What's new

Orchestration Recipes Discussion Thread

Anyone successfully buy VSS 2 recently?
I wrote to the company many times without getting any reply!!! Many people are complaining about this and we feel this product unfortunately is no longer supported. I much prefer investing in software that I know they are going to give you support when you need it and future updates.

The good news is that you can try it for free as long as you want with all the features enabled but the only drawback is that you cannot save your settings.

Cheers,

Max

Actually, some of the Orchestration Recipes are a bit easier in a DAW:
o Recipe #19 requirs "String" samples, not violins, violas, etc. For example, at least one of the recipes requires violins to play below "G".
It seems you're using the examples as the recipes, and they are not. Of course, you can do that if you want, but the course is clearly designed for you to write (and often play in) each part of your own composition. The performance element of course lends itself to DAWs; this gives practice doing what many composers end up doing as a primary input method.

Again, if you found something that works for you, great. Yesterday when figuring out a 5-voice chord progression for harp, I used step input and "q-flam" in Logic to easily arpeggiate them.

It seems you're using the examples as the recipes, and they are not. Of course, you can do that if you want, but the course is clearly designed for you to write (and often play in) each part of your own composition. The performance element of course lends itself to DAWs; this gives practice doing what many composers end up doing as a primary input method.

Again, if you found something that works for you, great. Yesterday when figuring out a 5-voice chord progression for harp, I used step input and "q-flam" in Logic to easily arpeggiate them.
Well, almost. I use the examples as starting points. That is, I enter the recipes as written, then I extend them to make them longer and more like a paragraph, rather than just a sentence.

Well, almost. I use the examples as starting points. That is, I enter the recipes as written, then I extend them to make them longer and more like a paragraph, rather than just a sentence.
Very nice. I often struggle with turning an 8 bar idea into a full piece, and I wouldn't have thought to use OR primarily for working on that. Cheers!

But still, you should actually just use the recipes as a template based on their themes, and write new compositions from scratch. You wouldn't want to get into copywrite issues with using the notes that Phlilip wrote. That'sl called plagiarism. (no offense, just stating facts)

But still, you should actually just use the recipes as a template based on their themes, and write new compositions from scratch. You wouldn't want to get into copywrite issues with using the notes that Phlilip wrote. That'sl called plagiarism. (no offense, just stating facts)
Of course. That goes without saying--I would never distribute the tracks. I use them simply as references, for my own education.

I think these are great. I like the approach of getting to a certain sound and the various ways to get there.

These are great exercises and are not short cuts as I saw someone suggest. They get you familiar with combinations that sound nice together and give certain moods/ feelings that you can alter or draw from later as ideas. It's a nice fresh way to approach this. Well worth it.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new product in Jan?
I was trying to recall what was said if it was January or the beginning of the year that could extend the date beyond January :)
In a thread about a sale for volumes 1 and 2, Philip posted the following:
No further sales then until after the launch of the expansion, some time in Q1-Q2, 2022.
Which I would assume means it's estimated to be within the first half of the year.

Top Bottom