What's new

Play 5 Now Available!

I'm having strange issues with Play 5 in Cubase 8.5 / Win7. Experiencing a lot of drop outs and cut off sample playback now (HS and HB). HS Violas are the worst. Can't play two notes in a row. Short notes get cut off after the attack, it just goes mute. Holding down a note with something like the Horns Leg Slur Rep results in the sustain portion decaying rapidly, almost like fortepiano and then it's silent. When I release the key, I hear the release sample. Never had this before. Anyone experiencing something similar?

I'm having strange issues with Play 5 in Cubase 8.5 / Win7. Experiencing a lot of drop outs and cut off sample playback now (HS and HB). HS Violas are the worst. Can't play two notes in a row. Short notes get cut off after the attack, it just goes mute. Holding down a note with something like the Horns Leg Slur Rep results in the sustain portion decaying rapidly, almost like fortepiano and then it's silent. When I release the key, I hear the release sample. Never had this before. Anyone experiencing something similar?
See@SymphonicSamples answer on page 5 of this thread:

Just incase this happens to anyone else. After I installed I loaded up a project in Cubase 8.5.20 and wanted to test a section which had high cpu usage. I hit play (well I felt like it at this point)and all Hollywood Brass patches were cutting notes short, it was a mess. So I shutdown the project and created a new empty project. I added one instance of Play 5 and loaded one French Horn patch, ever note cut short. So I shutdown Cubase and loaded Play standalone. Loaded the same patch, perfect. I loaded 1 instance of Play in Bidule same patch, again perfect. Started Cubase up and repeated, cut notes like crazy. So I checked a few different patches in Cubase. I loaded up the most memory hungry HS legato patch, perfect. I loaded a Flute legato, massive fail. So at this point it was obvious it was any Play library on 2 of my SSD's, the other 4 SSD's were fine. So I looked at the Sample Cache settings in Play for my drives, and when Play installed it by default set 2 drives to 0. So I set them both to 3 and closed the instance off and reloaded and it was working as expected, back to normal. Obviously cache setting of 0 was an issue in Cubase with 1 patch loaded , but not in other hosts. It was so ironic, I had never had issues with Play and then on the big V5 :) Easy fix thankfully.

You should try an A/B between the two, the difference is pretty substantial.
Well there is a lot of shout about the oxford version that out ranks them all, hence play 5, now if play was a sampler this channel strip would go a long way, or if the C S was stand alone i guess that would be crazy, but also bump the price up too, once you start using it inside of play it will become very addicted you will be able to make anything sound that much better.

Very hard to keep my hands off until the very last moment or final mix

Well there is a lot of shout about the oxford version that out ranks them all...

Not sure if you mean the Oxford EQ? If so all of the Sonnox stuff is fantastic for sure... Inflator is my personal favorite by them, it winds up in every template, from trailers to classical... I still haven't found a soft clipper I like nearly as much and it's very clean...

...or if the C S was stand alone i guess that would be crazy, but also bump the price up too, once you start using it inside of play it will become very addicted you will be able to make anything sound that much better.

Very hard to keep my hands off until the very last moment or final mix

Actually, this is the exact same same channel strip :)
https://www2.solidstatelogic.com/studio/duende?active=0#&panel1-1

(It doesn't have the transient shaper though. That is part of the Drumstrip, and not 100 percent sure it's the same algorithm, but it does sound excellent.)

Another great alternative, (and very modestly priced) is the Metric Halo Channel Strip. It's not an SSL model so it doesn't sound identical, but it's very console-like, has a very smooth sound kind of like the Oxford, and very CPU friendly... They've also been running $25 flash sales the past two weeks. I have a feeling they will be putting a new plugin in the bundle on sale each week until the sale ends. If so you may be able to grab it for $25 so keep an eye on their site if it interests you...

https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/software/channelstrip-3.html

I upgraded to Play 5. Somehow it freezes my DAW when I tried opening as Standalone or VST. Initially I thought it's my hard disk hicking up and felt "oh shit!! No! Don't die on me, my precious OS drive."

When I rolled back to version 4.3.5, everything works fine. Not sure what's the problem but it seems like Play 5 doesn't work with my current DAW setup of 2nd Gen core i5, 2.8Ghz CPU with 16GB ram , a 7200rpm Drive loaded with OS and midi sequencer as well as 4 SSD drive loaded with samples. Strange.....anyone has his problem ??

Not sure if you mean the Oxford EQ? If so all of the Sonnox stuff is fantastic for sure... Inflator is my personal favorite by them, it winds up in every template, from trailers to classical... I still haven't found a soft clipper I like nearly as much and it's very clean...

Actually, this is the exact same same channel strip :)
https://www2.solidstatelogic.com/studio/duende?active=0#&panel1-1

(It doesn't have the transient shaper though. That is part of the Drumstrip, and not 100 percent sure it's the same algorithm, but it does sound excellent.)

Another great alternative, (and very modestly priced) is the Metric Halo Channel Strip. It's not an SSL model so it doesn't sound identical, but it's very console-like, has a very smooth sound kind of like the Oxford, and very CPU friendly... They've also been running $25 flash sales the past two weeks. I have a feeling they will be putting a new plugin in the bundle on sale each week until the sale ends. If so you may be able to grab it for $25 so keep an eye on their site if it interests you...

https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/software/channelstrip-3.html

That a good site and they do the channel strip at a very fair price, when i picked mine up from waves they were doing some 4th of July crazy 50% voucher plus the SSL was at a sale price, so no brainier pick up for me.

when i have some time i will A and B them but must say the Waves SSL using it with the eq and the G master compressor is some crazy sound never heard anything like it. the G eq is a monster just putting on a chain with out moving the knobs can give you an unbelievable sound,

So many developers have emulated this channel strip just found another haha .even IK multimedia has one

so is it the oxford, England eq on the strip as the waves and the UAD version do not have this on them

I feel each version has a favorite sound or tone that its user can get out of it, also building off the presets is another great way to find a great sound.

Thanks for the link

I upgraded to Play 5. Somehow it freezes my DAW when I tried opening as Standalone or VST. Initially I thought it's my hard disk hicking up and felt "oh shit!! No! Don't die on me, my precious OS drive."

When I rolled back to version 4.3.5, everything works fine. Not sure what's the problem but it seems like Play 5 doesn't work with my current DAW setup of 2nd Gen core i5, 2.8Ghz CPU with 16GB ram , a 7200rpm Drive loaded with OS and midi sequencer as well as 4 SSD drive loaded with samples. Strange.....anyone has his problem ??
What DAW are you using,

That a good site and they do the channel strip at a very fair price, when i picked mine up from waves they were doing some 4th of July crazy 50% voucher plus the SSL was at a sale price, so no brainier pick up for me.

when i have some time i will A and B them but must say the Waves SSL using it with the eq and the G master compressor is some crazy sound never heard anything like it. the G eq is a monster just putting on a chain with out moving the knobs can give you an unbelievable sound,

So many developers have emulated this channel strip just found another haha .even IK multimedia has one

so is it the oxford, England eq on the strip as the waves and the UAD version do not have this on them

I feel each version has a favorite sound or tone that its user can get out of it, also building off the presets is another great way to find a great sound.

Thanks for the link

That's a great deal. Also I'm not saying Waves SSL is bad at all... It's quite good and it does add saturation without boosting the EQ which is nice... I just find I like a few other versions more, but whatever works for you is best.. ;) A good EQ dones't make a good engineer... Ultimately a good engineer can make almost any EQ work...

No the Oxford EQ has 4 emulations in one plugin. They're all a little different and some are more colorful than others. Although they have an SSL like mode I wouldn't saying it's trying to emulate an SSL per se... Regardless the Sonnox stuff is very versatile and gives you a nice range of choices... Waves' equivalent would be H-EQ.
(H-EQ actually being more versatile because you can have any band be any EQ shape you want... E.G. Neve shelves and SSL bells... or any other combination you like...)

Again, it's not the tools per se.. but when comparing SSL emulations I think Waves is a little behind... To me it sounds lie they haven't updated the algorithms to be quite as accurate as some of the newer emulations are, but I could be certainly wrong about that.. That being said, you or I could get a great sound with the Waves SSL if that were the only tool we had to work with... if you want a more genuine emulation you might want to demo a few of the other options and see if you like them more, but you'll be fine with Waves if that's what you prefer..

And yes, they each have their own tone. Some are a little better suited for one thing vs another, but they all are great tools compared to the early plugins that were available 15 years ago ;)

Cheers!

I'm using jbridge for the 64 plugin. Even play standalone also freezes

I think you will be better off with 4.35 version because Jbridge , your using a lot of 32bit plugins, this may be conflicting with play 5 as it is 64bit only. you could try with out jbridge and view the results

I just upgraded to Play 5... rarely use ew anymore due to slow loads and other Play issues but was considering what many say is a no brainer Diamond Hollywood Orchestral deal...and, liking what I heard...needed to see if Play still sucked. I knew there was a new Play engine but didn't care! I have lots of ewql stuff and always loved Pianos, sans the absurd load time...so I'd sorta said "F'it!"

Play 5??? I am very impressed...or, in a word, "WoW!"

Now the Hollywood package makes sense!

My holidays continue to get more expensive... Ark2 on the horizon, Sonokinetic 12 days of resistance is futile for soto and Grosso ... and now the Hollywood diamond deal looks very appealing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom