What's new

Percussion library for action-thriller scoring?

Boberg

I'm about to start scoring an action thriller movie, and I'm interested in picking up a new percussion library for it. The only percussion specific library I have right now is StormDrum 2.

I'm looking for something that has quite an epic feel to it, but that can also do the smaller more intense percussion. I've been looking at HZ Percussion, which sounds really cool. But there are obviously other great alternatives.

What would you suggest for scoring an action thriller in terms of percussion?

Thank you!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I will dive into all the information I can find regarding these, and hopefully I can come to a conclusion.

Bringing this old thread back as I've delayed my purchase of an action percussion library quite a lot. I'm currently deciding between HZ perc, Strikeforce and Damage, and I'd love to hear some thoughts on the main differences between these libraries? What are their strengths or weaknesses?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some information!

one of the main differences to me is the room size.

damage - tight and small, a bit too small for my taste - not enough to provide the explosive smack, although its augmented with fake hall reverb. it has a particular overcompressed and highmid spiky quality to it, you can probably hear it on demos - thats how it sounds.
hzp - the opposite, a very long natural church reverb, a bit too long and muddy for my taste.
strikeforce is somewhere inbetween, its a very big open overproduced and hard hitting sound - be aware that its really in the trailer territory. super epic for the most part but is capable of a more deep and soft beds.

damage is the most detailed library and contains lots and lots of instruments and is sampled rather meticulously, tons of content.

strikeforce is a selection of various ensembles, lots of samples per instrument aswell. a great option, lots of different useful stuff

hzp is what it is. if you like how Air sounds for percussion - might be your thing. Id say its beauty lies within softer hits, and a more sparse sounding arrangements. the higher velocities tend to sound unpredictable and sloppy due to RRs being too different from each other. Its definitely not for extremely clear and upfront epic stuff in my view. if your context is mostly orchestral - it would fit nicely

All you can do is to listen to as many demos as you can and decide which one speaks to you sonically. all of them are quality, just really really different

Last edited:
Hi,
Here's some other libraries you might wanna look at:
Strezov Sampling Thunder x3m
Auddict Drums of The Deep II - Unleashed
Metropolis Ark 3 has some hardcore badass percussion as i've heard
Cinesamples CinePerc Epic
Evolution Series World Percussion 2

but after all, since you have stormdrum 2, i'd guess Damage is the most suitable for you.
you can layer them with each other and ...

Would recommend you to check out Audio Imperia’s new release Cerberus aswell. Reeeeeally good sounding library for both organic and hybrid action percussion. Very easy to work with, and great sounding out of the box.
DJ put out a video about it just recently.

Thank you all for your replies!

I must say that this sounds absolutely amazing, really impressed with the sound in the demos. Getting a slight "The Witcher 3" feel from some of the tracks, which is a lovely game soundtrack. However, I'm more in need of more hybrid percussion as I already own SD2 Pro. But this is definitely on my to get list!

In the end I believe I'll go with Strikeforce, I think it'll complement my current arsenal well.

Thank you all again for the help!

Resurrecting this thread to say that SAGA is on sale for a limited period at 55% OFF - Now just €59.

Absolute bargain if you ask me.
Wow! Amazing price. Bargain to say the least:)
Got it at ~130$ and really love the sound of it...so if I didn't own it already, definitely would get it for that price:)

Top Bottom