool seems to point us to see those Apple Vision Pro more closely. You can’t , for some reason, have 2 or 3 monitors in many MacBooks but if you use Vision Pro you can have as many windows floating around.

From discussion elsewhere, this looks like an issue with plugins that make connections to the internet for their copy protection suddenly not being able to connect. It is likely to be an issue for some non-ilok plugins too. I imagine apple have tightened up some kind of network security setting without warning.

Info from Metric Halo about the issue:

PACE and macOS Sonoma 14.4

Hey folks,

Just a head’s up: We have found that if you have an older install of the iLok License Manager and update to macOS Sonoma 14.4, all licensing operations (including iLok License Manager) just hang without any error messages.

If you download the current iLok License Manager installer from iLok.com and update before (or after) updating to Sonoma 14.4, this appears to work like normal.

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
https://www.mhlabs.com
I have the latest iLok License Manager and still get errors when running licensed libraries in Logic. Have to run it in Rosetta for them to work. 14.4 of course.

Last edited:
- M2/M3 CPUs (M1 seems not to be affected)
M1 not affected? Hard to believe, because it seems to be an issue with macOS itself. Any reports about Intel machines?

Fact is 14.4 is a disaster, because Java and printers are also affected.

And the worst ... issues with iCloud.

PS: Intel machines are not affected by the Java issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, this particular OS update has been quite a mess. It seems like they keep finding new things that it breaks every few days. From iLok, to Java, to certain cloud based things like iCloud drive and even issues with some peripherals.

Many millions of people download and run the betas. Nobody caught any of these numerous issues during testing?

It's been a pretty long time since there has been a Mac OS update that was as messed up as this current one is.

I read that a new iOS point update is supposed to be coming pretty soon. Hopefully, a point update to Mac OS will also arrive which fixes all of the issues that have cropped up.

Hoping a new computer will ship with Ventura, ...
All new M3 machines ship with Sonoma 14.1 currently ... bought a MacBook Pro M3 last week.

Thankfully 14.1 runs stable and without issues on my MBP ... knock on wood.

In another forum many people reported that the disaster in music production started already with 14.3 ... 14.2.1 was fine.

Last edited:
Nobody caught any of these numerous issues during testing?
The question is, who are those Beta testers ... did they use iLok, HP printers, Java, multi-monitor setups, etc.? It seems they didn't or didn't report the issues sufficiently and ... just in time.

For sure non of them used Synthesizer V, which has issues since 14.3

That's why many bugs so often don't pop up in the Beta, but later on in production.

Top Bottom