What's new

Orchestration Recipes Discussion Thread

Bought it yesterday...
I'm ENTIRELY IN LOVE!

Great idea, the site and the fruition are top notch.
Really useful for transcribing, for starting new tracks, experimenting and balancing templates, reading scores, importing midi...
All this for 30$ (26 euros)?!
Could we ask for more? I don't think, really

And it's just the beginning, would be very very interesting if we all could be able to share more recipes also here in this forum, who knows...

Highly recommended

Max

It's not often you find a lot of replies suggesting that the price of something should be raised!
That aside, I bought the course, and have watched a few lessons and opened them up in Cubase..good way to also find out the capabilities / limitations of your libraries. But I think that we all agree that to start cooking, you also need the harmonic /melodic "meat" to go with the spicing and presentation..But it's an orchestration course, not a harmony course.

But I think that we all agree that to start cooking, you also need the harmonic /melodic "meat" to go with the spicing and presentation..
That's correct. These are "orchestration" recipes, not "composition" recipes. We need to bring our own harmonic and melodic ideas to the table first ;)

Hi Phillip,

I am inclined to think you have made this too cheap for the quality on offer - But not complaining ;)

How about a Two Tier price - You could charge more for a Downloadable version of the PDFs + Videos ?

Just a thought !

Hi Phillip,

I am inclined to think you have made this too cheap for the quality on offer - But not complaining ;)

How about a Two Tier price - You could charge more for a Downloadable version of the PDFs + Videos ?

Just a thought !
This question keeps coming up, has got me thinking—maybe it might be worth me bundling all the recipes into a single desk reference book...would contain all the chef's notes, examples and scores for the entire collection, Amazon would deliver it, all shiny and ready to use, so it can sit on composer's desks.

Not as a replacement for the existing recipes, but a convenient offline companion reference.

Thoughts?

This question keeps coming up, has got me thinking—maybe it might be worth me bundling all the recipes into a single desk reference book...would contain all the chef's notes, examples and scores for the entire collection, Amazon would deliver it, all shiny and ready to use, so it can sit on composer's desks.

Not as a replacement for the existing recipes, but a convenient offline companion reference.

Thoughts?
That does sound like a good idea, as you say not a replacement but a complement to this set of recipes, ideal as a reference book.

Would also like to chime in and say that being able to download the material would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm in a rural canadian area where internet speed varies from 1MBS/down all the way down to literally now working at all. Being able to download the PDFs / Videos would allow me to always have access to the material and not have my horrid connection getting in the way :)

just wanted to chime in as a happy hobbyist customer. This is a really well thought-out and well-executed learning resource, from the bite-sized lessons, to the really helpful chef's notes that make it a lot more meaningful than "just" a collection of stuff that works.

I'm sure people have suggested it before (I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread), but two things that would be great would be:

-distinctive names (that ideally give a clue about what the recipe is about)
-maybe some categories, or even better, a tagging system (e.g. woodwinds, romantic, heroic)

Looking forward to hopefully lots more recipe collections! (maybe themed ones?)

Edit: Just saw the names have already been implemented :)

Last edited:
Hi @PhilipJohnston ,

You have made such a useful library of orchestration recipes, I got VOL. 1, and am enjoying it a lot, learning some quite interesting orchestration ideas, and getting ideas of my own.

This is a revolutionary, modern method to learn orchestration, so much more fun, and helpful than the old fashion orchestration text books I have read, they are super dry, and get boring super fast.

Thank You so much for making Orchestration Recipes a reality, it will surely be a helpful learning tool for many composers, and I look forward to more Volumes in the future.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
bundling all the recipes into a single desk reference book
I'm a 70yo midi hobbyist. I have no printed books at my workstation.

OrchestrationRecipes is an excellent melding of computer based educational techniques. I'd like you to pour your ongoing creative efforts into more and varied content that utilize the web based model.

I could see a benefit for some subscribers in providing materials that can be used offlline but you need to protect your content and income stream.

But for me a printed book is a bridge too far.

Hi @PhilipJohnston ,

You have made such a useful library of orchestration recipes, I got VOL. 1, and am enjoying it a lot, learning some quite interesting orchestration ideas, and getting ideas of my own.

This is a revolutionary, modern method to learn orchestration, so much more fun, and helpful than the old fashion orchestration text books I have read, they are super dry, and get boring super fast.

Thank You so much for making Orchestration Recipes a reality, it will surely be a helpful learning tool for many composers, and I look forward to more Volumes in the future.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Revolutionary is the right word, bcs this was one of last holds of old school composers. First we took their fancy "composer" schools, then they tried to hold on to their dusty theory books.

The wall is broken.

Viva la revolución! Rimsky-Korsakov is dead.

I'd like you to pour your ongoing creative efforts into more and varied content that utilize the web based model.

I second this suggestion. Honestly, the real value for me comes from the notes, scores, audio examples, and midi for 2 variations. I find the videos to be less valuable due to the slower-paced branding elements which consume time without being information rich, but I understand why they’re included. Also, I think anyone doing this knows the basics of recording parts in their DAW. Perhaps @PhilipJohnston might consider discussing the details he provides in the notes in future videos.

I’ve downloaded/screenshot the content I describe above and organized it in my digital notebook. (Apple Notes in my case.) It makes it easy to browse, search, and study on all my devices which increases engagement and synthesis. There are ways to access the content offline and outside the interface it’s presented in, it just depends on how invested one is in obtaining it. That said, all content creators deserve to reap the benefits of their labor, and I understand concern over piracy. Perhaps @PhilipJohnston could investigate providing assets watermarked with the subscriber’s email address? I know this is possible with pdf.

I’ve studied the usual Adler, Piston, Rimsky-Korsakov books and find this much more engaging. However, orchestration resources like this (or Sonuscore’s TOC2 presets, etc.) still lack consideration of the larger forms available to the composer and how to connect these discrete recipes together into a coherent whole. I’d value instruction on dovetailing, pyramiding, planing, outlining, interlocking and bracketing, sandwiching, static blurring, etc. Like this:

To put it another way, I’ve got many “8 bar loop“ projects cluttering my drive. I need more March, Minuet, Rondo, Binary, Ternary, and Sonata projects. Or to use the analogy of this series, how do I connect these recipes to create a seven course feast? Coda of con sord creme brûlée with light horn glaze anyone? ;)

Fantastic work @PhilipJohnston! Looking forward to the future! :)

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Would buy..

Thoughts?
Personally, not something I'd be interested in, as I try to avoid acquiring "physical stuff" (yes, I know... when the big nuclear magnetic pulse hits, I'll end up having nothing). But this is a great idea that I think would appeal to lots of people. Plus having something on offer thru Amazon can potentially gain exposure to a wider audience.

A book sounds like a great idea - I'd be in. But I guess would need some more recipes to make it book-sized. :)

Btw, anyone else having problems with the audio loading speed? All videos load and play fine, but the audio is loading sooo slowly (20 kb/s) that it almost never is quick enough to actually play the audio.

Top Bottom