What's new

Piano Libraries, we have loves, favourites, unloved, but which one is your go to piano library?

most vst, with sustain pedal down, they sound very realistic and pleasant. But without pedal they are all a bit boxy. On an acoustic piano the sound is huge even without pedal, so what do you think?

It definitely makes it harder for me too feel the emotions while recording, but the result is just as emotional as I want and what I feel when playing is a low priority for me. My first album only exists in physical media but three of the tracks are here: https://soundcloud.com/andreas-landegren
That is with Ivory 2 and 13 live strings (overdubbed one time). That is back when I didn't have either the tools or knowledge I have now when it somes to mixing so hopefully it will be better this time around, even if I'm proud of the last album aswell.

This are two previews for my new album, this time it's the Walker piano with the room mics:

so nice, great music! if I can give you a tip, you should find a way to make it louder, we have the tendency to like things when they are loud enough, but in your tunes I had to adjust the vol, which tricks our brain into thinking that the song is good but not amazing, when in fact the tune itself is really amazing.

I've used the following sampled pianos in production library music tracks:

• Garritan CFX Full
• 8dio 1928 Steinway
• 8dio 1969 Steinway
• Native Instruments Una Corda
• Native Instruments Maverick
• Production Voices Production Grand (Yamaha C7)

They have all been used within a mix, some - like the Garritan CFX - more exposed than others.
I almost always have a varying chain of EQ, compression, saturation & reverb with them, even in the more exposed tracks, which has been a lengthy process of of listening, referencing, researching/reading and trial & error. It's always a fine balance between enhancing the sound to "commercial" standards without obvious processing (unless your going for that effect or sound by design). Acoustic pianos (real & sampled) can get a little muddy or congested in the 250-275kHz range, so it's often a frequency area worth keeping a check on even in solo piano tracks, and also employing a HPF on the piano if there are other bass heavy instruments in a multi instrument track.

Of my personal album releases which are on Spotify, Apple Music, Bandcamp etc. I've used the following sampled pianos, some in solo tracks:

• UVI Augmented Piano
• UVI Keysuite Acoustic Pianos
• Cinesamples Piano in Blue
• e-instruments Session Keys Upright Piano
• Michael Picher's Basilica Grand
• Piano Premier At First Light Steinway grand
• Imperfect Samples Braunschweig Upright
• Soundiron Emotional Piano (Kawai Grand)
• VSL Bosendorfer Upright
• VSL Vienna Imperial
+ some other sampled uprights
Damn! I don’t even understand why keeping so many libraries. I do agree that people like choices & yet, it looks like too many. I wonder if this hunger ends at all.

I'm kind of surprised not to see The Giant on here.

Of all the pianos I have from Komplete, besides The Grandeur, I've used that one the most, especially if I'm going for the Thomas Newman sound.

Damn! I don’t even understand why keeping so many libraries. I do agree that people like choices & yet, it looks like too many. I wonder if this hunger ends at all.
Craig is a professional piano player and producer. Each track may ask for a specific sound or character, and each of his customers will have their own requirements, demands, wishes and taste. He can cater to those by offering them different choices. So it’s pretty clear that he would have a decent palette of choices. It’s like a professional recording studio having ten guitar amplifiers around, because some clients prefer a VOX AC30 and others swear by a Twin Reverb. It’s why guitar players own and maintain various models of Strats, etcetera.

Craig is a professional piano player and producer. Each track may ask for a specific sound or character, and each of his customers will have their own requirements, demands, wishes and taste. He can cater to those by offering them different choices. So it’s pretty clear that he would have a decent palette of choices. It’s like a professional recording studio having ten guitar amplifiers around, because some clients prefer a VOX AC30 and others swear by a Twin Reverb. It’s why guitar players own and maintain various models of Strats, etcetera.
Yea I see guitar players do. But when it comes to Piano, I mostly think not many types yes I am addressing the Acoustic pieces but when it comes to the VIs, yea there are many but overall they possess the generic sound that a piano has to offer but yea there’s jazz, classical, rock and roll & pop yes & yea you can tell the difference like there’s from what you hear in a Natasha Bedingfield’s & Argerich’s but often I doubt how long, rather how fair a particular sample can justify the requirements of a particular project. I knew Hans got this old acoustic broken piano? for few cues in Man of Steel & that suited so well but these things, I guess, are more simplified when it comes to the sample libraries. You’re right but there are many free ones as well like few from Spitfire’s Pianobook? And sometimes, don’t you get confused with what you hear, when you have those many?

Yea I see guitar players do. But when it comes to Piano, I mostly think not many types yes I am addressing the Acoustic pieces but when it comes to the VIs, yea there are many but overall they possess the generic sound that a piano has to offer but yea there’s jazz, classical, rock and roll & pop yes & yea you can tell the difference like there’s from what you hear in a Natasha Bedingfield’s & Argerich’s but often I doubt how long, rather how fair a particular sample can justify the requirements of a particular project. I knew Hans got this old acoustic broken piano? for few cues in Man of Steel & that suited so well but these things, I guess, are more simplified when it comes to the sample libraries. You’re right but there are many free ones as well like few from Spitfire’s Pianobook? And sometimes, don’t you get confused with what you hear, when you have those many?
Exactly, the reason Pianobook exists is because there are so many nuances and differences, sometimes subtle - often pretty recognizable or even drastic - in tone, playability, response. People like to record that, sample it, in order to be able to share their experience with others. That’s why Pianobook is fun and a success.

Of course, I’d lie if I were to say to you I could distinguish between any and all pianos I own and use - either in context or exposed - but I do hear the differences. And sometimes I need the staccatissimo of the 8dio Yamaha C5 and at other times I feel I prefer the much softer tones of the Westwood Alt piano with some textures blended in. It’s like Simeon often says in his reviews or rather play-throughs... each piano has a distinct character and invokes different emotions and hence different playing.

And there is definitely a total irrational hoarding thing going on as well. You’re absolutely right about that :laugh:

Last edited:
I've been curious about the Miroslav Concert Grand, and like the tone I've heard in some Youtube clips. Any info you can share regarding the piano they sampled, and how many velocity layers? Does it also have release samples?
I have the old original Miroslav Gold, so I don't know if the pianos have been updated in IK's more recent Miroslav Philharmonik 2 package.

In Miroslav Gold, there are two pianos, a Steinway Concert Grand and simply a Grand Piano. I misspoke in my original post, it's not the Concert Grand that I prefer, but actually the Grand Piano, although both are very playable. These are simple and primitive instruments: 1 velocity layer and no release samples. The Grand Piano is split into two patches: Forte and MF. So between them, I suppose there are 2 velocity layers, but each patch still responds to velocity expressively.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I only use this piano for composing because I like the feel of how it plays and the consistent tone. For recording, I rely on other pianos, as mentioned in my post.

Soniccuture's The Hammersmith is my fav.

Its so rich harmonically, full of resonances and with 21 dynamic layers it has a smooth dynamic range.
It was recorded with top of the line mics, on a Neve console, in a top quality studio (Mark Knofler's), by an engineer that recorded and produced Rush, Supertramp, America, Paul McCartney, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck to name some.
Btw, I learned all that only AFTER I concluded I liked the piano that much :)

It was also recorded with a Neumann KU 100 dummy head binaural stereo microphone, an $8k+ mic in the player's position. I love this mic+position cause I like thinking its me playing lol
Also, it's a pretty dry piano, dry as in no 1.2sec tale woosh on all mics. it will work perfectly with any reverb (no room clash).

Of the deeply sampled I prefer it over Garritan CFX and Walker D.

Of the non deeply sampled pianos I like Vintage D, Signature, Granduer.
I don't like Noire, it has an auto filter on it that ruins it.

most vst, with sustain pedal down, they sound very realistic and pleasant. But without pedal they are all a bit boxy. On an acoustic piano the sound is huge even without pedal, so what do you think?

That's the big problem.
In my experience, PSP's pianoverb can help a lot; but it's some fiddling until you find the appropriate settings.
I use this as an insert – with only few wet and much more dry signal – before the 3D placement (usually precedence) and the reverbs.

There is also a free version (and it's really helpful too):
(broken link removed)

You should try this! At the point where you start hearing it, dial it back a bit.

Another thing that helps is saturation.
Although it's not "natural", it helps to get a more natural result, since the interaction of different notes brings out specific frequencies which on their part get enriched by the saturation.
So the "saturation" mimics in some way the resonances that are going on in the real thing.
(Another advantage of saturation: if you have e.g. two notes within the same velocity layer, the sample will in both cases have the same spectral content – opposed to the real thing. With saturation, the louder note gets more saturation, so the louder played sample has more additional spectral content.

Of course, what i described in regards to the saturation, is – mildly put – not exactly scientific. ;)
But the results you can get (specially with multiband saturation) are really good.

Last edited:
That's the big problem.
In my experience, PSP's pianoverb can help a lot; but it's some fiddling until you find the appropriate settings.
I use this as an insert – with only few wet and much more wet signal – before the 3D placement (usually precedence) and the reverbs.

There is also a free version (and it's really helpful too):
(broken link removed)

You should try this! At the point where you start hearing it, dial it back a bit.

Another thing that helps is saturation.
Although it's not "natural", it helps to get a more natural result, since the interaction of different notes brings out specific frequencies which on their part get enriched by the saturation.
So the "saturation" mimics in some way the resonances that are going on in the real thing.
(Another advantage of saturation: if you have e.g. two notes within the same velocity layer, the sample will in both cases have the same spectral content – opposed to the real thing. With saturation, the louder note gets more saturation, so the louder played sample has more additional spectral content.

Of course, what i described in regards to the saturation, is – mildly put – not exactly scientific. ;)
But the results you can get (specially with multiband saturation) are really good.

without pedal, I like the comb between piano and 60' electric piano, I know it's not realistic, but it sounds more inspiring. Reverb it's ok with earphones, but if you use the speakers, the room is going to be your "reverb", your room is added to the vst (wich is not happening when using headphones).

without pedal, I like the comb between piano and 60' electric piano, I know it's not realistic, but it sounds more inspiring. Reverb it's ok with earphones, but if you use the speakers, the room is going to be your "reverb", your room is added to the vst (wich is not happening when using headphones).

Fortunately in my studio, the room is not "my reverb", since it's treated.
However, i was writing about producing music not about playing around for fun.

If MIDI is what you want, there's this. But I can't figure out where to download the files. I think you need to become a supporter on Patreon:

Soniccuture's The Hammersmith is my fav.

Its so rich harmonically, full of resonances and with 21 dynamic layers it has a smooth dynamic range.
It was recorded with top of the line mics, on a Neve console, in a top quality studio (Mark Knofler's), by an engineer that recorded and produced Rush, Supertramp, America, Paul McCartney, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck to name some.
Btw, I learned all that only AFTER I concluded I liked the piano that much :)

It was also recorded with a Neumann KU 100 dummy head binaural stereo microphone, an $8k+ mic in the player's position. I love this mic+position cause I like thinking its me playing lol
Also, it's a pretty dry piano, dry as in no 1.2sec tale woosh on all mics. it will work perfectly with any reverb (no room clash).

Of the deeply sampled I prefer it over Garritan CFX and Walker D.

Of the non deeply sampled pianos I like Vintage D, Signature, Granduer.
I don't like Noire, it has an auto filter on it that ruins it.
I'm a big fan of the Hammersmith Pro. The mic selection, signal path, sampling and scripting is top notch. Playability is excellent, and having proper sustain pedal down samples really does make a difference to the "3D-ness" of the piano sound. The clarity and depth of the bass in that sampled piano is fantastic, and the mid range sounds open and natural, unlike many sampled pianos which really struggle with this region and have a hollow sound an octave either side of middle C. If the treble was a bit more full & resonant I think it would be my equal first choice with the VSL Vienna Imperial. I'm really glad to have both as they suit different types of material.

What he said! :)

My favs are Keyscape Cinematic (with tweaks), Heavyocity Ascend and Westwood Upright. I like Grandeur too but I don't use it as much

Noir always gets loaded first... Actually I get loaded first lol but noir is my first piano choice then cinepiano. They never let me down. Very playable and have a good sound that I have in my head when I think of piano. I tried Hammersmith, pearl, production voices Gold and almost every other piano on market including embertone walker none sounded great to me. I have garritan but haven't installed yet. I always forget I bought it.

Mmmm that's like saying all chocolate cake tastes the same. Sure, all pianos have a certain "sound" - they sound like a piano. But there are infinite variations in tone, playability, artistic inspiration, and sheer joy or lack thereof, when playing on them. And as an artist, I like different sounds available. They very much do not all sound the same to me.

I like all flavors.

Top Bottom