What's new

Perhaps I Should Consider A New Audio Interface ?

DaddyO

I bought a Steinberg UR22 (original model) some time around 2013, and it has served me well for more than ten years. I have used the Steinberg and then Yamaha Steinberg ASIO drivers, never any problem with VE Pro, Cubase, Dorico, or Studio One. All of a sudden after updating Studio One to 6.6 it began returning a consistent, constant stuttering from any track connected to VE Pro. (Tracks that hosted the Synchron Player directly were not affected.)

If I switched Studio One's audio setting for ASIO from the Yamaha Steinberg driver to Windows Audio, the problem disappeared. My driver was the current version.

I could, of course, experiment with different ASIO drivers that will work (and I no doubt will), but I could also consider whether it is time for me to get a new, reputable audio interface.

My requirements are:

1. No audio input needed, I do not record any instruments or vocals. But I expect that whatever I get will probably have a least one or two inputs I don't need.

2. Single stereo L/R outputs, single headphone jack with separate gain controls for practical reasons.

3. I work exclusively with virtual instruments in a DAW using MIDI and a MIDI keyboard, so low latency is a factor and I believe built in ASIO is important. I am a hobbyist who tries to find the sweet spot for my limited budget.

4. I don't hit the road with my gear, so build quality is only needed for desktop performance. Still, I hate cheap junk.

5. My budget is the best sweet spot under $200.

I am familiar of course with Steinberg's line, but I'm also aware of Focusrite Scarlett Solo (which does not have a separate gain control that affects only the headphones), as well as the Presonus line. Things like RME are beyond my means and my needs.

Since I haven't even thought about this in over ten years, is there anything else or any other product line I ought to be looking at?

Also, what are the best, most universal ASIO drivers out there in 2024?

Thanks for any help.

I'll check that out, thanks. My very first audio interface back in the day was an entry level MOTU, don't remember what it was called.

Well this is interesting. After two weeks of consistent trouble with stuttering, the problem has simply disappeared, at least for now. Same Yamaha Steinberg driver, but audio working properly. Could be just switching drivers back and forth along with a couple of system restarts have shaken some cobwebs somewhere in there.

This topic is moot for now.

I have many Presonus models, Audiobox iOne, Audiobox USB, Studio 1824, all work perfectly on Windows 10 and Mac

I bought a Steinberg UR22 (original model) some time around 2013, and it has served me well for more than ten years. I have used the Steinberg and then Yamaha Steinberg ASIO drivers, never any problem with VE Pro, Cubase, Dorico, or Studio One. All of a sudden after updating Studio One to 6.6 it began returning a consistent, constant stuttering from any track connected to VE Pro. (Tracks that hosted the Synchron Player directly were not affected.)

If I switched Studio One's audio setting for ASIO from the Yamaha Steinberg driver to Windows Audio, the problem disappeared. My driver was the current version.

I could, of course, experiment with different ASIO drivers that will work (and I no doubt will), but I could also consider whether it is time for me to get a new, reputable audio interface.

My requirements are:

1. No audio input needed, I do not record any instruments or vocals. But I expect that whatever I get will probably have a least one or two inputs I don't need.

2. Single stereo L/R outputs, single headphone jack with separate gain controls for practical reasons.

3. I work exclusively with virtual instruments in a DAW using MIDI and a MIDI keyboard, so low latency is a factor and I believe built in ASIO is important. I am a hobbyist who tries to find the sweet spot for my limited budget.

4. I don't hit the road with my gear, so build quality is only needed for desktop performance. Still, I hate cheap junk.

5. My budget is the best sweet spot under $200.

I am familiar of course with Steinberg's line, but I'm also aware of Focusrite Scarlett Solo (which does not have a separate gain control that affects only the headphones), as well as the Presonus line. Things like RME are beyond my means and my needs.

Since I haven't even thought about this in over ten years, is there anything else or any other product line I ought to be looking at?

Also, what are the best, most universal ASIO drivers out there in 2024?

Thanks for any help.
Remember: if the question is, "Should I get a new ____?" then the answer is always yes.

Has anyone tried the Ferrofish Pulse?

I'm currently thinking to replace my Scarlett interface (using RME PciE for the card) with this but I'm not sure how this one handles incoming signal without preamps.

Haven't used it in person but I've only heard really, really good things about the Ferrofish. By all accounts it's a seriously pro piece of gear, on par with RME and certainly a step up from the Scarlett line.

What does your I/O look like? Are you using the Scarlett just for its analog inputs, and then feeding those to your RME? I'm honestly a little confused! For the price of the Ferrofish, I'd just replace your whole thing with an RME Babyface, personally, but I may misunderstand your intentions. :)

Just finished group of YT Audio I/F reviews. Added Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen months ago.
Impressed with RME, but I/O is issue ..... as is added cost of Ferrofish Pulse 16. Several hardware
Poly /Mono synths, drum machines _ more to come.

Reviews brought Audient iD 22 /44 to top of current 'justifiably-affordable' list. Wondering about member experiences and comments here.

Last edited:
Reviews brought Audient iD 22 /44 to top of current 'justifiably-affordable' list. Wondering about member experiences and comments here.
I had an Audient some years ago. Great sound (preamps, ADDA, etc). Used it for a couple of years on macOS without issues.

But then I experienced a couple of issues on Windows. Spent weeks with Audient's support with no solution. Ended up getting another interface and gifted the Audient to a nephew who still uses it on macOS.

I imagine at this point Audient have probably improved their software but that experience turned me off from their products.

A lot of folks on the audio internet forget the important of software with audio interfaces/converters. That's reason enough for me to stick with RME for the foreseeable future, they're the best in that regard (fortunately, I love the hardware too).

I haven't used it personally but I know some folks who swear by the Metric Halo line. I think they code their own drivers, like RME does, and offer excellent support. They seem to be a very good US-based alternative to RME. Keeping those mighty German engineers on their toes! 😁

On Windows 10 here and I used to have a Focusrite Forte before I blew it up last year. I got an Audient ID14 MK2 and the audio quality is better. I'm really pleased with it. However it can't handle my projects as well as the Forte did. Playback at 1024 samples/48khz seems to stutter under less load than the Forte did. I'm disappointed as the Forte was discontinued years ago and driver support stopped then too so it hadn't been optimised in a long time and it still beat the Audient when playing back large VST tracks.

I had an Audient some years ago. Great sound (preamps, ADDA, etc). Used it for a couple of years on macOS without issues.

But then I experienced a couple of issues on Windows. Spent weeks with Audient's support with no solution. Ended up getting another interface and gifted the Audient to a nephew who still uses it on macOS.

I imagine at this point Audient have probably improved their software but that experience turned me off from their products.
Helpful stuff 'all', and being realistic when adjusting for past issues.
RME would be soooo cool, but not when I/O needs force FerrofishPulse 16 _ especially in Home Studio scenario.
Current Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen has been fine, over several months, but now fully loaded I/O.
Could just add another, with expectations setby great info here ! THX to all !

Metric Halo gets another careful check. (edit) oops .... so does bank account ! 💸💸

ALL this flying in the face of imminent new Audio Win11 Pro PC build !
Gotta think in terms of several years needs going forward ...... 😓

Last edited:

I've had great luck with the iD14 (original) with Windows and agree about the pres and conversion. But I only use it for portable out-of-home remote recording, which is only every so often, so it hasn't had to deal with daily long hard use...

...Anymore, it seems that any of these $200-ish USB boxes will be okay, and what one pays for are bells-&-whistles and build quality until getting to the much higher price point. And because of the social media content creation craze, most of the new ones are adding enough gain to accommodate the SM7B without a Fethead or Cloudlifter thingy.

Helpful stuff 'all', and being realistic when adjusting for past issues.
RME would be soooo cool, but not when I/O needs force FerrofishPulse 16 _ especially in Home Studio scenario.
Current Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen has been fine, over several months, but now fully loaded I/O.
Could just add another, with expectations setby great info here ! THX to all !

Metric Halo gets another careful check. (edit) oops .... so does bank account ! 💸💸

ALL this flying in the face of imminent new Audio Win11 Pro PC build !
Gotta think in terms of several years needs going forward ...... 😓
What are your needs in terms of IO?

Are you using the 4 line inputs in the Scarlett? If not, you could just get some external preamps.

No ! Having added Sequential Prophet 5 /Trigon 6 /Pro-3 SE /Elektron -Digitone /Korg - Drumlogue/ IK-M - UNO Drum / existing DeepMind 12 ..... brings I/O to max.

Have plodded along with (2) vintage Saffire Pro14(s) for many years, but new PC will not have Firewire.

Was hoping newest Audient iD44 MkII might resolve past issues ! Maybe not .....
Ha! Yes, adding hardware will increase one's I/O requirements, as I have also lately discovered...

Top Bottom